Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brü's Views with Annie Johnson | On Vagina Beer  (Read 6652 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brü's Views with Annie Johnson | On Vagina Beer
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 11:12:06 am »
Brulosophy had the opportunity to interview a highly qualified person, some who obviously knows a lot about beer, brewing beer, and educating people about homebrewing. So what do they ask her? About vagina beer.

Oh FFS. This is just ridiculous. You have someone sitting with you who you can ask anything of (and probably learn something) and then you marginalize that opportunity by asking that person about something that only vaguely relates to their gender. What a waste of time for both the readers and the interviewee.

Luckily we have the EB Podcast with Annie. That was a better way to utilize her time. The fact that the Brulosophy crew even covered this is astonishing.

Thanks!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 11:55:45 am »
Brulosophy had the opportunity to interview a highly qualified person, some who obviously knows a lot about beer, brewing beer, and educating people about homebrewing. So what do they ask her? About vagina beer.

Oh FFS. This is just ridiculous. You have someone sitting with you who you can ask anything of (and probably learn something) and then you marginalize that opportunity by asking that person about something that only vaguely relates to their gender. What a waste of time for both the readers and the interviewee.

Yup.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 11:59:01 am »
While I have the utmost respect for Annie, it's not like she's the Dali Lama. From her response, it sounds like she had fun and can be a bit of a dirty bird.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 12:01:06 pm »
Was it really that far off after the release of 'Beard Beer'?
Who knows, but that beer was absolutely terrible.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 12:06:45 pm »
FWIW, I agree that just maybe they could've made a little better use of Annie's time (as opposed to the EB cast where they did).  I just find the whole 'bodily substances beers' thing dumbfounding, stupid and comical at the same time.
Jon H.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 12:14:23 pm »
Pushing content on a schedule is a beast that is always hungry. Not everything is going to be a base clearing hit in the bottom of the ninth and yeah I don't think Annie thinks of herself as that precious. I have no doubt that Marshall will engage Annie with more beery topics.

The topic itself is naturally eye roll inducing, cringey, sexist and stunty at best (says the guy making clam chowdah beer). Worse, it's not even a new concept. Everyone seems to have forgotten about OPB from a few years back. Yes that was an art project instead of a commercial product, but still can anyone see this lasting longer than the outage news cycle. It'll be precisely like the old fashioned Nudey beer - a cheap bachelor party twitter inducing thing.

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 12:39:25 pm »
I thought Marshall's prelude covered the intentions pretty well. He seemed "intellectually conflicted" about 1) getting her opinion at all 2) publishing once the initial hype had died down.

Personally I'm glad he published anyway. I think it would've been twice the waste of Annie's time if she had written something so funny that never saw the light of day.

On the other hand, this is the danger in calling attention to something ludicrous -- even if just to say "can you believe how f'd up this is?!?!" By calling attention to it, you're giving it new life.

Sometimes the best way to kill something is to ignore it. Obviously I couldn't resist this thread so I guess I'm not very good at that either  ;)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 02:03:51 pm »
I am aware this post my be "too politicy" for this forum, so feel free to police it if you want.

My issue with the post is that it is a qualified woman's expertise is ignored in pursuit of something  related to the gender. Being a woman can really suck, especially when you work really hard to become respected in a male dominated field just to be ignored or marginalized. Unless you've experienced it in real life, there's no real way to explain it besides that.

I'm better at examples, so I'll give you one from my own life. To set the stage, I work as a Project Controls analyst in Construction. I have become an integral and respected member of our team (manager's words, not mine). Lately, I have worked my way into proposals. On a recent proposal, I worked directly with the lead estimator. I found tens of millions of dollars in errors, oversights, and general crap on a $50MM proposal. The VP of Construction requested that I be in the room when the "top brass" came in to review the proposal. I was excited to be invited, hoping to show my expertise and perhaps help answer questions about this subject that I was very familiar with. When all the upper management (all men) came in, they looked at me and the only other woman (a secretary) and asked why we hadn't made coffee yet. Queue the heart sinking. I went and made coffee. I could come up with at least 50 other examples of stuff like that, but that's the freshest one.

Anyway. My initial response had nothing to do with Annie herself or how she responded. It was more about how we (meaning women) are sometimes treated when all we want to do is to be taken seriously. I know that it is unintentional in many cases, but that doesn't make the action any less sucky. :/ Did the execs mean to belittle my contribution? Probably not, but it still sucked.

Well, now you guys know a bit more about me than is probably needed, but I had to say it.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 02:32:17 pm »
I am aware this post my be "too politicy" for this forum, so feel free to police it if you want.

My issue with the post is that it is a qualified woman's expertise is ignored in pursuit of something  related to the gender. Being a woman can really suck, especially when you work really hard to become respected in a male dominated field just to be ignored or marginalized. Unless you've experienced it in real life, there's no real way to explain it besides that.

I'm better at examples, so I'll give you one from my own life. To set the stage, I work as a Project Controls analyst in Construction. I have become an integral and respected member of our team (manager's words, not mine). Lately, I have worked my way into proposals. On a recent proposal, I worked directly with the lead estimator. I found tens of millions of dollars in errors, oversights, and general crap on a $50MM proposal. The VP of Construction requested that I be in the room when the "top brass" came in to review the proposal. I was excited to be invited, hoping to show my expertise and perhaps help answer questions about this subject that I was very familiar with. When all the upper management (all men) came in, they looked at me and the only other woman (a secretary) and asked why we hadn't made coffee yet. Queue the heart sinking. I went and made coffee. I could come up with at least 50 other examples of stuff like that, but that's the freshest one.

Anyway. My initial response had nothing to do with Annie herself or how she responded. It was more about how we (meaning women) are sometimes treated when all we want to do is to be taken seriously. I know that it is unintentional in many cases, but that doesn't make the action any less sucky. :/ Did the execs mean to belittle my contribution? Probably not, but it still sucked.

Well, now you guys know a bit more about me than is probably needed, but I had to say it.
Idiots. 
Why did you not turn around and ask the secretary to make coffee?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 02:34:52 pm »

Amanda, you have my respect and all the regulars here.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 02:37:36 pm »

Why blame her for their idiocy?

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 03:19:26 pm »

Because there's a whole giant raft of socialization that would put her in a bad position if she did. Men who would ask would be galled at the temerity she was showing and possibly label her with epithet attached to "difficult women". Aka sometimes it's just easier to take a big ole bite of a crap sandwich if the time/place isn't right.

Amanda, that's a giant pile of crap to deal with and it sucks.

If you listen to the podcast at all, you know my feelings on these sorts of issues, so I'll leave it at that.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 03:27:22 pm »
I found tens of millions of dollars in errors, oversights, and general crap on a $50MM proposal. The VP of Construction requested that I be in the room when the "top brass" came in to review the proposal. I was excited to be invited, hoping to show my expertise and perhaps help answer questions about this subject that I was very familiar with. When all the upper management (all men) came in, they looked at me and the only other woman (a secretary) and asked why we hadn't made coffee yet.
In the movie version this is the part where you would say "I just saved you 30 million dollars, you make the coffee you jackass". This kind of thing makes me cringe -- I can't believe you had to put up with that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 03:28:30 pm »

Amanda, that's a giant pile of crap to deal with and it sucks.

If you listen to the podcast at all, you know my our feelings on these sorts of issues, so I'll leave it at that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 03:44:31 pm »
Yeah it sucks.