Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Activated Wyeast packet  (Read 1225 times)

Offline gvhorwitz

• 1st Kit
Activated Wyeast packet
« on: April 24, 2016, 07:54:22 pm »
I just discovered that my Wyeast kolsch was activated in my fridge. I don't know when it happened, but I've had the package for a couple of months. It's not expired, and my local homebrew supply guy says it's probably still viable. What's your opinion, would you chance it?

Greg

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Activated Wyeast packet
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:57:58 pm »
I'd definitely do a starter, but honestly I'd do that even if it hadn't swollen. I've brewed under similar circumstances, I usually pay a little extra attention to sanitization when I make the starter. Thins have usually turned out fine, but I do always have dry yeast as backup.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline gvhorwitz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 08:02:09 pm »
Great suggestion. Starter it is!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 06:33:46 am »
You will be just fine.  I would probably make a starter as well. No worries.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 10:28:10 am »
Sometime back when I was playing with a microscope, I took a year old package of Wyeast that had somewhat swollen out of the fridge and did a cell count and viability test on it. I got over 99% viability, so I called Wyeast to see if that was even possible. They said absolutely.

Yeast are a lot heartier than we think. Usually, the older the yeast, the more time to wake from dormancy.
The problem for most of us is maintaining a clean enough environment that nothing else which grows faster takes hold first.

Since then, I've used lots of old yeast as a LHB used to give it to me free. My advice...make a starter and taste the decanted starter wort before you pitch. Do it even if the yeast is fresh. You'll get used to the taste of green unhoped beer and will be able to easily identify when something  is not right with the starter.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 10:43:57 am »
I've used smack packs as old as 3 1/2 years and all I had to do was make a 2 step starter.  Nearly every pack of 1450 is swollen when I use it, but it still works great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell