Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew house temps  (Read 2628 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Brew house temps
« on: June 27, 2010, 01:12:20 pm »
Hot as hell. Reminds me why I don't like brewing during the summer. Not as bad as last year but bad enough.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Brew house temps
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:35:28 pm »
I'm brewing outside so 84-85

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 01:39:20 pm »
Tell me about it!  I'm brewing an IPA today in FL!  Hotter'n Hell here (94+ F)!  I do hear thunder in the distance, and I 'm about to begin my boil, so I'm thankful for the clouds and rain (got a covered lanai and a 12x12 canopy to shield me from the sun and rain)--it should bring cooler temps.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:48:56 pm »
I don't mind the heat so much as long as I am out of the sun. That said, I prefer brewing in cooler weather by far.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:18:12 pm »
Hey! It's 94F with an index of 98. Same as yesterday. Any thoughts of banging out another 12 gallons leaves me feeling flat. Time to drink not to brew. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 04:53:09 pm »
I agree!  But the timing's right!  We have no baseball game today!
We've been going to baseball games every night--my son's team has won a tournament 2 of the 3 weeks thus far--translation: we have a tournament a week; a game or doubleheader starting monday every night of the week; sometimes including sundays for the championships!  Last week's was on father's day!  I'd rather been inside where it is cool, at a minimum!

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 05:18:10 pm »
I was going to brew today but my brother inlaw needed help and then it rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock so we didn't get done what he wanted either.  Went back home, driving at a snail's pace because I couldn't see more than 20 feet or so in front of the truck... got home watched a movie and the sun came out.... now its very humid and I'm drinking beer.  Tomorrow is another day.   ;) 

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 05:42:55 pm »
Lautering is a
beoyich
with this SS braided (Bazoooka) tube
and
a 10 Gallon Igloo cooler
(10 gallon batch)

I've been out here for 3 hours "Lautering"

Waiting to boil!
And move on with my life!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 06:39:39 pm »
Severe Thunderstorm warnings, Tornado warnings, but I brewed thru it all
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 07:32:04 pm »
I so love living in No. CA.  I brewed in the morning (in mid 70's w/no appreciable humidity) then drank in the afternoon.  Maybe I'll wash the car this evening.

The yeast are doing all the work, just bubbling away.

If we could get the government to get out of our lives, I think I'd be in heaven.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 07:45:03 pm »
Hey! It's 94F with an index of 98. Same as yesterday. Any thoughts of banging out another 12 gallons leaves me feeling flat. Time to drink not to brew. :D

I understand your agony, the summer heat has made me resort to brewing at night. But first I have to bottle the beer that is in the fermenters. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 08:32:02 pm »
I don't mind the heat so much as long as I am out of the sun. That said, I prefer brewing in cooler weather by far.

Mid to upper 80s here in central, IL, but I agree - I don't mind being outside.  I teach, so summer is usually my brew time.  That being said, I try to avoid late July and August - that is officially too damned hot.  This year I actually pulled it off - got my summer brewing done in April and May, hitting my Oktoberfest this week, and then I'm shut down until September.  Need to do this from now on, schedule permitting!   8)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 09:26:06 pm »
After spending a career as an infantryman in the Marine Corps I'm tired of weather! I'm tired of hot deserts and clamy jungles. I'm tired of cold mountians and standing guard in Iceland. I'm tired of rough seas, high winds and sideways rain!!  Oh yea, don't forget the bugs that are big enough to have "No Smoking" signs on their wings. I like brewing a partial mash with a four gallon boil in my climate controlled kitchen.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID