Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Orval Brewing  (Read 2287 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Orval Brewing
« on: April 30, 2016, 05:58:50 pm »
Hadn't seen this before. The translation is a little rough. Nice pictures. Horizontal tanks.
http://www.orval.be/en/58/How-Orval-beer-is-made
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

trentm

Re: Orval Brewing
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 06:19:02 pm »
"It is in the cold wort that we add liquid sugar candy"

Wait a minute!  Doesn't it all sink to the bottom when added to cold wort?  Perhaps it's just stirred in.

Wonder if Candi Syrup out of the package is sanitary enough to just pour in cold wort.  Probably is, haven't tried it though.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:25:41 pm »
I've added syrup to cooled wort with no worries quite a few times. Thanks for posting, Jeff - one of my favorite beers on the planet.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 07:47:31 pm »
"It is in the cold wort that we add liquid sugar candy"

Wait a minute!  Doesn't it all sink to the bottom when added to cold wort?  Perhaps it's just stirred in.

Wonder if Candi Syrup out of the package is sanitary enough to just pour in cold wort.  Probably is, haven't tried it though.
The yeast will find their food. Then they eat it!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:21:13 am »
I've added syrup to cooled wort with no worries quite a few times. Thanks for posting, Jeff - one of my favorite beers on the planet.

No issues with it mixing in?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:39:16 am »

No issues with it mixing in?

I usually don't mix. As Jeff said, the yeast will find it. Often I add it as primary is winding down, but other times I just throw it into the boil.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:22:51 pm »
Do you find more aroma from it if you use it in the primary vs the boil? 

I plan on trying that next time I brew a strong belgian.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 03:27:29 pm »
Do you find more aroma from it if you use it in the primary vs the boil? 

I plan on trying that next time I brew a strong belgian.

Not really. I experimented with that as a theory, didn't really notice an improvement. The one time I'll add sugars post boil now is for 'incremental feeding' on something like a tripel where I want to coax a lower, 'digestible' FG. I am sold on that as a way to attenuate a bit better.
Jon H.

trentm

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 06:28:20 pm »

Perhaps not always true.  I've had vigorous 3787 Quad fermentations where D-180 added to the boil was found on the bottom of the fermenter.  Unsure as to the why...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 06:41:50 pm »

Perhaps not always true.  I've had vigorous 3787 Quad fermentations where D-180 added to the boil was found on the bottom of the fermenter.  Unsure as to the why...
That is a head scratcher.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 06:46:52 pm »

That is a head scratcher.

Never known that stuff not to dissovle in the boil, though.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 07:00:22 pm »

How could you tell it was D-180 that was left?  If you added it to the boil, it should have dissolved and been evenly distributed such that it wouldn't settle out.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

trentm

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 07:04:35 pm »
How could you tell it was D-180 that was left?  If you added it to the boil, it should have dissolved and been evenly distributed such that it wouldn't settle out.

It was a thick syrup stuck to the glass underneath the yeast cake.  Tasted like D-180 but who knows...

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:44 am »
Weird.  I've never seen that.  Over the years, I've used just about every sort of syrupy liquid in brewing possible and they've all dissolved and fermented.  Candi-syrup, LME, honey, molasses, etc.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 11:23:06 am »
I have poured various syrups into actively fermenting wort (usually as krausen starts to slow) and have never had an infection from it (and several of these beers have been long-aged bottles). I believe it is a good way to keep the yeast happy and maximize dryness and yeast health for very high gravity beers - the yeast goes through its growth phase in healthy wort and then eats the simple sugars later, as it is still active, but most of the maltose has been consumed. That said, when I am brewing 12 gallons of tripel, I usually toss the syrup into the boil ~10 min before flameout.

For me, adding syrup into the primary allows me to split a 12 gal batch nicely - half can be a lower-gravity American, British, or German style, and half can be a higher-gravity Belgian ale. Splitting a ~1.048 Kölsch and giving the other half a pound or two of D2 and WY3787 can lead to a more diverse kegerator. If I noticed infection coming from the syrup, I probably wouldn't do it again (or I would boil the syrup with an equal amount of water before adding it), but it has been a nice option for me so far.