Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do you strain your hops?  (Read 6146 times)

Offline Adamg8504

• 1st Kit
Do you strain your hops?
« on: May 03, 2016, 05:43:41 am »
When I first started brewing 5-6 years ago, I always used a muslin bag.  For the last 2-3 years, I have just thrown them in the boil.  I figured I got better utilization and didn't have to mess with using/remembering to buy the muslin bags. 

Well, I just brewed an IPL and used about 6oz's of hop pellets for a 5 gallon batch.  I ended up yielding a little less then I would have hoped for and it just got me to thinking about trying to strain the hops again.

I know, I know...people are going to say, "just make a 6 or 6.5 gal batch instead of a 5".  And that's what I kinda have been doing but recently, I'd like to be a little more efficient, for whatever reason...

So, what are you guys doing for your beers that have significant hop additions (>5oz per 5gal batch)?
Fermenting/Aging: IPA, Blonde ale, Spiced Holiday ale, Citra Hefeweizen, Cider, Munich Dunkel, Coffee Oatmeal Stout,

On Tap: Pale ale, RIS, Wee Heavy, Belgian Tripel

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
Re: Do you strain your hops?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:59:57 am »
I sometimes have a lot of hop trub at the bottom of the boiler after siphoning off the wort. I let some go through the siphon. If there's a lot left, I pour it into a muslin-lined funnel over a jug (all sanitised). Over an hour or so the liquid drains out - usually enough for another couple of bottle of beer. Not a great deal, but it has a lot of hop flavour that would otherwise go to waste.

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:21:02 am »
There are several different filter options available, from ones that go into your kettle to using a stainer over your FV. I personally whirlpool and adjust pre boil volume. I'm ok with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:21:41 am »
I opt for pellets if possible and have a separate equipment profile for hoppy beers which just bumps up the loss to trub.

I usually use a SS strainer as I transfer into fermenters, but if it becomes a PITA I'll let it ride.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:51:34 am »
I use a 300 micron 6x11" stainless steel filter like this:

http://arborfab.com/store/brewing-filters/6-brew-filter-stainless-steel-mesh

The 6x11 fits my 10G SS Brewtech kettle great. Before I had it, I was having trouble clogging my pump when whirlpooling/chilling. This solved the issue for me and I don't have to mess with bags. I did find I had to increase my hop additions a touch, but around 10% difference based on my sensory evaluation (e.g. I felt like increasing hops by 10% gave me roughly the same beer).

He offers a 400 micron version as well if you want to let a little more stuff through.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 07:52:23 am »
I use 1-gal paint filter bags.  I get 3 for $2-3 from Menards.

Offline Adamg8504

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:01:49 am »
Thanks for the replies.

I like the SS mesh filter.  Not sure how it would work with a hydra wort chiller in the pot though.
Fermenting/Aging: IPA, Blonde ale, Spiced Holiday ale, Citra Hefeweizen, Cider, Munich Dunkel, Coffee Oatmeal Stout,

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:07:48 am »
Depending on whether I'm using leaf or pellet hops and the quantities involved, I use either bags (Muntons grain steeping bag, muslin bags), or large stainless steel tea balls. 
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:40:05 am »
I like the SS mesh filter.  Not sure how it would work with a hydra wort chiller in the pot though.
When I add my IC I end up using my leather work gloves to lift the filter off the side, put the IC in place, and then drop the filter back in. The "hook" is long enough that the filter can hang down in the open center of the IC.

Based on pictures I've seen the Hydra is wider than my IC (I'm jealous). I don't remember if it's that wide from top to bottom or not.

Chad at Arbor Fabricating is really helpful. I bought my screen back in the early days of the product and he e-mailed back and forth with me to quickly choose an appropriate one for my kettle. I'm sure he has customers with Hydra chillers so if a mod is needed he probably knows and can probably do it for you.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 08:50:35 am »
+1. I bought a 10" spider that fits the ID of my IC perfectly.
Jon H.

Offline Adamg8504

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 09:02:57 am »
When I add my IC I end up using my leather work gloves to lift the filter off the side, put the IC in place, and then drop the filter back in. The "hook" is long enough that the filter can hang down in the open center of the IC.

Based on pictures I've seen the Hydra is wider than my IC (I'm jealous). I don't remember if it's that wide from top to bottom or not.

Chad at Arbor Fabricating is really helpful. I bought my screen back in the early days of the product and he e-mailed back and forth with me to quickly choose an appropriate one for my kettle. I'm sure he has customers with Hydra chillers so if a mod is needed he probably knows and can probably do it for you.

Thanks for the replies.  I think I might end up going this route.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 09:36:43 am »
I brew 3 gallon batches, so what works for me is pouring through a series of these filters that fit onto a bucket fermenter:

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=fs5&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmKG5BRDv4YaE5t6oqf0BEiQAwqDNfLS7ZkLG9jdQsvB7cwfRxSI9NTEBtWEzNhTyIgafjGAaAglg8P8HAQ

I use 400-200-100-75 micron. It keeps the vast majority of the hop material from going through. It clogs really easy if you're not careful pouring from a hop-heavy IPA.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 09:56:20 am »
A good whirlpool and a slow pull is all that is needed. I get minimal break or hop material.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 10:02:45 am »
I'm not fearful of hop matter getting into the fermentation vessel but I like to get some of the trub out of the wort. I go from kettle to fermentation vessel by pouring the wort so I pass it through a strainer. Eventually enough hop matter will get caught and form a loose filter that in turn will catch smaller particles. Works with both whole and pellet hops.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 10:13:54 am »
A good whirlpool and a slow pull is all that is needed. I get minimal break or hop material.
Are you whirlpooling using a pump or manual stirring? I ended up getting my filter because I was sometimes having trouble with my kettle valve clogging during whirlpooling. Even without the filter I was able to transfer without clogging -- now I can just do it faster.