Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who watches YouTube videos on beer brewing anymore?  (Read 6675 times)

trentm

Who watches YouTube videos on beer brewing anymore?
« on: April 29, 2016, 07:22:21 pm »
Seriously?  Brewing beer is natural, making a video of it is just plain asinine.  Might have been novel at one time but now that there's 20 million results for "all grain brewing"...  With people screaming "Watch how I brew my beer..." - what is the expected response?  A couple of originals made headway, "Craigtube", "Terpsichorean Kid", "SJPorr" (check out the SJPorr Challenge) but most of the stuff just screams why?

Do you watch beer brewing videos on YouTube?  Why?  Who do you watch?

narvin

Re: Who watches YouTube videos on beer brewing anymore?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 07:29:24 pm »
Seriously?  Brewing beer is natural, making a video of it is just plain asinine.  Might have been novel at one time but now that there's 20 million results for "all grain brewing"...  With people screaming "Watch how I brew my beer..." - what is the expected response?  A couple of originals made headway, "Craigtube", "Terpsichorean Kid", "SJPorr" (check out the SJPorr Challenge) but most of the stuff just screams why?

Do you watch beer brewing videos on YouTube?  Why?  Who do you watch?

Anymore?  I never did.  Except for that guy who gets naked in the basement and rubs himself with lotion before making a starter to avoid dust.  That's just good comedy.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 07:33:58 pm »
I still rewatch the old Brewing TV episodes on occasion. Other than that, not much at all.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 07:44:07 pm »
Basic Brewing Video is the only one I watch regularly. I watch Chop & Brew and Don O on occasion, but it's mostly out of nostalgia for BTV.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 10:29:55 pm »
You could very easily say the same about most creative efforts. It takes a certain something special - an "it" so to speak - to bust through the "usual". Most of the time that comes down to the creator/host.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 04:06:57 am »
I watched one on using the Grainfather the other week, and discovered that I've been setting it up incorrectly.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

trentm

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 07:21:49 am »
You could very easily say the same about most creative efforts. It takes a certain something special - an "it" so to speak - to bust through the "usual". Most of the time that comes down to the creator/host.

Agreed.  The Basic Brewing hosts are mildly amusing and of course the old BTV hosts Dawson, etc.. had a certain flair as do the others mentioned.  Guess it all just becomes mundane after a while no matter how much effort the hosts put in. Perhaps due to an increase in knowledge on my part.  Now a live Exbeeriment channel might be amusing, for a while.  Of course no one ever admits their beer is bad, kinda like those cooking shows on PBS where they taste what they've made at the end and say, "Boy OH Boy is that good! I've never had better!  The secret to my beer was mashing at 275 degrees kelvin while standing on my head."

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 07:59:07 am »
Some of the homemade "how-to" videos have been useful to me for learning new processes, particularly when there is a wide variety of advice on how to do it right or it's a hard process to visualize if you've never seen anyone do it. I often speed up the video to get through them faster or to hone in on a particular point. What these amateurs lack in video production skills they make up for in goodhearted willingness to share (love the kegging video where the guy is clearly in his pajamas... my kind of brew day! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFor3QCWCuo ).

I also enjoy Basic Brewing Video, which is professionally well-done and feels like what it is, a good cooking show where the emphasis is on the dynamic between the hosts.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 11:17:10 am »
I never really watched the homebrewing videos. I have watched a few how-to videos on using or modifying pieces of equipment because sometimes written descriptions are not clear or do not address a question in a way seeing sometimes resolves. That's maybe three or four videos over seven years.

I have a few friends who have recently gotten into homebrewing or are thinking about getting into it. They all watched dozens of videos and read several blogs, trying to soak up as much info as possible. Somebody is definitely watching them.

Sometimes people just like making videos/writing blogs/etc. for their own enjoyment. I mean, why do I keep blogging about homebrewing? There are better written blogs and a number of older blogs. I like to think I help people out from time to time but it's mostly just for my own recordkeeping and enjoyment.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 03:45:28 pm »
I still rewatch the old Brewing TV episodes on occasion. Other than that, not much at all.
Me too, miss that show, wish they would've kept it going even without Northern Brewer as their sponsor. I also watch Chop & Brew. It's not really about the brewing per se, but just the vibe of the show, like Brewing TV, those guys were great together.
Jesse

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 05:47:13 pm »
I do watch chop & brew (And Don O) as well. To me though, Don has the closest thing to the old brewing TV, just plain old beer videos, no frills, no put on airs or appearances. Just honest brewing.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 05:57:51 pm »
I watch Chop n Brew on occasion and like it. Loved brewing TV (as said) as much for the camraderie as for the actual brewing content. Don O put out some good videos that I used to watch as well.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »
Its entirely possible that some of the YouTube video posters do it just for fun and are seeking no response. As to why watch them? My top ten reasons are #10 killing time, 9-2 ditto, #1 Sheer boredom.

The youtube video that I got the most from was Drew's Brewing on the Ones.

Most entertaining,  reviews from Beer Geek Nation

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 06:13:30 pm »

Man, that guy is a goof. I've laughed out loud at a few of his reviews - his knowledge is pretty suspect, to be nice. He's all about his IPAs and RIS, though.  :)
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 07:43:08 am »

Man, that guy is a goof. I've laughed out loud at a few of his reviews - his knowledge is pretty suspect, to be nice. He's all about his IPAs and RIS, though.  :)
He can really rattle off all the aromas and flavors though. I'm lucky to detect maybe 5 things in the aroma of a hearty beer. He instantly gets like 30