Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Who watches YouTube videos on beer brewing anymore?  (Read 6670 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Who watches YouTube videos on beer brewing anymore?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 08:10:53 am »
Seriously?  Brewing beer is natural, making a video of it is just plain asinine.  Might have been novel at one time but now that there's 20 million results for "all grain brewing"...  With people screaming "Watch how I brew my beer..." - what is the expected response?  A couple of originals made headway, "Craigtube", "Terpsichorean Kid", "SJPorr" (check out the SJPorr Challenge) but most of the stuff just screams why?

Do you watch beer brewing videos on YouTube?  Why?  Who do you watch?

brewbeeranddrinkit
Beer Geek Nation
Summit Brewing Company
Chop & Brew
Beersmith Podcasts
MicrobeWorld - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6CMghyf3ag

There are all kinds of things on youtube, being able to sift through the crap to find what you are looking for is what the internet is literally all about.  When the pen was invented, people wrote all kinds of useless crap.  When recording was invented, people made tapes of useless crap.  When the internet was released to the public, it was filled with useless crap.  At the end of the day, some peoples crap, is another mans treasure. Facebook... enough said.

These are just as good as reading forum IMO. Plus I am a visual learner.  Sometimes reading for concept and ingraining the concept with seeing the action helps me a lot.  FWIW why do you blog about beer? Why? What do you read?  What is the point?  Knowledge, conversations, sense of community and shared interests, all kinds of good stuff out there.  Not your cup of tea, Meh drink a beer!  Cheers fellow brew-geeks!
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 11:58:19 am »
Seriously?  Brewing beer is natural, making a video of it is just plain asinine.  Might have been novel at one time but now that there's 20 million results for "all grain brewing"...  With people screaming "Watch how I brew my beer..." - what is the expected response?  A couple of originals made headway, "Craigtube", "Terpsichorean Kid", "SJPorr" (check out the SJPorr Challenge) but most of the stuff just screams why?

Why on earth would you be so offended by people sharing their craft? Sorry I'm just really shocked that you would call it asinine. Most people, like myself, watch these videos as part of a community. Most of us aren't looking to learn how to brew, so much as seeing how others brew, what they brew, why they brew, and just the shared community.
There is actually a large brew-tubing community of people that send each other beers to get an opinion on their work, the exact same thing we've been doing here.

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 12:47:06 pm »
I'll watch Chop n Brew every once in a while.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 12:51:24 pm »
I learned to brew from Brewer TV when they turned me on to Don O Videos because he said he learned from Denny.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 01:51:21 pm »
I do! well, not as much now but when I first started it was a great resource.  Don osborn, northern brewer, beer geek nation, etc. also newfound brewing video when I built my kegerator.  That being said there are tons crap out there so be careful...

Offline NadoBrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 02:13:17 pm »
I still watch them from time to time...I now mostly watch videos for unique setups. Craigtube and Basic Brewing Video (met them at NHC 2015 and they are great at answering your questions) got me into homebrewing, but I stopped watching Craig as much because he focuses on the kits I would rather not brew....not to diminish the great effort he has put in and the knowledge he as imparted, but he comes off now as the Bill Nye of brewing. He is the guy you should first watch, but after you have had a few beers under your belt, you tend to not watch him as much.

What I don't like are how there are homebrew channels who no longer brew as much and just post random videos that have nothing to do with brewing like Home Beer Brewery with his drones.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:15:29 pm by NadoBrew »

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 02:54:11 pm »
Its entirely possible that some of the YouTube video posters do it just for fun and are seeking no response. As to why watch them? My top ten reasons are #10 killing time, 9-2 ditto, #1 Sheer boredom.

The youtube video that I got the most from was Drew's Brewing on the Ones.

Most entertaining,  reviews from Beer Geek Nation

Thanks, Brewing on the Ones is great. I can't find Drew's saison talk though, which he mentioned in the video.

trentm

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 03:42:30 pm »
Why on earth would you be so offended by people sharing their craft? Sorry I'm just really shocked that you would call it asinine. Most people, like myself, watch these videos as part of a community. Most of us aren't looking to learn how to brew, so much as seeing how others brew, what they brew, why they brew, and just the shared community.
There is actually a large brew-tubing community of people that send each other beers to get an opinion on their work, the exact same thing we've been doing here.

I'm not offended, should I be?

Offline amichuda

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 10:16:34 am »
Brewing TV was great, Chop & Brew is good but infrequent, some of Don O's videos are pretty good. I'll watch a basic brewing video here and there. But the videos recorded on an old flip phone with bad sound of a guy in his basement brewing a barrel aged quad with malta, raisins, and bread yeast are awful.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 09:59:20 am »
I pretty much only watch videos dealing with new (or imported from commercial) processes, equipment, or techniques.  I'm a visual learner for that sort of thing.  Reading spec sheets or white papers really isn't a substitute.

I don't watch basic how-to-brew videos, but they do have their place.  Not everybody has a local club to do a brew day to hang out and heckle somebody else's process and learn.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 10:16:15 am »
I pretty much only watch videos dealing with new (or imported from commercial) processes, equipment, or techniques.  I'm a visual learner for that sort of thing.  Reading spec sheets or white papers really isn't a substitute.

I don't watch basic how-to-brew videos, but they do have their place.  Not everybody has a local club to do a brew day to hang out and heckle somebody else's process and learn.
+1. I picked up a lot of the early techniques that I wasn't understanding in printed form by watching somebody do it in a video somewhere. My schedule isn't conducive to homebrew club meetings so I have to leverage this kind of thing if I want to watch somebody else brew.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 07:02:58 pm »
I do, but not as much as before. As mentioned, it's something to kind of do to see what other brewers are doing. We all have our own methods, techniques, tips, tricks...etc. I like to pick up on something if I can. Another reason to watch is for the very same reason I may have watched a video here and there when first learning. I now might watch a video to check something out that I'm not familiar with...say decoction mashing or brewing a certain style of beer.

I wouldn't say it's stupid, I'm not watching to learn "how to brew all grain" but someone starting out might be looking for exactly that. The fact that EVERYONE and their mother has a video on it is just how it is. For some making the video is just as much a hobby that they may also enjoy.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 07:24:59 am »
I think there's some "pride of craftsmanship" or "pure joy of sharing" aspect to posting these videos, too. Sort of similar to our "Pics of Recent Brews" thread that's been active for nearly six years and has over a hundred pages of "pride" pictures. You could argue that there's not a ton of value in them (I do think there is), but nobody requires you to watch them...

Offline beernutz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 02:08:41 pm »

Boom!
https://youtu.be/Ge5ur5SuxLk
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:10:44 pm by beernutz »
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.--George Carlin

all grain brewing since 1991