Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sous-Vide Circulator Recommendations  (Read 15571 times)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: Sous-Vide Circulator Recommendations
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2019, 12:24:38 pm »
The eggs peel super easy and are just perfect.

Cook-wise that has been working out great for me. I think I need to watch some YouTube videos about how to peel the damned things though. Or maybe that’s just as good as it gets. I haven’t really made them any other way so I don’t have much basis for comparison. Any peeling tips welcome, as a lot of the stuff I read sounds like voodoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2019, 06:35:50 am »
If you are an Amazon Prime member the Anova Nano is $65 today and presumably tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Included/dp/B07C7PW3PC
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2019, 09:39:52 am »
If you are an Amazon Prime member the Anova Nano is $65 today and presumably tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Precision-Bluetooth-Included/dp/B07C7PW3PC

Thanks, Susan ordered one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2019, 10:50:03 am »
My understanding is some of them have had issues. I'd suggest putting it through the paces to be sure you received one without issues. At that price and with Amazon's return policy there is little to lose.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2019, 08:45:34 pm »
I bought the Joule a few months ago and really like it. I am only starting to really explore what I can cook with it but I currently have a chuck roast going I am taking out to a little under two and a half days.

I like the ability on the Joule to check that it is still running on my phone while I am away from the house. I am a little nervous about leaving food cooking for days without the ability to check if there is a problem. I think some of the other units do this now as well.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2019, 07:54:45 am »
My intended applications, besides cooking food, include making yogurt and sauergut. Seems like this will hold at those low temps.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2019, 08:35:33 am »
My intended applications, besides cooking food, include making yogurt and sauergut. Seems like this will hold at those low temps.
Thanks for kicking my brain in the pants.  I am not about to start making Sauergut, but have mulled over how I'd build a reactor if and when I do.  Bingo.  Perhaps by next Prime Day I'll be ready to go.   :D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2020, 07:46:06 am »
ATK just posted a video on Sous Vide sticks. Some of the models in the video are updated or discontinued and the pricing seems suspect
https://youtu.be/M4XOGTJZgBc

The Anova is currently $150 on Amazon and often they go on sale. If you purchase on Amazon, set up a CamelCamelCamel alert
https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07WQ4M5TS

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2020, 08:49:51 am »
Still loving my Anova FWIW. Aside from being great at "meats that become tough too easily", my other favorite is "lazy transition from the freezer to cooked". In COVID times, it's been nice to be able to pull out frozen chicken breasts, fish, whatever and just throw it in the sous vide. In a few hours I have it perfectly cooked without the necessity to remember to pull it out of the freezer a couple days in advance  :)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2020, 12:48:00 pm »
I like that ability as well. I have two Anovas, one which I use and the other is a backup.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2020, 01:16:24 pm »
Still loving my Anova FWIW. Aside from being great at "meats that become tough too easily", my other favorite is "lazy transition from the freezer to cooked". In COVID times, it's been nice to be able to pull out frozen chicken breasts, fish, whatever and just throw it in the sous vide. In a few hours I have it perfectly cooked without the necessity to remember to pull it out of the freezer a couple days in advance  :)
I use my Instant Pot for that. It's pretty nice to be able throw a frozen turkey breast with some stock in there and have dinner ready in an hour.

Has anyone here used their brewing system for Sous-Vide cooking? I'm wondering if I can get a dual use from my new Foundry.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2020, 01:31:48 pm »

I use my Instant Pot for that. It's pretty nice to be able throw a frozen turkey breast with some stock in there and have dinner ready in an hour.

The IP, much like a crock pot, requires the meat to be with some amount of liquid. The beauty of the SV is the meat is in a pouch and is cooked perfectly only needing browning if desired. I do steak, pork loin, and chicken breast from frozen. Then brown/sear as quickly as possible and eat.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2020, 02:40:32 pm »

Has anyone here used their brewing system for Sous-Vide cooking? I'm wondering if I can get a dual use from my new Foundry.
I did sous vide in the Zymatic
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2020, 02:55:45 pm »
I’m firmly an Anova fan boy... 4 circulators in since they launched. Solid company, curious and helpful support!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2020, 11:31:24 am »

Did a big flank steak this weekend, turned out incredible. Kept the malt pipe in to keep it off the heat source, used my whirlpool arm to recirculate. Finished with a torch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk