Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Burch Brewery 2.0  (Read 4496 times)

Offline redtangent

• 1st Kit
Burch Brewery 2.0
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:09:59 pm »
Finished what I call Burch Brewery 2.0, an upgrade from the propane system i've used for the last 8 years or so (Adding pieces every year since I started). The idea was to be able to brew indoors in the winter, a bit cold outside in CT in the winter. Its a 10 gallon single tier system with 3 x 16 gallon kettles, using 2 Chugger pumps to move beer around. 1 x 5500 watt element in the BK and another in the HLT, the MLT uses a HERMS system with 50' of SS tubing  to control mash temperature and a CFC to cool the hot wort quickly. The control panel is pretty much a Kal Clone (awesome design) but was actually sourced from EBrewsupply which included some nice design changes. I use a stainless steel mesh hop basket to keep the hops contained. I tend to ferment in a 7.5 Gal BrewBucket in a fermentation fridge and store beer in a 4 tap keezer.

Brewed 6 or 7 batches on it so far and am really happy. Hopefully this will last me 10 years, but I doublt i'll be able to resist tweaking it as I go.

Offline Scbrews

• 1st Kit
  • Personal text?
Re: Burch Brewery 2.0
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 06:03:28 pm »
Nice job man, hard to beat electric , especially in the winter 😀
Beer and BBQ is our specialty 😀

Offline beernutz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 04:25:35 pm »
Finished what I call Burch Brewery 2.0, an upgrade from the propane system i've used for the last 8 years or so (Adding pieces every year since I started). The idea was to be able to brew indoors in the winter, a bit cold outside in CT in the winter. Its a 10 gallon single tier system with 3 x 16 gallon kettles, using 2 Chugger pumps to move beer around. 1 x 5500 watt element in the BK and another in the HLT, the MLT uses a HERMS system with 50' of SS tubing  to control mash temperature and a CFC to cool the hot wort quickly. The control panel is pretty much a Kal Clone (awesome design) but was actually sourced from EBrewsupply which included some nice design changes. I use a stainless steel mesh hop basket to keep the hops contained. I tend to ferment in a 7.5 Gal BrewBucket in a fermentation fridge and store beer in a 4 tap keezer.

Brewed 6 or 7 batches on it so far and am really happy. Hopefully this will last me 10 years, but I doublt i'll be able to resist tweaking it as I go.

Very nice system!  I am interested in your control panel stand as I'm building one like it for my panel.  Is the angle of the board the control panel sits on fixed?  How did you mount the panel on the board? 
I am considering putting wheels on the bottom of mine as I have to move it from my garage where its stored to my backyard where I brew on a gas herms system.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.--George Carlin

all grain brewing since 1991

Offline brewfreeordie603

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:16:18 pm »
Man, I am years away from that, but definitely want to go the electric route when I have more space inside.  Need to upgrade house to one with a bigger basement or a garage!  Looks great!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 04:08:31 pm »
WOW!!  That is all I can say.

I am truly a Neanderthal brewer.