Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast stopped at 1.025?  (Read 3483 times)

Offline WHollon

• 1st Kit
Yeast stopped at 1.025?
« on: April 27, 2016, 12:51:59 pm »
I'm brewing my second ever batch of beer, it a 5 gallon batch of Belgian Sasion from malt extract. My first batch was a German Heffeweise that turned out perfect and made me think that this wasn't that tricky.
After boiling I had an OG of 1.057 and I used a liquid yeast, after 12 hours it was going wild for about 24 hours. I live in Arizona so the temp was around 78 degrees. Instead of slowing down over a period of days it just stopped after about 36 hours at an SG of 1.025. I tried re-pitching and didn't get any response, it stayed at 1.025. It's been four weeks now so it's decision time, it doesn't taste bad so should I bottle it or pitch it and move on? Will it carbonate in the bottle if the yeast is dead? Will it blow up if it would start to ferment again with that much sugar? Could it be that the remaining sugar is non-fermentable?
I'm looking for any suggestions...

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Yeast stopped at 1.025?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:55:37 pm »
What yeast did you use?

Offline WHollon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 01:18:41 pm »
It's White Labs WLP568 Belgian Saison yeast.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 01:24:14 pm »
That yeast is notorious for stalling.

When you added more, was it straight from the tube or did you pitch an active starter?

It will take off again at some point. Try rousing the yeast a bit and warm it up. Keep it as close, to that 78° temp, or higher, as possible. Others may have some ideas to give it a boost.

DO NOT BOTTLE IT! Unless you added a ton of unfermentables, that yeast should take it to 1.006-1.009 even with 100% DME/LME. Bottling will lead to bottle bombs.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 01:26:52 pm »
Might be an extract problem.  Certain extracts are not very fermentable.  One thing you could do is add more sugar (like just regular white cane sugar) to jack up the alcohol and get things going again.  But if you do that, you'll need to wait several more weeks for that to ferment out again.  Or you can just live with it.  Seems like it's done fermenting.  So I do think it's most likely because of your extract.  What was your recipe exactly?

EDIT: Stevie is probably right.  I have never used this yeast.  Listen to what he says.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 01:36:14 pm »
It could be the yeast, but it's common for extract batches to finish with a higher FG than you'd expect.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

Yeast stopped at 1.025?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:39:33 pm »
It could be the yeast, but it's common for extract batches to finish with a higher FG than you'd expect.
Sure, but 58% AA with that strain is just not possible IMO. Drew is one of the most experienced with this strain, hopefully he can chime in.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 02:00:05 pm »
Sure, but 58% AA with that strain is just not possible IMO. Drew is one of the most experienced with this strain, hopefully he can chime in.

Actually, the next podcast experiment is about saison stall and that yeast.  Unless we know what else was in the recipe and what was in the extract, I'm willing to accept that 58% is possible.  I'm also willing to accept that it's a yeast issue.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 02:23:29 pm »
True, that's why I mentioned the addition of unfermentables. I've used that yeast with all extract (Pils and Muinch) and still got it well below 1.010. It didn't want to do it, but it got there.

Great to hear about the next episode.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 02:33:22 pm »
Actually, the next podcast experiment is about saison stall and that yeast.

Aha, sounds interesting. The idea that a yeast should stall because of the tiny amount of pressure caused by an airlock (if that is what you're after) is completely counterintuitive to me.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

narvin

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 02:51:55 pm »
White Labs 568 is the blend and should not stall like 565.  So, you either had really unhealthy yeast, or a lot of unfermentables in the extract.

I'd still leave it in primary for 2 weeks and let it stay warm.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 02:59:59 pm »
You could pitch some 3711 and see if that helps it finish.  But it might already be in the blend.

Definitely warm it up and rouse the yeast.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

Yeast stopped at 1.025?
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 03:12:52 pm »
White Labs 568 is the blend and should not stall like 565.  So, you either had really unhealthy yeast, or a lot of unfermentables in the extract.

I'd still leave it in primary for 2 weeks and let it stay warm.
You're right. I didn't catch that.

OP please add the recipe

Edit - how are you measuring the gravity of the wort? Hydrometers or refractometer?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:22:31 pm by Stevie »

Offline WHollon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 03:40:38 pm »
There are a lot of great comments here, I'm using a refractometer for the gravity readings. That said, the original reading was done with a hydrometer so the OG could be off a few points.
The recipe was:
3 lbs. Extra Light DME
3 lbs Wheat DME
1/2 lb 10 L Crystal Malt (Grain)
1/2 lb Carapils (Grain)
1 oz Hersbrucker
2 oz Citra (1 oz in boil and 1 oz as dry hops)
White Labs WPL568

The repitch was CBC1 and all I did was add it to the fermenter.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 03:44:08 pm »
YAHTZEE!

Post fermentation is best measured with a hydrometer. If you are using a refractometer, you need to use a calculator to get an accurate reading. Sean Terrill has one that many hold in high regard, but others seem to be ok as well. I linked Sean's below.

http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/