Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Iodine vs Starsan  (Read 12109 times)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: Iodine vs Starsan
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 12:51:05 pm »
I like the idea of Iodophor or Paracetic as an occasional cleaner or on certain parts where I'd be most worried about wild yeast or mold hiding out (i.e. transfer tubing). I haven't had any issues, but I always worry about the silicon tubing I use to transfer to the fermentor as well as the vinyl tubing I use to transfer to the keg.

My typical cleaning regimen includes boiling for the silicon tubing and cam locks. Since I use a pump and I don't like taking my valves apart every brew, I end up recirculating boiling rinse water through all my hoses for 5-10 minutes after cleaning with PBW. Since I transfer my wort to the fermentor through that same loop, I clean and sanitize it like it's cold side. Same boiling regimen before I start the brew day (just a small amount to clear anything out before adding my strike water).

As it stands the boiling seems to do OK for the silicon. I just replace the vinyl every few brews, but with a different sanitizer maybe I could stretch that a little bit longer and feel a little less worried about some of the other parts by giving them a good soak now and then.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 03:33:38 pm »
I use a 3 foot length of silicone tubing for transferring hot sparge water, then soak it in iodophor before it is used to transfer the boiled and chilled wort to the fermenter.  Then an alkaline cleaner, rinse, iodophor soak and hang to dry.  No problems yet, but I would not hesitate to boil it if a problem arose.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 02:29:10 pm »
Timely thread.  Long time iodophor user and my supply is low.  Looks like I am going to stick with it.  Plus, I like the smell  ;D 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 05:05:49 pm »
I am a fan of iodophor.  You could not pay me to use Star San.  Star San has limited yeast and mold killing ability.  If you live in a rural or semi-rural area where crops that harbor wild yeasts are grown, you may want to skip using Star San and use a halogen(iodine or chlorine)-based  sanitizer or peracetic acid.  The halogen-based sanitizers and peracetic acid are broad spectrum antimicrobials.

+1 This.  Peracetic acid is a great idea for at least every few batches.

Do you make your own peracetic by mixing vinegar and peroxide or do you buy it?

I make it and try to do so when no one else is home.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:09:24 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 06:03:19 pm »
I started with iodiphor and liked it, then decided to try some Star San and didnt really care for the slipperiness and foaming.  I have both on hand and use both since I have a quart of it to use up.  What I do like about Star San is I can mix it in a spray bottle and it will keep for some time.