Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Taprite Beer Carbonation Tester  (Read 3970 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
The Taprite Beer Carbonation Tester
« on: May 02, 2016, 06:23:14 pm »
For the brewer who has everything.

The Taprite Beer Carbonation Tester $289

http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Taprite-Beer-Carbonation-Tester_p_6422.html?AffId=160

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: The Taprite Beer Carbonation Tester
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 05:49:26 am »
This is what we use at the brewery. They actually work pretty well. It's no Zahm but it gets you close enough to dial in accuracy with experience. We use yes, modified slightly with a tri-clamp, to read directly of BT.

Offline tommymorris

The Taprite Beer Carbonation Tester
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 06:12:53 am »
I guess Adventures in Homebrewing must sell gear to breweries. I can see using this on a  commercial scale but I am not sure why a homebrewer would want one. Except the coolness factor of course.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 06:30:21 am »
I guess Adventures in Homebrewing must sell gear to breweries. I can see using this on a  commercial scale but I am not sure why a homebrewer would want one. Except the coolness factor of course.

I don't know but we bought ours from Foxx which deals only directly to companies and not to the public and it was exactly the same price.

I look around at some stuff homebrewers are buying now days and it shocks me what folks will spend. B ut I see your point about this purchase. Time and pressure is all you need while a commercial brewery is trying to get hundreds of gallons of beers carbbed in a few hours. I'm about ready to drop 2.5K on a carbonation wizard that dials in co2 perfectly.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 09:29:17 am »
I don't know but we bought ours from Foxx which deals only directly to companies and not to the public and it was exactly the same price.

I look around at some stuff homebrewers are buying now days and it shocks me what folks will spend. B ut I see your point about this purchase. Time and pressure is all you need while a commercial brewery is trying to get hundreds of gallons of beers carbbed in a few hours. I'm about ready to drop 2.5K on a carbonation wizard that dials in co2 perfectly.

Is Carbonation Wizard a union job?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 05:19:49 am »
I look around at some stuff homebrewers are buying now days and it shocks me what folks will spend.

Homebrewing is still one of the cheapest primarily white-collar hobbies in the United States. Have you priced American-made guitars lately?  The average Paul Reed Smith (PRS) guitar sells for $3K, and I know guys who own a dozen or more of these instruments plus a few Gibson Historics that sell for $5K+. 

RPIScotty

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 06:04:43 am »
I look around at some stuff homebrewers are buying now days and it shocks me what folks will spend.

Homebrewing is still one of the cheapest primarily white-collar hobbies in the United States. Have you priced American-made guitars lately?  The average Paul Reed Smith (PRS) guitar sells for $3K, and I know guys who own a dozen or more of these instruments plus a few Gibson Historics that sell for $5K+.

This ^^^^^

Right after I graduated I was looking to upgrade my guitar and shopped around for a Gibson R9 Historic. Even with a plain top I was looking at ~$4,800. I then looked to a PRS David Grissom and was still greeted with a nearly $3,000 price tag.

I bet people would be pretty surprised to hear how much people spend on golf. Add up all those rounds and equipment, etc. and you'll find Sacch's comments ring true. Homebrewing is cheap and if you're a family man/woman it keeps you home.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 06:23:16 am »

I know there are mixed reviews floating around out there, but I have nothing but great things to say about my Carvins. Custom made to spec at 1/4 the price of a PRS or Gibson/Fender Custom shop.

I'm not going to lie, though. My Epiphone LP does everything I'd want from an US-made Gibson and then some at a fraction of the price.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 07:27:29 am »
There are thousands of $16-23k ten year old Harleys with under 20k miles on them in garages across the country. Talk about an expensive hobby... especially when you figure in financing

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 07:31:21 am »

This ^^^^^

Right after I graduated I was looking to upgrade my guitar and shopped around for a Gibson R9 Historic. Even with a plain top I was looking at ~$4,800. I then looked to a PRS David Grissom and was still greeted with a nearly $3,000 price tag.

I bet people would be pretty surprised to hear how much people spend on golf. Add up all those rounds and equipment, etc. and you'll find Sacch's comments ring true. Homebrewing is cheap and if you're a family man/woman it keeps you home.
Totally agree. Granted, I probably bought a few thousand dollars worth of gear in my first couple of years, but compared to a set of high end golf clubs plus green fees, I still come out ahead brewing.

On the other hand at the end of 18 holes I would know exactly how bad I screwed up my round. In this game, at the end of brewday I'm only maybe past about 50% of my potential mistakes ;-)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 12:06:51 pm »

Yeah, I know. It is relatively cheap compared to other hobbies. But never the less, I'm still shocked at how much people spend.

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 02:16:41 pm »

So what you're saying is that homebrewing isn't the first hobby that hipsters have done their best to suck the fun out of?  :o
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:22:23 pm by tesgüino »

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 05:20:21 pm »
There are thousands of $16-23k ten year old Harleys with under 20k miles on them in garages across the country. Talk about an expensive hobby... especially when you figure in financing

Or an accident that spiral breaks your femur and rag dolls you 150+ feet down the road, because someone braked to save a squirrel ahead. I think the total bill, including the titanium rod and three days hospital was north of $120K. So yeah, motorcycles. I could buy a 10 BBL brewhouse for less.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 05:28:43 pm »
Or an accident that spiral breaks your femur and rag dolls you 150+ feet down the road, because someone braked to save a squirrel ahead. I think the total bill, including the titanium rod and three days hospital was north of $120K. So yeah, motorcycles. I could buy a 10 BBL brewhouse for less.

Wow, that is just brutal. Glad it wasn't worse.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 07:48:21 pm »
Yeah, I haven't ridden my motorcycle in about 2 years. Used to be a daily rider but too many idiots on their cell phones now days. But that main reason is I just lost the bug to ride.