Other than Brewing > The Pub

The Martini Thread

(1/5) > >>

I know there was one of these over on the-forum-that-shall-not-be-named, but it's gone now and was several years old anyway.

So, who else likes martinis? What's your secret? Is there some delicious but obscure gin I'm missing out on? In the name of lively discussion, I'll allow non-martini cocktails as long as they are substantially martini-esque. I'll even allow vodka!

Here are my (possibly excessive) thoughts on the subject: http://seanterrill.com/2009/05/14/the-perfect-martini/

--- Quote ---Ingredients
1/3 jigger (0.5 fl oz) Martini & Rossi dry vermouth
3 jiggers (4.5 fl oz) Bombay Sapphire gin
2 large olives
4 large ice cubes

Place cocktail glass in the freezer to chill.
Soak olives in cold water for 10-15 minutes to remove brine.
Add gin, vermouth, and ice to cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
Strain into the chilled cocktail glass and add olives.
Wait 60 seconds for the drink to come to thermal equilibrium (watch the condensation on the glass), then enjoy.
--- End quote ---

Well, first of all you need to get rid of that gin and get yourself a nice bottle of Ketel One ;)

And as far as the vermouth goes I'll quote the bartender from my favorite martini bar in State College, PA (well the only martini bar there i guess):

Regular Martini:  Toss in a few drops of vermouth
Dry Martini:  Toss in a drop of vermouth
Extra Dry Martini:  Toss a drop of vermouth up in the air in the general direction of the martini glass and if it goes in, so be it

In all seriousness I know you're talking about good old traditional martinis here but I could never get on board with gin.  I like the smooth clean taste of cold vodka.  And I've graduated from the above measurements and appreciate a little more vermouth character in my martinis now.

So my vodka martini recipe (dirty) goes like this:

7 parts Ketel One
1 part Noilly Prat dry vermouth
Splash of olive juice
All of the above into the sufficient ice and stir
Pour into chilled cocktail glass and add olives

As a nice change I enjoy olives hand stuffed with sun dried tomatoes.

Pawtucket Patriot:
Every so often, I enjoy a beefeater gin martini, dirty.  I like to add just enough vermouth to kiss the rocks.  Then add the gin, some olive juice, and shake.  Pour into chilled martini glass and garnish with some speared olives.

--- Quote from: tygo on November 12, 2009, 08:11:55 PM ---So my vodka martini recipe (dirty) goes like this:

--- End quote ---

I'm sorry but you can't make a martini with vodka. It is against the law in some countries  8)

You can't go wrong with Bombay Sapphire, it is an excellent gin. The secret is to soak the olives in gin for a few weeks. I never considered washing the olives before soaking.

--- Quote from: glitterbug on November 13, 2009, 09:20:16 AM ---The secret is to soak the olives in gin for a few weeks.
--- End quote ---

That's interesting. I know some people soak them in vermouth (which I personally don't like, they pick up way too much flavor) but I'd never heard of using gin.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version