Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Midwest Simply Beer  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Midwest Simply Beer
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:47:57 am »
Anybody else look at this? $20 for an extract recipe including dry yeast is a crazy solid deal. 6lbs of liquid extract is $18 from them normally and that's pretty typical from what I've seen.

Does anybody know what the shelf life of their extract is? I'm half interested in ordering a kit or two to keep around for last minute brewing.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-ingredients/recipe-kits/beer-simply-beer.html

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: Midwest Simply Beer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:53:28 pm »
It's been a few years, but last time I bought an extract kit from them the liquid extract came in a screw-top plastic bottle. It might not be a long-term shelf stable sort of thing, but their customer support is super knowledgeable and really helpful, so you can always give them a call or chat with them online to find out.

I did something similar once and have several sealed cans of LME on hand in case of a "brewing emergency". One of them ended up being Maris Otter, and every time I look at that can I think I should use it. Then I just go buy grain instead. Go figure....

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Midwest Simply Beer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 04:30:47 pm »
True. I brew an all-grain pale ale for <$15 depending on the hops. But it would be nice to have an easy 2.5 hour start to cleanup brew day for those times I have a free afternoon.

I haven't brewed extract in two years. The last time was for demo purposes during a beer week event. Before that it was another two years.