Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: briess 2 row on sale at amazon  (Read 5182 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: briess 2 row on sale at amazon
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 06:54:22 pm »
50 lbs showed up today and it's Great Western 2-row :D
I'm good with that! I never see GW products in my market.
This was the 10 pounds for $6.71 deal? I've never run across GW out my way either, so I'd certainly take a shot at this to give their malt a try.

Haven't tried it either. I've heard it's a nice domestic 2 row.
Jon H.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 07:53:21 pm »
This was the 10 pounds for $6.71 deal? I've never run across GW out my way either, so I'd certainly take a shot at this to give their malt a try.

Yeah, the deal posted in the original post (I think I got it at $6.73/10lb), only I was expecting Briess and it turned out to be GW.  I've used GW Northwest Pale Ale malt in an APA once and it was fine - nothing too memorable but I probably should have used it in something closer to an ESB for a more prominent malt presence.

I'm interested in finding out if anyone/everyone else got GW or if some folks really got Briess.  Doesn't matter to me much; just curious is all.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 05:31:07 am »
I've never had Melba toast but I imagine the analogy is that briess brewers malt is like stale toast compared to fresh toasted bread.

I use the analogy because Briess is the most boring and bland domestic 2-row that I have used to date.  GW is what the big West Coast brewers use when they use American 2-row. 

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 07:35:49 am »
My bags came unmarked but it tasted really good. Not bland like some describe briess to be. Seemed fresh.
Jimmykx250

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 08:38:54 am »

Haven't tried it either. I've heard it's a nice domestic 2 row.

IMO, GW and Rahr are the two best domestic malts.  I have never found Briess to have much flavor.  I understand things have changed there,so it may be better now.  But I'm happy with GW and Rahr and have noreason to try Briess again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 08:39:24 am »
My bags came unmarked but it tasted really good. Not bland like some describe briess to be. Seemed fresh.

Have you tasted it against others?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 07:50:53 pm »

Have you tasted it against others?
I'm curious about this also as many in my brew club have some strange love affair with Briess two-row that I can't quite get on board with.
Jesse

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 10:19:03 pm »
I'm curious about this also as many in my brew club have some strange love affair with Briess two-row that I can't quite get on board with.

They must be the people who eat the Melba toast at restaurants. :)  I am a member of the "anything is better than Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt" club.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:42:58 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 05:19:11 am »
Briess is the only American pale malt that I can get remotely local. Therefore it's the best base malt I've ever had!  :P
Frank

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 11:02:12 pm »
I often wonder where Briess would be today if they had not been the only domestic maltster selling into the eastern home brewing and micro markets in the early nineties.  The guys on the West Coast could get Great Western, but we were stuck with Briess.  The other choice was ridiculously priced Munton & Fison Pale Ale malt. Luckily, I did not have to wait too long from my LHBS to pick up DeWolf-Cosyns and Schreier 2-Row.  Of all the domestic 2-row malts that I have used, Schreier was the best.  It is a shame that Cargill took that company over.  The three base malts that I keep in my home brewery were Shreier 2-Row, Durst Pils , and DeWolf-Cosyns Pale Ale malt.  I have always hand-cranked my mill, and the DeWolf-Cosyns Pale Ale malt was so well modified that it was like crushing marshmallows compared to other malts.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 06:50:46 am »
I often wonder where Briess would be today if they had not been the only domestic maltster selling into the eastern home brewing and micro markets in the early nineties.  The guys on the West Coast could get Great Western, but we were stuck with Briess.  The other choice was ridiculously priced Munton & Fison Pale Ale malt. Luckily, I did not have to wait too long from my LHBS to pick up DeWolf-Cosyns and Schreier 2-Row.  Of all the domestic 2-row malts that I have used, Schreier was the best.  It is a shame that Cargill took that company over.  The three base malts that I keep in my home brewery were Shreier 2-Row, Durst Pils , and DeWolf-Cosyns Pale Ale malt.  I have always hand-cranked my mill, and the DeWolf-Cosyns Pale Ale malt was so well modified that it was like crushing marshmallows compared to other malts.

I don't use much Briess these days, but did in the past for the same reasons. Now for a lower price I can get Malteurope, $40 vs. $55 for a bag of Briess.

There are several well known breweries that use Briess. On a Bell's tour, the guide said they would get two truckloads a day. Bell's did start as a Homebrew shop, and I would venture that many of the original recipes were formulated using Briess.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 09:26:36 am »
I still say the Briess hate is formed around football...  I get get a pretty good deal on a 50lb sack so I use it and I get good results.  To me, it's all about using what you have. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 09:57:59 am »
I still say the Briess hate is formed around football...  I get get a pretty good deal on a 50lb sack so I use it and I get good results.  To me, it's all about using what you have.

Football?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 10:33:22 am »
Packers v. Vikings > Green Bay v. Minnesota > Briess v. Rahr
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 10:53:40 am »
Packers v. Vikings > Green Bay v. Minnesota > Briess v. Rahr

Ah...I don't follow football

www.dennybrew.com