Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How crucial is temp control during secondary fermentation?  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
How crucial is temp control during secondary fermentation?
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:48:53 am »
I've got an invitation to go out of town for a few days and won't be able to maintain stable temp in swamp cooler for secondary fermentation.  Primary was kept as close to 64F as possible adding ice twice daily.  If I set the temp on my household thermostat to 72F, for a few days, how will this affect fermentation?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

narvin

Re: How crucial is temp control during secondary fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:53:01 am »
I've got an invitation to go out of town for a few days and won't be able to maintain stable temp in swamp cooler for secondary fermentation.  Primary was kept as close to 64F as possible adding ice twice daily.  If I set the temp on my household thermostat to 72F, for a few days, how will this affect fermentation?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Not important.  Raising temperature at the end of fermentation can encourage full attenuation without any flavor impact.   Secondary is not really fermentation, just "conditioning", and warmer temperatures are OK (to a degree... 70s is fine).

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 12:06:15 pm »
Yep.  Agreed with Narvin.  You will be just fine, even if the beer gets up to 75F (providing primary fermentation is fully completed).

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 04:27:34 pm »
+2 to everything they said.  You'll actually get a cleaner beer out of it, provided fermentation is already complete.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline bondra76

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 07:59:44 am »
I don't temp control any of my secondary fermenters. Only my primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 09:41:04 am »
Generally speaking the first 72 hours are the most important times to keep fermentation temp under control. That means there is no need to maintain 64 degrees in a swamp cooler after that initial 3 days. In fact, it's probably better if you let the temp rise at that point.