Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ridiculous recipes on AHA  (Read 3721 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Ridiculous recipes on AHA
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 11:01:01 am »
I used the formulas in Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels to calculate the hops.

The tricky part is the difference in utilization on a commercial system vs. Homebrew systems.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 12:05:25 pm »
I used the formulas in Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels to calculate the hops.

The tricky part is the difference in utilization on a commercial system vs. Homebrew systems.

Jeff - do you adjust utilization between 5 and 10 gallon batches or from 5 to 15?  I go with linear between 5 to 10, but have always wondered about it and what others do....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 12:44:05 pm »
It seems like there are so many more variables to consider in hop utilization. I think mash efficiency works out more consistently because the results seem to "bend" toward a specific point, the "knobs" we can use to control it are fairly well understood, and the results are more easily measured.

Most agree that all IBU's are not equal, but even if they were most people don't measure IBU's on every batch (or maybe any). So we're left to taste the beer and then try and reverse engineer what changed the hop profile. Was this batch of hops fresher, was my pH a little bit higher, did my wort stand above 180 a few minutes longer than usual?

I heard an interview with Glenn Tinseth once (I think on Brew Strong). It was a great reminder that there's so much more to learn on this front, and that what is already known is still pretty rough and impacted by a lot of variables that are not well understood.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 12:53:33 pm »
It seems like there are so many more variables to consider in hop utilization. I think mash efficiency works out more consistently because the results seem to "bend" toward a specific point, the "knobs" we can use to control it are fairly well understood, and the results are more easily measured.

Most agree that all IBU's are not equal, but even if they were most people don't measure IBU's on every batch (or maybe any). So we're left to taste the beer and then try and reverse engineer what changed the hop profile. Was this batch of hops fresher, was my pH a little bit higher, did my wort stand above 180 a few minutes longer than usual?

Totally agree. Scaling grist % is pretty straightforward to me, but hop schedules and IBU are another matter, especially coming from a brewery where you don't know how much of the hop character comes from the whirlpool (or how long/ what temp) . I can usually get in the ballpark on hop schedule, and once there's that baseline, I can fine tune the next time I brew.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 02:39:52 pm »

Jeff - do you adjust utilization between 5 and 10 gallon batches or from 5 to 15?  I go with linear between 5 to 10, but have always wondered about it and what others do....

Not from 5 to 10, but 10 gallons to 7 bbls is different.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 07:35:40 pm »

IMO you need to brew it, taste it , adjust the recipe, and rebrew.

Ain't gonna get it right on the first try.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 06:10:50 am »

IMO you need to brew it, taste it , adjust the recipe, and rebrew.

Ain't gonna get it right on the first try.
I have had a few beers done on big systems, came out to be good, but not exactly replicated.

On BN accomplished guys like Tasty and JZ often had to rebrew, even after talking to the pro brewers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 07:51:55 pm »
I am a percentages and points per pound per gallon guy.  I can formulate the grist for any recipe given its original gravity and its grist percentages using little more than pencil and paper.  With that said, the reason why the numbers seem odd is because the recipe was clearly originally formulated using the metric system and converted to American units of measurement (a.k.a. US customary units) using a calculator or brewing software. 

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 05:14:52 pm »
In the case of these National Homebrew Competition recipes, that is exactly how they were submitted to us so that is how we post them. We don't want to start taking liberties and altering people's recipes.

That being said, the Zymurgy and AHA Web teams are devising a plan to address a standardization of recipes in print and on web, which would cover situations like unhelpful weight measurements and such.

As always, thanks for the feedback!!

Cheers,
Duncan
AHA Web Coordinator
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association