Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home sound system  (Read 7152 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Home sound system
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2016, 11:08:01 pm »
Coincidence...I'm doing the same thing myself. My system...you guessed, in Idaho. I had a nice Yamaha set up, receiver and speakers. Been a Yamaha junkie for a long time.
  I've already got my powered sub, an Onkyo. Passives never got it for me. My living room is only 12x17 so 5.1 will be fine for me though I am considering going 7.1 just to add Dolby Atmos. I could do Atmos with 5.1, but I the Atmos would sound really nice centered in the length of the room. Building the new electric brewery and researching and planning it, I've not got too in depth with speakers yet, but I'm leaning to a Harmon Kardon wifi w/ Bluetooth and Yamaha speakers. 
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2016, 09:45:02 am »
I converted most of my CDs to mp3s.  Generally most things sounded fine but certain artists did not convert well.  Specifically, bands that have a lot, lot of feedback sound terrible like My Bloody Valentine and J&M Chain. 

Should I try again at a higher bit rate or use AAC or WMA? I am using Windows Media Player

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2016, 10:05:14 am »
I converted most of my CDs to mp3s.  Generally most things sounded fine but certain artists did not convert well.  Specifically, bands that have a lot, lot of feedback sound terrible like My Bloody Valentine and J&M Chain. 

Should I try again at a higher bit rate or use AAC or WMA? I am using Windows Media Player

Try AAC at 320 kbps.  My JAMC and MBV rips sound pretty good (though even on CD the production is a but muddled on some of that stuff - Isn't Anything for example).

I love shoegaze.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2016, 03:03:59 pm »

Try AAC at 320 kbps.  My JAMC and MBV rips sound pretty good (though even on CD the production is a but muddled on some of that stuff - Isn't Anything for example).

I love shoegaze.
Narcout, thanks.  I never got into shoegaze generally for no reason that I can think of.  Anyone I should check out?

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2016, 11:43:52 am »
This is some stuff I like that might be worth checking out:

Ride (Going Blank Again is probably the best album)
Swervedriver
Spacemen 3
Spiritualized (Jason Pierce's project after the Spacemen 3)
The Telescopes (Untitled Second is my favorite, but the earlier stuff is more noisey/rocking)
Slowdive (a little too ambient for me but pretty popular)
Loop
The Brian Jonestown Massacre (one of my favorite bands, only their first album Methodrone is really shoegaze, but their later work is fantastic; if you like 68-72 Rolling Stones check out Take It From The Man)
Cheatahs (this is a current band that is either shoegaze revival or just a rip off depending on your point of view, but I think their debut album is pretty good)

I guess you've already got My Bloody Valentine and the Jesus and Mary Chain covered.

Heading more into Madchester/Brit pop - I'm also really into The Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses, Suede, Elastica, and of course Pulp and Blur.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2016, 01:53:18 pm »
This is some stuff I like that might be worth checking out:

Ride (Going Blank Again is probably the best album)
Swervedriver
Spacemen 3
Spiritualized (Jason Pierce's project after the Spacemen 3)
The Telescopes (Untitled Second is my favorite, but the earlier stuff is more noisey/rocking)
Slowdive (a little too ambient for me but pretty popular)
Loop
The Brian Jonestown Massacre (one of my favorite bands, only their first album Methodrone is really shoegaze, but their later work is fantastic; if you like 68-72 Rolling Stones check out Take It From The Man)
Cheatahs (this is a current band that is either shoegaze revival or just a rip off depending on your point of view, but I think their debut album is pretty good)

I guess you've already got My Bloody Valentine and the Jesus and Mary Chain covered.

Heading more into Madchester/Brit pop - I'm also really into The Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses, Suede, Elastica, and of course Pulp and Blur.
Thanks Narcout, I'll check these bands out and I think I will like them.  I have an album of Spiritualized that has a lot of gospel influences, but not the earlier stuff.  I love the first two albums of the Stone Roses, but I only have them on cassette.  I also liked Mudhoney's and Spacemen 3's mutual covers.