Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Festive Wee Heavy  (Read 4756 times)

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
Festive Wee Heavy
« on: May 09, 2016, 07:59:22 am »
Peepz,

I'll be brewing a wee heavy which is to be ready by September 18th.

The occasion is a ceilidh, celebrating the Scottish roots of Da Missus' side of the family. Ages 4 till 94. Last year I brewed an 8% scotch which went down well, but was not festive enough to my taste. I'll dig up the recipe as soon as I can.

I want it to be malty, bordering on chewy. Stately, but drinkable. Best case scenario, we'll have thirsty octogenarians sitting in the sun all afternoon. Worst case they'll be sitting inside b****ing about the weather.
Either way, I want to keep them occupied with beer to keep them from continuously pinching the greatgrandchildren's cheeks all afternoon.

Couple of choices I need to make, and for which I'd like your advice.

Firstly: a wee heavy or a wee heavy?
Former case would be something like an Old Chub style brew, OG around 1.100 and about 10% ABV. That should cover both "festive" and "stately", as well as shut'm all up after a few rounds.

Latter case would a in the ballpark of Traquair House ale, OG around 1.080 and 7-8% ABV. Still far from sessionable, this would be more congruent with what most Belgians consider a normal festive beer. Plus, given the size restrictions of my rig, it'll also mean more beer. 25 liters would make me very happy.

Grist would be (off the cuff)
80% Maris Otter
10% Munich
5% CaraMunich2
3% roasted barley
2% melanoidin

About a liter of the first runnings of this would be boiled separately to a thick syrup, to bring our the caramel, and then boiled together with the rest of the wort. 90' boil, with about 20-30 IBU's worth of EKG/Fuggles. Mostly early additions.

Ferment with Wyeast 1728 in a big beefy starter.

Advice and comments on the recipe would be much appreciated also :)

I have some oak chips which I've infused with Arran whisky which I'd been meaning to add as a throwback to the clan's geographic origins. That's right you lot: if a plane crashed on the right crowd, I could end up as the next owner of Brodick Castle.
Any other Scottisch ingredients or techniques which may be relevant, I'd be glad to hear about them.

All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Festive Wee Heavy
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:07:13 am »
Way off...much too complex.  Golden Promise and an oz. of roasted barley for color are all you need.  Just leave out the mushrooms and this is pretty much the Traquair House recipe...http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/WeeShroomy .  Ferment at 55F with WY1728
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 11:05:04 am »
Way off...much too complex.  Golden Promise and an oz. of roasted barley for color are all you need.  Just leave out the mushrooms and this is pretty much the Traquair House recipe...http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/WeeShroomy .  Ferment at 55F with WY1728

I have yet to try this recipe and plan on doing it soon. I understand how grain bills can become over-muddled with too many malts in the way, yet almost every year the winning gold medal recipe for NHC is a Strong Scotch Ale with many malts.  Any thoughts on that?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 11:48:15 am »

I have yet to try this recipe and plan on doing it soon. I understand how grain bills can become over-muddled with too many malts in the way, yet almost every year the winning gold medal recipe for NHC is a Strong Scotch Ale with many malts.  Any thoughts on that?

Al I can say is try this recipe than see if you think you need more malts.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 11:52:48 am »
Good call. I will.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:02:42 pm »

Al I can say is try this recipe than see if you think you need more malts.

It depends on whether you want a good beer to drink or one that will score well in the NHC.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 05:03:46 pm »
I would like both. But sure wouldn't mind a national medal to hang on my bedpost.... ;)

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 12:47:38 am »

Awww now you've gone'n'done it.
How can I resist a shroom beer?
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 11:34:34 am »

Awww now you've gone'n'done it.
How can I resist a shroom beer?

Because it's damn expensive if you have to but them!  I'm lucky in that I can pick my own.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 04:23:57 pm »

Since the small amount of roast barley is for color would it make any problem to use caraffa, or midnight wheat, or Blackprinz?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 07:01:48 pm »

Since the small amount of roast barley is for color would it make any problem to use caraffa, or midnight wheat, or Blackprinz?

Nope.  I've done swaps before.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 04:07:09 pm »

Nope.  I've done swaps before.

Good to know as I sometimes have other dark grains on hand and if I can use something I already have it's a money saver.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 11:14:30 am »

Brewed this today. Starter awaits first signs of life as the wort cools to ambient (I don't trust my plate cooler at the moment). That caramelised reduced first wort is damn strong stuff!
Subbed EKG for Nothern Brewer and upped the theoretical IBUs a bit since my EKG is a mix from 2014-2015's harvests. The resulting wort tasted promising.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 01:48:23 pm »
Awesome!  Please keep us posted as it ages.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 11:59:46 pm »
First update is not a happy one.
My Scottish Ale yeast never saw life. Smack did not bloat (that's 3 out of three for me now) and the starter into which I pitched it (1040, shaken not stirred) is still as a puddle, with a thin layer of sediment which I hazard to be dead yeast. No way I'm pitching that into my wort.

Wort which, unfortunately has to see some yeast unless I'm willing to brew a sour caramelly whatever. Which I'm not.

So bugger all that. I pitched some second hand Westmalle yeast I still had lying about the place and which has recently been used in an experimental small batch.

Not a wee heavy then, but something else. A scottish monk of sorts. Suggestions as to the name of this revolutionary new beer style are welcome.

All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote