Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 13  (Read 5784 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 13
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 10:24:38 am »
There’s an old study that measured DO and found that just transferring wort to carboy hit same levels as air injection (8ppm IIRC).  I think the pros need to do it since there system is so well designed and those that use o2 injection only do it for ease of use compared to sterile air filtration.  I don’t aerate and I have access to free o2…
I remember a study in which 4 ppm was achieved merely by transferring the wort to a small fermenter. 

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 10:46:13 am »

I currently use a stone and direct o2, but wouldn't mind at all skipping that step if it simply isn't doing me any good.  Any one else skip aeration?

I don't skip aeration altogether, but I quit buying O2 a few years back in favor of using a mix stir. I definitely don't notice any change in beer quality whatsoever. I just found using and buying new O2 a cumbersome part of the process and don't miss it at all.

Yeah I don't like boiling the stone, sanitizing the wand, all that junk.  If I can get the same results by simply pumping into my fermenter, that would be more time saved and less to clean. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 11:09:55 am »
I pump as well.  Was considering putting some sort of nozzle on the end of my hose to create more of a shower effect than a solid stream while pumping into the fermenter.
Any beers you still aerate?  Lagers?  High gravity?

I honestly can't recall the last time I did.  I don't brew many high gravity beers any more, but it does include lagers.  AAMOF, I just made a great lager with 1/2 can of 5 month old Imperial Organic lager yeast, with no starter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 11:28:33 am »
Denny - you don't aerate or use a starter?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 11:36:33 am »
Denny - you don't aerate or use a starter?

Never do discreet aeration any more...just pump to the fermenter.  I do make starters most of the time, but the Imperial yeast is meant to be directly pitchable.  Because I'm a yeast abuser, I push that.  Usually, for smack packs, I'll do a "shaken not stirred" starter.  Haven't used my stir plate in over a year.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 12:07:17 pm »
There’s an old study that measured DO and found that just transferring wort to carboy hit same levels as air injection (8ppm IIRC).  I think the pros need to do it since there system is so well designed and those that use o2 injection only do it for ease of use compared to sterile air filtration.  I don’t aerate and I have access to free o2…
I remember a study in which 4 ppm was achieved merely by transferring the wort to a small fermenter. 

" IIRC "  ;D  Can't find the thing...  It might be coming back to me.  Was it 4ppm poured/8ppm shaken/8ppm air injected?  In the interest of full disclosure, I do shake and when someone says aerate I assume this is pump or tank.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 01:41:59 pm »
The oxygenation/aeration information being talked about in this thread and the EB #13 podcast are really at odds with the most recent advice given by Chris White (of White Labs) at the NZ Homebrew Conference (http://traffic.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/bbr04-28-16whitekeynote.mp3). Without having a DO meter and measuring for myself, I have to sort of "pick my pony" on where to put my money. In this case, I have to pick Chris White for the "safe, not sorry" choice.  Additionally, I reuse A LOT of my yeast through many generations and the healthier the better for my purposes.

Fun podcast to all involved. The Barrett Tillman interview was top notch, and kudos to him for coming out and doing the interview in the condition he was in. Excellent info and advice.

As for the OO, no aeration experiment. I suspect the outcome would have been identical had it been a OO vs aerated wort experiment;
thus, OO == no aeration == properly aerated, but that's just conjecture and we'll have to wait for the next installment ;)

As for the sourdough chatter: I never could find any pictures of your baked loaves on EB.com, Denny :D

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 01:44:20 pm »

" IIRC "  ;D  Can't find the thing...  It might be coming back to me.  Was it 4ppm poured/8ppm shaken/8ppm air injected?  In the interest of full disclosure, I do shake and when someone says aerate I assume this is pump or tank.
4/8/8 ppm matches what I remember.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 01:55:05 pm »
http://traffic.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/bbr04-28-16whitekeynote.mp3

44:30min
Oxygen or olive oil gives what is needed for cells to create more membrane material
Most people/homebrewers are not aerating right
Even half of the breweries tested are half the recommended level
1-2min pure O2 into 5gallon batch is only 8-10ppm
aeration pump into 5gallon, never get to 8-10ppm, takes 30+minutes
shaking will never get you there (2-3ppm @ 5min)

HERESY! Have a listen

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 02:04:28 pm »
What the theoretical advice on aeration seems to lack is actual homebrewer experience.

Bread pic on the way!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 02:32:56 pm »
Since it seems related (perhaps even relevant) to the discussion of OO vs aeration, White Labs did an experiment on this several years ago and posted the lab results comparing the 'lipid delivery method' of two trials.  Hard to fully digest what it means, but more data on this topic nonetheless.

Description: https://www.whitelabs.com/news/olive-oil-vs-aeration-experiment
Results: https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/comparative-sample-report.pdf

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »
There is also the Neva Parker interview at Northern Brewer back in 2012 where she discusses DO in wort ("higher gravity") using pure O2 injection through an aeration stone:

https://youtu.be/2vELwUsBmWQ?t=833

In there, she makes claims of being able to get high DO levels through aquarium pump and shaking methods.  This seems to conflict with Chris' more recent claims at the NZHBC.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 07:42:04 pm »
Just listened to the show on my outdoor speakers at Sprague Lake. Great way to spend an afternoon. It gave me an idea for Denny and Drew's next book.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 10:12:43 pm »
I gravity drain my kettle to fermenter through a paint strainer bag place just below the opening.  I liken it to aerating wine.  Always finish 2-3 gravity points below beersmiths expected FG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 02:43:09 am »
Just listened to the show on my outdoor speakers at Sprague Lake.

I feel sorry for the neighbors.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.