Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle harvesting Saison Dupont yeast  (Read 9438 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bottle harvesting Saison Dupont yeast
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2016, 10:35:30 am »
I rarely use my refrac anymore, simply because I don't feel that it gives me very accurate readings compared to my calibrated hydrometer. I have trusted it too many times on near-end boil readings that have been way off compared to original gravities taken with hydrometers. YMMV.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Bottle harvesting Saison Dupont yeast
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 12:38:02 pm »
I rarely use my refrac anymore, simply because I don't feel that it gives me very accurate readings compared to my calibrated hydrometer. I have trusted it too many times on near-end boil readings that have been way off compared to original gravities taken with hydrometers. YMMV.
Same here. I usually have it in a pocket, holding consistent temp, but then rarely use it. Having also read on here that the formulas the cheap ones use can vary a little to more significantly to hydrometers as OG goes up. Just not what I am looking for. If I use it, its usually at the beginning of boil to at least know that my mash was in the ballpark. I have never bothered trying to work the calculations for the presence of alcohol, so no FG measurements with it at all
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)