Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is 5.0 Ph too low?  (Read 10884 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Is 5.0 Ph too low?
« on: May 09, 2016, 07:45:21 am »
Doing a Boh pils today. Used .4 lb acid malt. Is a ph of 5.0 too low for the style, and is there any way to correct this?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Is 5.0 Ph too low?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 08:01:04 am »
Baking soda is something that you probably have on hand to raise pH. 

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 08:43:31 am »
Just getting to Beta rest temp now. Too late to bother adding? If not how much should I add?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:20:59 am »
I'd add a bit now anyway. If you have Brun Water can try to estimate the amount. If not I would start small, take a reading, and adjust if needed.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:40:27 am »
Just getting to Beta rest temp now. Too late to bother adding? If not how much should I add?

Beta-amylase likes a lower pH, according to Wikipedia, so conducting this part of mash at pH of 5.0 is fine.  The lower pH may reduce your hot break during the boil.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 12:13:46 pm »
in my experience, low mashing pH results in reduced body and mouthfeel. At lower pH, there is likely some degradation of the poly-saccharides or proteins that would typically exist in wort. No data, just my own perceptions of the end results.

It is probably too late to correct that effect via an alkali addition. The only thing that would occur is the wort pH is higher and the resulting beer pH might be slightly higher than if you didn't do anything.

It will still be beer, either way.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 01:08:03 pm »
in my experience, low mashing pH results in reduced body and mouthfeel. At lower pH, there is likely some degradation of the poly-saccharides or proteins that would typically exist in wort. No data, just my own perceptions of the end results.

It is probably too late to correct that effect via an alkali addition. The only thing that would occur is the wort pH is higher and the resulting beer pH might be slightly higher than if you didn't do anything.

It will still be beer, either way.
I've had similar experience. A few months ago while making an Oktoberfest I intended to add half my acid to the mash and half to the sparge water (usually I treat all the liquor at once). I was not paying attention (talking to someone) and made the mistake of doubling up. I ended up with a mash pH around 5 rather than the intended 5.3.

The beer did come out a bit thin in terms of moutfeel (and may be a bit muted in terms of flavor). It was still plenty drinkable. It probably would have been a good candidate for an experiment with freeze concentration, but we managed to drink it all before I ever got around to that.