Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sous-Vide Circulator Recommendations  (Read 15694 times)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Sous-Vide Circulator Recommendations
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:48:42 pm »
I've become interested in sous-vide and have played around with doing it "mash style" on my stovetop. I'd like to simplify/automate a bit and am curious if anyone has come across good info about buying a circulator or other equipment for this?

I know Drew talks about doing this quite a bit, but unless my search skills stink, I couldn't find any recent conversations related to using them for cooking (rather than mashing). Yes, I know -- asking for non-beer info on the brewing forum. Hey, at least I posted in the right category :)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Sous-Vide Circulator Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:04:24 pm »
I got an anova circulator last year when they were doing their great sell off of the previous model and I love the damn thing. It's much better and more reliable than anything I could cobble together on my own.

What in particular are you looking for? I can say right now - get one and grab both the chef steps and anova apps for the phones because they give you a ton of guidance.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:20:16 pm »
I like cooking pork loin sous vide since I like it pink.  I get a pork loin cut it into "chops" and add spices.  I then seal 3-4 pork chops in a vacuum bag - you got one of these for your hops don't you - and freeze.  I cook sous vide on an a hot plate controlled by a fermentation controller - you got one of these too?  I may or may not finish the "chop" on a hot skillet.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:18:48 pm »
I got an anova circulator last year when they were doing their great sell off of the previous model and I love the damn thing. It's much better and more reliable than anything I could cobble together on my own.

What in particular are you looking for? I can say right now - get one and grab both the chef steps and anova apps for the phones because they give you a ton of guidance.
I'm too ignorant to even know what I want yet. I just know I don't want to try and do it by controlling a flame periodically over the course of an hour :)

I was already looking at the Anova based on reading The Food Lab and other articles by Kenji Lopez-Alt. What you've said makes me convinced that it will probably help me execute more easily and learn a lot more, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 03:26:11 pm »
I like cooking pork loin sous vide since I like it pink.  I get a pork loin cut it into "chops" and add spices.  I then seal 3-4 pork chops in a vacuum bag - you got one of these for your hops don't you - and freeze.  I cook sous vide on an a hot plate controlled by a fermentation controller - you got one of these too?  I may or may not finish the "chop" on a hot skillet.
That's awesome! I don't happen to have a vacuum sealer, but I know a lot of folks do that for hops. I picked up a few of those food safe silicon bags on Amazon so I could reuse them.

Fortunately both of my temp controllers are hard at work currently, but that sounds like a good option for folks who could spare one for an hour or two and then put it back. I'm at the point where I have separate "beer things" and "kitchen things" because otherwise my kids or my wife will misplace one of my "beer things" after using it in the kitchen and my brew day takes a bad turn  ;)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 07:20:54 pm »
Re-reading this and thinking about the recipe though, I think you just gave me the idea for the next thing I'm going to cook. Pork done to the right temperature is fantastic!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 07:34:22 pm »
For someone just dipping their toes in a decent unit should cost you less than $200. Entry level.

Boneless chuck ribs done pastrami-style for 48 hours at 138F- Amazing.

A vac-sealed steak done at 132F for six hours is as fresh six weeks later in the fridge as it was when bought. Simply sear on both sides for 30-60 seconds.

Easy to write the date, description and exact process on the bag too so you know what you did.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 07:01:57 am »

Late to the party here. ^^ +1 ^^   I also bought an Anova.  Great product.  I also use Chef Steps and their app for ideas and guidance.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 02:56:01 pm »

I was trying to snag one of these on Amazon Prime day they had the bluetooth model marked to $143 and I had a (nonworking) code to save $30. After that fiasco Amazon credited my account $30, but of course the Anova is back up to $180. I guess I'll just watch it and if it drops again snag it.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 03:01:53 pm »
I use camelcamelcamel to track stuff on Amazon. No account setup needed and it emails you when an item hits your target price.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 04:22:26 pm »
Tracking it, thanks for that!!!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 06:48:55 pm »
The Anova Culinary WIFI Precision Cooker (B01761T6V4) is currently $149 at Amazon.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 10:10:40 am »
Moving up, now $175.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 02:53:17 pm »

I also have an Anova and love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 05:36:19 am »
Dropped again to $149. Here is the CCC watch if anyone is interested, just enter your email and desired alert pricing. AFAIK it has never been lower than this. Mine should be arriving soon.
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Anova-Culinary-WIFI-Precision-Cooker/product/B01761T6V4