Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nelson IPA  (Read 2656 times)

Offline zsmith87

• Cellarman
Nelson IPA
« on: May 03, 2016, 04:11:02 pm »
Recently had a Trillium Dialed In http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/trillium-dialed-in-double-ipa/ which is brewed with Sauvignon Blanc grape juice. It began to make me think what it would be like adding a half of bottle of Sauvignon Blanc wine to an IPA heavily hopped with Nelson Sauvignon. Has anyone ever done this before? Is a half of bottle too much or too little?

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Nelson IPA
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:03:36 pm »
I brewed a Saison using Gewürztraminer grape must and Nelson Sauvin hops. I used 3 quarts of must in secondary added to 3 gallons of beer. I ended up aging it about 6 months before it hit its prime. At that point the hops had dropped off and the wine character took over. I used 2 ounces of hops in the whirlpool.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's at least one data point you could reference. If I were brewing an IPA with wine added I'd guess about 2 bottles in a typical 5 gallon batch would be a good starting point. But if I was using wine I'd probably just mix it in the glass at serving time rather than adding it all in the beer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:39:23 am »
The Mad Fermentationist has a few blogs where he's added wine to saisons, might be worth looking on there.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/08/new-zealand-saison-and-glycosides.html
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline zsmith87

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:44:32 pm »
The Mad Fermentationist has a few blogs where he's added wine to saisons, might be worth looking on there.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/08/new-zealand-saison-and-glycosides.html

Thanks man, didn't see that before, looks like I'll give it a shot!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:02:21 pm »
I brewed a Saison using Gewürztraminer grape must and Nelson Sauvin hops. I used 3 quarts of must in secondary added to 3 gallons of beer. I ended up aging it about 6 months before it hit its prime. At that point the hops had dropped off and the wine character took over. I used 2 ounces of hops in the whirlpool.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's at least one data point you could reference. If I were brewing an IPA with wine added I'd guess about 2 bottles in a typical 5 gallon batch would be a good starting point. But if I was using wine I'd probably just mix it in the glass at serving time rather than adding it all in the beer.

This was an awesome beer!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 06:06:16 pm »

Thanks, Jim!
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:58 pm »

Thanks, Jim!

Still haven't brewed one of these. I really need to.
Jon H.

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 06:31:52 pm »

Thanks, Jim!
Is this the same one you sent me? Sounds amazing.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:30:34 pm »

Thanks, Jim!
Is this the same one you sent me? Sounds amazing.
Yeah. Consider it a bonus beer in case any of the others aren't up to snuff :)
Eric B.