Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cerveza recipe  (Read 4752 times)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Cerveza recipe
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:08:06 pm »
I was looking to try a Mexican beer recipe to change things up a bit. Anyone have any suggestions for a 5 gallon recipe.  I would need to use a ale yeast because I don't have a chamber.  I have a basement that works for now.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Cerveza recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:13:23 pm »
I happen to be brewing a mexican style vienna lager for the first time on Friday. I think most Mexican beers are likely corn adjunct lagers but I could very well be wrong. I hate to be that guy (trust me, people used to tell me the same thing) but it's going to be very tough to duplicate one with ale yeast. Maybe go down the cream ale path with some noble hops instead or try a cali lager yeast?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:15:34 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:23:45 pm »
I figured I would be side-stepping a bit with the use of an ale yeast, but that's the reason I'm asking. I saw a IAH recipe using ale yeast and it sparked my interest.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 04:51:00 pm »
How cold can you keep the ferment? I would use W34/70 as high as 60F before I'd use an ale yeast to brew a lager-style beer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 05:01:15 pm »
How cold can you keep the ferment? I would use W34/70 as high as 60F before I'd use an ale yeast to brew a lager-style beer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that strain (2124/34-70/830) is pretty forgiving. Maintaining temps in a tub of cold water with frozen water bottles is do-able. Been there , done it. Actually I chilled and held at actual lager temps doing that in the day. The real trick is being able to cool enough in the first place (and of course swapping out bottles often enough).
Jon H.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 05:09:03 pm »
Wyeast 1007 can get pretty lager-like if you can get in the low 60'sF, but you need to fine it out.
WYeast1056/WLP001 can also be very clean when fermented cool, as is Nottingham.
Finally, WYeast2112 is an option, too, if you can get to 58F.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 06:08:02 pm »
Basement temp is ~65. The water bath is an option but I don't have a lot of time to babysit it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:10:50 pm »
Basement temp is ~65. The water bath is an option but I don't have a lot of time to babysit it.
34/70 may be able to handle that, but I don't know if I'd willingly push it that high as peak fermentation may get neat 70F. Chico (001/1056/US-05) is probably the best way to go. I like the Cream Ale recommendation. I don't think you can get that super-clean Mexican lager character without fermenting a clean lager yeast down in the low 50's.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 08:11:07 am »
I was looking to try a Mexican beer recipe to change things up a bit. Anyone have any suggestions for a 5 gallon recipe.  I would need to use a ale yeast because I don't have a chamber.  I have a basement that works for now.

Many people seem to question this, but have you read http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fermentation-temperature-pt-4-lager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

It would seem that 34/70 works as good at 70F as it does at 50F.  He also did something similar with WLP800.  You can easily find all the commentary against/criticizing this, but I'm in a similar situation as you (basement 64F, no desire to pay for a freezer and electricity to ferment beer with) and I'm going for it to see for myself.  Four lagers in the next two months at 64F.  I will cold-crash in ice water and fine with gelatin, but no "real" lagering.

Good luck!

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 08:30:55 am »
Also, I've used 029 (kolsch) at that temp, then "lagered" bottles in my garage in the winter to get the yeast to drop out, and it turned out very lager-y.  I'm pretty sure that fining would produce similar results faster.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 08:50:39 am »

Many people seem to question this, but have you read http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fermentation-temperature-pt-4-lager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

It would seem that 34/70 works as good at 70F as it does at 50F.  He also did something similar with WLP800.  You can easily find all the commentary against/criticizing this, but I'm in a similar situation as you (basement 64F, no desire to pay for a freezer and electricity to ferment beer with) and I'm going for it to see for myself.  Four lagers in the next two months at 64F.  I will cold-crash in ice water and fine with gelatin, but no "real" lagering.

Good luck!

I recently brewed a beer using 34/70 at 64F myself. I disagree that it makes the same beer as lower temperatures but closer to a lager flavor than US-05 at 60F.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 09:09:54 am »

Good luck!

I recently brewed a beer using 34/70 at 64F myself. I disagree that it makes the same beer as lower temperatures but closer to a lager flavor than US-05 at 60F.

Interesting.  Sulfur production at all?

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 11:26:45 am »
Put your fermenter in a water bath and put an old T-shirt over it that wicks water up from the bath.  Point a fan at it and I'd bet you can get 60F without much babysitting.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 12:00:53 pm »
I agree with Philbrew - also toss some bleach in the water to keep anything nasty from growing in it.  Doesn't affect the beer, but it keeps the container from getting moldy or gunky.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 01:25:32 pm »
Good advice here. I was able to do my first couple of lagers in a tub filled with water where I switched out frozen water bottles. I think my ferment temperature was about 55F. It did require quite a bit of babysitting though...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale