Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weyrman floor malted Pilsner  (Read 9149 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Weyrman floor malted Pilsner
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 06:26:36 am »
I think it's also interesting that I beat my expected efficiency by a couple points compared to best pils but I'm sure that's from the step mash (and longer rest).

Yeah, the helles I did recently was the first step mash I'd done in years and I forgot about the efficiency bump you get. I was about 5 points over target.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 07:18:10 am »
Because of the potential for the malt to be undermodified I expected lower efficiency and almost threw a few sacks of regular pils in to be safe. Glad I didn't. I feel comfortable enough on my system that I have now that I think I can to a hockurz for all my German style lagers. It was a fun brewday.

narvin

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 09:12:19 am »
Because of the potential for the malt to be undermodified I expected lower efficiency and almost threw a few sacks of regular pils in to be safe. Glad I didn't. I feel comfortable enough on my system that I have now that I think I can to a hockurz for all my German style lagers. It was a fun brewday.

Cool, so you're doing step infusion on the big system?  How long does that take?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 10:31:33 am »

Cool, so you're doing step infusion on the big system?  How long does that take?

Not quite ready yet for double batch days on flag ship brews but hopefully have equipment coming this summer to make it a reality for every beer. But for one off tasting room beers or single brew days it is completely doable.

Offline schreiner

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 12:22:07 am »
I'm glad I did some reading here before my brew day tomorrow.  Making a Kolsch style beer with 100% floor malted bo pils.  Going to do a simple single infusion mash based on the info here!  Thank you all!

Offline frumpland

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2016, 07:46:43 pm »
I like the way Weyermann light and dark floor malt performs. I have used the malt since the time it has become available. In the mid 80's I used Budvar low modified, low protein floor malt which was very expensive and it too had the sweet, wet hay scent. The wet hay is a positive as far as I am concerned, it is part of the beer style and the malt that was used to make the beer, originally. However, some may find it offensive, olfactory systems differ. I think that the scent in the air coming off of a hay field after a rain is nice, others may get hay fever. The scent reminds me of summer and good times and the scent of a field during the fall, a type of melancholy sets in because summer is ending. Perhaps, a person has to live in an area where there are fields of hay and wheat growing to be able to tune into the whole thing and some have never had that option.
It is not a bad idea to use a malt data sheet and to learn what the data means. The sheet is produced for a reason and it is a valuable tool that a brew master uses. Many home brewers do not know of its existence.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2016, 10:41:47 pm »
This has been a brewer friendly malt for me. I mashed this malt 50/50 with the floor malted dark malt and 2 ozs of CaraAroma and hit 1.048 on the button as predicted. Used a beta and an alpha rest to get ~100% conversion efficiency, no problem.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 04:52:05 am »
I think that the scent in the air coming off of a hay field after a rain is nice, others may get hay fever. The scent reminds me of summer and good times and the scent of a field during the fall, a type of melancholy sets in because summer is ending. Perhaps, a person has to live in an area where there are fields of hay and wheat growing to be able to tune into the whole thing and some have never had that option.

That's the character that I crave in a good lager. Don't know if I'll ever get it on my current system, but it's nice to have a goal.

I do agree that you have to live in the countryside to really understand that smell, there's nothing else quite like it.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 04:40:56 pm »
Unfortunately where I grew up, the air was so dry that we had to bale hay at 2am to get enough humidity so that it didn't crumble to bits. In June that also overlapped with wheat season, so we would leave the wheat field at 10pm, eat dinner, sleep a couple hours and go back to the hayfield at 2am.

Great smell, but long, hard days at work.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 05:14:30 am »
I have a Helles on tap at Yellowhammer made with this malt that is getting rave reviews if anyone local wants to try it. Made with 95% floor malted pils and 5% floor malted Munich.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 07:02:54 am »
I have a Helles on tap at Yellowhammer made with this malt that is getting rave reviews if anyone local wants to try it. Made with 95% floor malted pils and 5% floor malted Munich.
Thanks for letting us know. Will it last until the weekend?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 07:18:26 am »

Sounds tasty, Keith.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

Weyrman floor malted Pilsner
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2016, 06:17:30 pm »
I assume this is the Helles Bock? Just bought a Crowler.

Delicious.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:35:34 pm by alestateyall »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2016, 06:56:54 am »

Delicious.

Thanks! If it is the Helles Bock it is made with Best Pils. The "Helles Keller" is an unfiltered Helles brewed with the Bohemian Floor Malted pils. Looks like you will have to go back!  ;)

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2016, 08:38:23 pm »

Delicious.

Thanks! If it is the Helles Bock it is made with Best Pils. The "Helles Keller" is an unfiltered Helles brewed with the Bohemian Floor Malted pils. Looks like you will have to go back!  ;)
I finally has the Helles Keller. That was a great Helles. It's clear as a bell now. I assume it was more cloudy before since it was "unfiltered".