Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using wort chiller to reduce mash temp  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
Re: Using wort chiller to reduce mash temp
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 09:38:22 pm »
This one crosses my OCD threshold. I know my sanitation is good enough that leaving wort to chill shouldn't be an issue, but I brew late at night and my OCD won't let me sleep until the yeast it pitched. Once I actually nodded off and woke up in a panic at 4am to pitch yeast.

Yeah, I had the same reaction first time I tried it.  I guarantee ya that if you get past that threshold, you'll be hooked.
And it it's not uncommon for German Brewers to have settling tanks (flotation tanks), where the trub is allowed
to settle from the cold wort, rack off the next day, pitch yeast. I have done this.

For what it's worth, on an episode Brew Strong Jamil said he used to rack his lagers to a conical in a fridge to chill overnight, and would drop the trub/break material the next day and then pitch the yeast.  Sounds like this is a widely used method.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 10:05:33 pm »
For what it's worth, on an episode Brew Strong Jamil said he used to rack his lagers to a conical in a fridge to chill overnight, and would drop the trub/break material the next day and then pitch the yeast.  Sounds like this is a widely used method.
Yeah, that was always in the same timeframe when they were teasing him about brewing in a biohazard suit so I was a little intimidated. Knowing how many people do it now I'm less concerned, but it's in my head, you know?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 04:47:22 pm »
To the OP, they do it in this Brewing TV episode about brewing a Maibock. So, yes, it's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv6Li8GFGtY
Jesse