Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Partial Mash Brewer - Red Color?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
Partial Mash Brewer - Red Color?
« on: May 09, 2016, 04:09:22 pm »
So I am a partial mash brewer.  I usually do a partial mash at 155 degrees for 30 minutes.  Is there any way I can get a red/ruby colored wort?  I tried making a red ipa using carared and a touch of roasted barley and that came out amber with a touch of red.  Can I use red x ?

RPIScotty

Re: Partial Mash Brewer - Red Color?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 04:59:25 am »
So I am a partial mash brewer.  I usually do a partial mash at 155 degrees for 30 minutes.  Is there any way I can get a red/ruby colored wort?  I tried making a red ipa using carared and a touch of roasted barley and that came out amber with a touch of red.  Can I use red x ?

ive steeped basemalts in 155degrees for 30 minutes without issues before.  I used carared before and didnt like the color it gave out, thats why i figured id try red x.
To get the red color out of Red X it needs to be that vast majority of your grain bill and at the 1.050 gravity range. It gives a striking red color at that usage rate. At different amounts, or in combination with other malts, it will really only push you towards an orange hue. Flavor-wise I find it pretty close to a light Munich malt.

If you're looking for a steeping grain to get a red color, a light touch of Roast Barley is probably the best option.

Eric sums it up pretty well in your other post.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:34:51 am »
I was told the best red was a dark crystal 120/150 and roasted barley, dated info prior to red x malt
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 08:13:21 am »
thanks for the info.  an orange color wouldnt be bad either.  Im just not looking for that amber/dark red color.  Thanks!

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 08:28:49 am »
My suggestion for a deep red beer is to use Jamil's Evil Twin recipe as a guide.  It can be found at www.mrmalty.com.  Since you're doing a mini mash, use all of the specialty malts, plus as much base malt as your system will allow.  Just taking wild guesses with regard to batch size, OG, and efficiency, here is what it might look like:

OG: 1.057 (65% efficiency for the mini mash) 5 gallon batch
SRM: 16*L.
5 lbs Extra Light DME
2.25 lb Best Malz Red X
.75 lb Caramel 40
.375 lb Caramel 120
.375 lb Victory
.25 lb Pale Chocolate

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:46:12 am by barliman »
Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:31:31 am »
After looking through some other recipes for some red coloring IPAs. Here is what I've come up for a Partial Mash.

Partial Mash at 155 degrees for 30 minutes:
3lbs Red X
12oz Caramel 40L
8oz Flaked Wheat
6oz Caramel 120L
4oz Honey Malt

Bring to a boil add 3.3 LBS Pilsen Liquid Malt

Boil  Schedule:
1oz Warrior - 60 Min
3.3lbs Pale Liquid Malt
1oz Azacca - 15 Min
1oz Cascade - 15 Min
1oz Centennial - 15 Min
1oz Azacca - 0 Min
1oz Cascade - 0 Min
1oz Centennial - 0 Min
1oz Citra - 0 min

Once fermentation is complete,  Im going to peel and cube up fresh mango.  Put the mango in the freezer for a day. After that, Im going to thaw the mangoes and using a juicer, extract all the juice. Put that in the secondary and rack the brew onto the juice.  Then Im going to dry hop with Citra for 5 days.  3 days before bottling, Im going to cut up 1 habanero and soak it in vodka for an hour and then add it to the secondary. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:38:37 am »
Keep in mind that using extract, especially liquid extract, will darken your beer to some extent.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 01:26:06 pm »
yes I do remember that :)  I just dont have any choice at this point.