Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home sound system  (Read 7071 times)

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Home sound system
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 08:10:38 pm »
I had a couple hundred LPs back in the day.  I was in the Army, and my roommate (also in the Army) was transferring to Germany.   The movers came and packed all my LPs with his.
Then, on the boat over to Germany, they all melted.  This was when CDs started coming out anyways, so I wasn't all that upset.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 03:34:55 am »
I've been doing a lot of research in that area as well, but what I'm looking for will be home theater capable, but music-centric. For a receiver, I've settled on Marantz. If I were you, I wouldn't rule them out. Or Denon or Onkyo. What I've learned is that, with 1500-3000 budget, you'll find yourself limited. I started with a 1500 euro budget, but I've already decided I need to spend 3k to get close to what I want with receiver and speakers. If you're only going 2-speaker stereo, that should help.

I've been all over for reviews, but I go mostly to these guys:
http://www.whathifi.com/

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 06:00:25 am »
Have you tried audiophile forums? They give lousy homebrewing advice but might help here.
Edit: Keith, this made me think of a friend who is on audiophile forums and loves vinyl. He has a sick system at his house, he's into it like we are into homebrewing (he doesn't drink). He makes his own contraptions for stabilizing the turntable etc. He also likes helping out people and he has some time because he is a self employed livery service. If your interested PM me and I'll ask if he's interested in corresponding with you. Seriously, I bet he would be happy to do it and he's definitely your guy for this stuff.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:25:14 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 11:04:06 am »
I've been doing a lot of research in that area as well, but what I'm looking for will be home theater capable, but music-centric. For a receiver, I've settled on Marantz. If I were you, I wouldn't rule them out. Or Denon or Onkyo. What I've learned is that, with 1500-3000 budget, you'll find yourself limited. I started with a 1500 euro budget, but I've already decided I need to spend 3k to get close to what I want with receiver and speakers. If you're only going 2-speaker stereo, that should help.

[/quote

That was my approach as well.  Ended up with a Denon.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 11:29:54 am »

[/quote

I've got Denon right now.  I hate the remote.  It has two frickin' sides and more buttons then Carter has peanuts.  But it sounds just fine.

I need more HDMI hook ups, so I'll be moving to a Marantz probably.  My oldest extant receiver is a Harmon Kardon.  Love it.  I'll also be looking into what they have these days.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 12:06:50 pm »

I've got Denon right now.  I hate the remote.  It has two frickin' sides and more buttons then Carter has peanuts.  But it sounds just fine.

I need more HDMI hook ups, so I'll be moving to a Marantz probably.  My oldest extant receiver is a Harmon Kardon.  Love it.  I'll also be looking into what they have these days.

I think the Denon I got has 6-7 HDMI ins.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 12:11:51 pm »
HDMI? Remotes? My HiFi is a little old school, not vacuum tube old school, but I bought it in '74&75 when I got out of college. Paid a lot for it, and still have it. Mac MR-78, C-28, Mac 2100 amp. Other than some power supply issues on the amp and tuner, still working fine.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:39:35 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

RPIScotty

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 12:14:43 pm »
...not vacuum tube old school, but...

I have been contemplating an EL-34 powered Hi-Fi for years now but fear I wouldn't have the spare time to assemble it.

The owner of an electronics shop in Troy, NY I used to frequent built an excellent dual single ended EL-34 stereo that sounded incredible.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 12:20:10 pm »
I think the Denon I got has 6-7 HDMI ins.

Yours is newer than mine.  Mine has 1.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 08:42:51 pm »
HDMI? Remotes? My HiFi is a little old school, not vacuum tube old school, but I bought it in '74&75 when I got out of college. Paid a lot for it, and still have it. Mac MR-78, C-28, Mac 2100 amp. Other than some power supply issues on the amp and tuner, still working fine.
That sounds like an awesome system Jeff. As I posted earlier, I remember seeing Mac components going for a lot more than my whole system at the store I bought from
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 08:45:37 pm »
That sounds like an awesome system Jeff. As I posted earlier, I remember seeing Mac components going for a lot more than my whole system at the store I bought from

First really nice things I ever bought. Buy once, cry once. I still have those, so over 41 years, not so bad.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 08:48:04 pm »
That is awesome, wish I never had to sell mine. Can't imagine I'm going back that route at this point in life. But the buy once thought pattern was exactly what I had in mind when I bought those components
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 12:48:26 am »
You guys don't want a new sound system, you want your youth back. Just come to terms with the fact that it's not the medium Spotify that is causing Aqualung not to sound as it did back in the days, but time itself ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

narvin

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 05:27:09 am »
You guys don't want a new sound system, you want your youth back. Just come to terms with the fact that it's not the medium Spotify that is causing Aqualung not to sound as it did back in the days, but time itself ;)

Ha!  Spotify IS lower quality audio, but the old timers can't tell anyway because they've lost their hearing.  Just hook up a USB speaker and be done with it  :)

RPIScotty

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 05:34:24 am »

Ha!  Spotify IS lower quality audio, but the old timers can't tell anyway because they've lost their hearing.  Just hook up a USB speaker and be done with it  :)

I'm totally married to the idea of MP3 IPod/IPhone audio for the convenience but the difference in fidelity between that medium and CD was always startling to me. I still carry some of my favorite CD originals in my car for that reason.