Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymurgy Live: Brewing Local with Stan Hieronymus  (Read 3508 times)

Offline stonebriar

• 1st Kit
Zymurgy Live: Brewing Local with Stan Hieronymus
« on: May 24, 2016, 06:13:02 pm »
Loved the idea of this event. Thanks to Stan for taking the time to put on the presentation and tell us about his new book. Really looking forward to this being a regular thing.

Now to the complaining. That WebEX software horrible. How in this day and age such a collection of utter garbage code can be allowed to exist is beyond me. Crappy code that does not execute coupled with horrible interface design decisions and terrible aesthetic choices should not be supported. I cringe to think that some small fraction of my fees went to pay for that steaming pile of s***. There are much better options out there, please use those instead.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Zymurgy Live: Brewing Local with Stan Hieronymus
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:10:02 pm »
It worked fine for me. (on Opera)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:09:39 am »
Loved the idea of this event. Thanks to Stan for taking the time to put on the presentation and tell us about his new book. Really looking forward to this being a regular thing.

+1 to this. Really enjoyed the talk and looking forward to other talks.

It worked fine for me. (on Opera)

I had no problems, unlike the OP.

Ralph R.

Offline slabtownebc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 08:25:55 am »
It worked perfect for me on a windows based platform, i used Firefox FYI.
On Tap: Marzen, Wee Heavey
Corked and Caged: Dark Saison with brett, oak, red wine and  currants (AHA recipe)           
Conditioning:  Empty
Secondary:     Fest Beer
On Deck:       Chimay Grand Reserve

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 08:37:59 am »
WebEX is pretty common for video conferencing. I've used it quite a bit and never had a problem.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

RPIScotty

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 08:50:07 am »
I used it extensively in college and a few times professionally with zero issues.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:16:08 am by RPIScotty »

Offline wmbolling

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 08:57:43 am »

Now to the complaining. That WebEX software horrible. How in this day and age such a collection of utter garbage code can be allowed to exist is beyond me. Crappy code that does not execute coupled with horrible interface design decisions and terrible aesthetic choices should not be supported. I cringe to think that some small fraction of my fees went to pay for that steaming pile of s***. There are much better options out there, please use those instead.

Hi stonebriar -

I am sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience with the WebEx portal. I'd be interested in hearing more about how we could improve Zymurgy Live for all users. I'm aware that there were a few audio issues, and we are taking steps to alleviate that for the next webinar. If you could email me with some suggestions on how we can improve the aesthetics of the presentation, I would really appreciate it!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks!

Matt Bolling
AHA Events & Membership Coordinator (and the guy who set up the steaming pile of s***)
matt@brewersassociation.org
Matt Bolling

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 09:53:40 am »
It worked perfect for me on a windows based platform, i used Firefox FYI.

Yep, same here.  No problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 09:54:54 am »

Hi stonebriar -

I am sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience with the WebEx portal. I'd be interested in hearing more about how we could improve Zymurgy Live for all users. I'm aware that there were a few audio issues, and we are taking steps to alleviate that for the next webinar. If you could email me with some suggestions on how we can improve the aesthetics of the presentation, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Matt Bolling
AHA Events & Membership Coordinator (and the guy who set up the steaming pile of s***)

I ran the audio through the external USB interface and speakers we use for the podcast and had no issues at all. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 09:59:30 am »
My only issue is the scheduling. Midday on a Tuesday is not at all convenient for those that work "regular" hours. Looking forward to being able to watch the archived video.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 12:15:51 pm »
My problem was that I totally spaced out and decided to do some yard work. Oh well, I plan on seeing Stan's presentation at HomebrewCon..
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 12:18:32 pm »
Yeah, I had every intention of tuning in, but after work I lost track of it. I'll be looking for the video if/when it posts.
Jon H.

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 02:03:48 pm »

Hi stonebriar -

Thanks!

Matt Bolling

I'm (obviously) not the OP, but I do work remotely and therefore have some experience with remote participation events. I am also a software developer and have (very negative) Opinions about client-side java which is the technology used by WebEx (https://support.webex.com/webex/v1.1/support/en_US/rn/system_rn.htm).

In my view there are several problems with WebEx:

1. Relying on the JRE, which is reasonably complex and large. Anecdotally, it has been difficult to use (see: OP)
2. This technology does not work on most mobile platforms

FWIW, hangouts-on-air (https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2553119?hl=en) seem to be a good option here with less technical overhead (in my limited experience). SparkFun electronics uses this for "SparkFun Live" events (ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sYP_tzBVf0)—which is, AFAICT very similar to this event—it seems to work well.

Hangouts on-air:

1. Do not require any plugins to watch (AFAIK)
2. Have most functionality built in to browsers and are available via mobile
3. Allow easy remote participation

At work we use hangouts-on-air along with an IRC back-channel to ask questions. There is some chat system built into youtube hangouts events, which might be usable.

Kudos for putting out the Zymurgy Live events: very exciting. Thank you for being open to feedback!

EDIT: corrected SparkFun Live example link (previous link was for a promo video)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:05:58 pm by thcipriani »
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline willm85

• 1st Kit
    • Beertastic Voyage Podcast
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 05:33:42 am »
Any idea when the archived video will post?