Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weyrman floor malted Pilsner  (Read 9169 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Weyrman floor malted Pilsner
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 05:59:28 am »
WHAT? NO CARAHELL???

No, of course not!
Shame, won't be a very good helles!

I'm confident there will be at least a variant of success. ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 06:20:25 am »
I use Weyernmann floor malted BoPils malt in my bohemian Pilsner. I like it.

Good to know! I may try a BoPils with it sometime but I felt Helles would be a good way to discover the malt profile. I did use some finishing hops but kept it on the low side. May nit end up being a very traditional Helles but I'm not too concerned about that stuff very often anymore.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 09:53:34 am »
WHAT? NO CARAHELL???

No, of course not!
Shame, won't be a very good helles!

I'm confident there will be at least a variant of success. ;)
Ah, again with the winking.
Jesse

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 10:02:43 am »
Our friend Bryan let the following link slip by accident on another forum.  You can download a lot of cool specs including Kolbach indices -- in English, no less!

http://www.weyermann.de/usa/gelbe_seiten_usa.asp?go=brewery&umenue=yes&idmenue=269&sprache=10

For whatever it's worth, the floor malted pilsner malt is still considered by anyone's standards to be "well modified", so anyone purposely looking for an undermodified malt here is unlikely to find what they want.  Just so you know.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 10:11:47 am »
I've seen that doc countless times.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 10:21:23 am »
I've seen that doc countless times.

I'm sure many people have, but some like myself had not.  I still see people talking about how floor malted pils is supposedly undermodified, but when you look at the specs, it's clearly NOT.  I like to rely on science more than rumors and opinions, at least in some cases.  ;)

Here's an even more specific link:

http://www.weyermann.de/pdf_analyses/q019-001960-01.pdf

Based on some interwebby searches, Kolbach under 38% is about the threshold from moderate to undermodified.  So, at 41% Kolbach, this malt is actually pretty well modified.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 10:25:23 am »
There was a thread talking about it not too long ago. I think considering it's just on the edge and could pose an issue for newer all-grain brewers, it's wise to point it out. I used to be scared of trying it due to the mythos.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 10:45:33 am »
I'm sure many people have, but some like myself had not.  I still see people talking about how floor malted pils is supposedly undermodified, but when you look at the specs, it's clearly NOT.  I like to rely on science more than rumors and opinions, at least in some cases.  ;)

Based on some interwebby searches, Kolbach under 38% is about the threshold from moderate to undermodified.  So, at 41% Kolbach, this malt is actually pretty well modified.

I think it's only in the last few years that it's become more modified, Dave. I remember a few year back that retailers ran the disclaimer that it needed to be step mashed. Pretty easy to use now.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 11:11:20 am »
I did not get a lot analysis on this batch of malt but Weyermann's web site specifically says it can be used 100% of the mash and says nothing about a step mash. It may be higher in protein because I had a LOT of break material in the kettle.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 12:19:43 pm »

I think it's only in the last few years that it's become more modified, Dave. I remember a few year back that retailers ran the disclaimer that it needed to be step mashed. Pretty easy to use now.

I've concluded the same. I remember years ago looking at the "slightly undermodified" version of the Wey Floor-malted BoPils and considering a bag. More recently I've looked for it again and it seems to have disappeared from their lineup.

Here's a breadcrumb from when it was still available (Kolbach of 38.4% which is right on the cusp of undermod):
http://www.weyermann.de/downloads/pdf/Voigt_Poster_Trends%20in%20Brewing%20Ghent%202010.pdf

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:47 pm »

I don't doubt the truth in that at all.  We've come a long way here in the 21st century.  Now for those who want to do decoctions and step mashes on purpose, it's got to be dang near impossible to find anything undermodified enough to be worth the bother and not destroy body and head retention.
Dave

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 01:09:13 pm »

I don't doubt the truth in that at all.  We've come a long way here in the 21st century.  Now for those who want to do decoctions and step mashes on purpose, it's got to be dang near impossible to find anything undermodified enough to be worth the bother and not destroy body and head retention.

I'd love to try a decoction with an undermodified malt. There's a (somewhat, 2 hours away) local malt source, Copper Fox Distillery, that malts completely by hand. They determine it's modified enough by tasting/intuition, and I'm wondering if it would be undermodified enough to work. Only problem is they smoke their malt to dry it, doubt it'd make a good beer if used predominantly.

I suppose home malting may work, but I have neither the space, time, nor inclination to try at the moment.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 02:03:40 pm »
I think the main concern is not that it can self convert, but it can't carry a lot of other low Kolbach grain with it like more highly modified pilsner or other base malts can. No experience, just what I recall from the past threads on lower kolbach numbers. Does it have enough DP to convert an entire mash or just itself, that is the question to figure out
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 03:38:12 pm »
I step mashed my lagers this year, too lazy to decoct. They turned out fine and have good body and head retention on the 100% Pils malt beers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 06:23:57 am »
I think the main concern is not that it can self convert, but it can't carry a lot of other low Kolbach grain with it like more highly modified pilsner or other base malts can. No experience, just what I recall from the past threads on lower kolbach numbers. Does it have enough DP to convert an entire mash or just itself, that is the question to figure out

I mashed it with 5% floor malted Munich and had no problems. Granted, not like I used adjuncts of anything. I think it's also interesting that I beat my expected efficiency by a couple points compared to best pils but I'm sure that's from the step mash (and longer rest).

Honestly though, I thought for some reason I was trying something new that you guys would find interesting. I should have known everyone had already "been there, done that." That's why I love you guys! :)