Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewed at KC Bier Co yesterday... some thoughts  (Read 8378 times)

Offline Scot ( One T )

• 1st Kit
Re: Brewed at KC Bier Co yesterday... some thoughts
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2016, 02:07:30 pm »
We were ready to pull the trigger on a density meter but found out they are not approved by the TTB.

Hahahahaha... oh gov't. ::)  What is the reasoning? Too accurate? Not accurate enough? Something else?

"Not fully tested.   Or as I interpret it......not enough kick backs. 

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2016, 02:30:53 pm »
This is really awesome, Amanda! KC Bier Co is one of the best breweries I have ever been too. I will be hitting it up next weekend in fact. It would have been cool if I had come in time for this one when it's ready. I bet it will be tasty.
Next weekend? As in 4/30 or 5/7? (I can never tell) If it's 4/30, you should grab tickets to Parkville Microfest. 7 homebrew clubs and 40+ breweries, including KCBC. :)

I will be in KC on 4/30. We may end up at the Microfest. Sounds awesome. Thanks for the heads up!
Kyle M.

narvin

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2016, 02:53:16 pm »
We were ready to pull the trigger on a density meter but found out they are not approved by the TTB.

Ha.  You can still use it, right?  Just have to break out the old hydrometer for official measurements.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2016, 03:08:17 pm »

Hahahahaha... oh gov't. ::)  What is the reasoning? Too accurate? Not accurate enough? Something else?

"Not fully tested.   Or as I interpret it......not enough kick backs.
I rue the day that "big hydrometer" put the business in such a stranglehold ;-)

Offline seyahmit

• 1st Kit
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2016, 05:02:45 pm »
Enjoyed reading about your experience Amanda. I will be in KC for the day on Saturday. I will need to see if I can swing by and grab a growler or two of KCBC beer to take back to St Louis.

Offline Scot ( One T )

• 1st Kit
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2016, 08:23:44 pm »

Ha.  You can still use it, right?  Just have to break out the old hydrometer for official measurements.

We could use it but it's a bit pricey for a "back up" 

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2016, 06:27:28 am »
Enjoyed reading about your experience Amanda. I will be in KC for the day on Saturday. I will need to see if I can swing by and grab a growler or two of KCBC beer to take back to St Louis.

Hey Tim! Yeah, you should!  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

narvin

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2016, 08:19:17 am »

We could use it but it's a bit pricey for a "back up"

Yeah, the price probably makes it hard to justify without an official use.  But I'd love it for QC at home, and I don't have to report my results to anyone.

Offline beernutz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2016, 03:42:10 pm »
Any insight into their mash schedule? Do they step mash?

Do you know what base malt(s) they use?
Yes and yes. From memory on the mash schedule. If I screw it up, I'll update ya.

55C for 20'. 62C for 60'. 78C for 10'. Transfer 2/3 of mash to lauter tun, decoct the remaining 1/3, then transfer and lauter.

Malt is exclusively Ireks, outside of Weyermann Carafa.
It is interesting that there is no step around 70C but instead a long 62C step.  Did you notice what brand and type of base malt they were using? 

Very cool adventure, thanks for describing it.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.--George Carlin

all grain brewing since 1991

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2016, 06:09:01 am »

Yes and yes. From memory on the mash schedule. If I screw it up, I'll update ya.

55C for 20'. 62C for 60'. 78C for 10'. Transfer 2/3 of mash to lauter tun, decoct the remaining 1/3, then transfer and lauter.

It is interesting that there is no step around 70C but instead a long 62C step.  Did you notice what brand and type of base malt they were using? 

You quoted it... Ireks is the brand. The recipe's base malt was Ireks Pilsner.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline beernutz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2016, 08:55:40 am »

You quoted it... Ireks is the brand. The recipe's base malt was Ireks Pilsner.
Doh!, so I did. Thanks for pointing it out.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.--George Carlin

all grain brewing since 1991

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2016, 08:20:39 pm »
Interesting. 

I just took my latest lager strain out to 5 repitches with my best results in my last 3. The last two lagers (Helles and Pre-prohibition) each took BOS at separate comps a week apart. I feel that the strain could easily have gone a couple more rounds as well.

Bottom-cropped yeast cultures can be serially repitched more seven times in a home brewery that has conical fermentation vessels if attention is paid to sanitation, cropping, and pitching.  The number one thing that limits repitching is house microflora load.  The load increases with every repitch after the initial infection. The two mutations that one has to watch for are loss of ability to ferment maltotriose and loss of flocculation.  Maltotriose-challenged yeast cells settle before non-maltotriose-challenged yeast cells. Large breweries crop from the middle of the cone before the diacetyl rest in order to reduce the number of maltotriose-challenged and flocculation-challenged yeast cells in the crop. 

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:21:59 pm by Saccharomyces »