Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why is the highest temp beer has reached in fermentation used for priming calc?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
I know many recommend that, but I don't know why.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Because that determines the estimated amount of CO2 remaining after fermentation.

Offline brewinhard

On a side note, when I used to bottle, I would only use the temperature of the beer at bottling time for my number.  Got great carbonation to style with this.  Granted, I was mostly bottling around 68F which is pretty darn close to most peak fermentation temps so there could be negligible difference.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Because that determines the estimated amount of CO2 remaining after fermentation.
To go into a bit more detail, CO2 solubility is based on temperature. Warmer liquid holds less CO2. Once active fermentation is done, there is no more CO2 being produced by the yeast. So at that point any CO2 lost from solution as it warms will not be replaced even if the temperature drops after that point. The warmest temperature reached represents the point where there's the lowest CO2 concentration in the beer and is the best estimate of the amount of CO2 that is actually in the finished beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
On a side note, when I used to bottle, I would only use the temperature of the beer at bottling time for my number.  Got great carbonation to style with this.  Granted, I was mostly bottling around 68F which is pretty darn close to most peak fermentation temps so there could be negligible difference.

I think in reality the only time there would be a huge difference compared to actual beer temps is if you cold crash prior to bottling and are trying to use the cold-crash temp instead of the temp at the end of fermentation in your priming calculations.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

I think in reality the only time there would be a huge difference compared to actual beer temps is if you cold crash prior to bottling and are trying to use the cold-crash temp instead of the temp at the end of fermentation in your priming calculations.

Agreed.  Then you might be screwed.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma

Agreed.  Then you might be screwed.
Especially if you could crashed a saison.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Technically, it's not the highest temp but rather the temp at which fermentation finished.  Usually those are so close that it doesn't matter.  But in theory you could ferment a lager with a robust yeast like 34/70 at 50F, bring it up to 68F for a short D-rest, then drop it down to 46F to finish fermenting.  I doubt anyone would do that but, if you did, you would use 46F for priming calculation.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.