Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Will Big Lager One Day Go the Same Way As Big Porter?"  (Read 3734 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
"Will Big Lager One Day Go the Same Way As Big Porter?"
« on: May 09, 2016, 06:11:16 pm »
Really cool article from Martyn Cornell about the evolution of porter in England - from the preferred drink to out of favor over time. The parallels to BMC are interesting.

http://zythophile.co.uk/2016/05/08/will-big-lager-one-day-go-the-same-way-as-big-porter/

Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: "Will Big Lager One Day Go the Same Way As Big Porter?"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 07:09:31 pm »
Gonna have to get back and read the full article when I have more time, but the beginning page or so is very interesting stuff Jon
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 07:17:14 pm »
Very interesting read!  Thanks for posting.  Reminds me I am looong overdue to brew a historical porter/Durden Park stuff...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:02:32 am by zwiller »
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 05:38:10 am »
As one of those "about to fall off my perch"per the author, he fails to account for the new tricks of an old bird.  Those of us with more experienced life stage are also abandoning the BMC crowd, so perhaps it is a combination of the two - indeed the younger newer beer guzzlers may be sustaining the Big Lager trade as drinking what they can afford.....interesting read in any event!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 09:15:54 am »
I think it's an interesting cautionary tale about market psychology. When any concept/product/industry is in a hot streak people think it will never end. Calling the end is just as futile as trying to predict the next trend, but regression to the mean is inescapable.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 04:11:31 pm »
How much did Big Porter spend on advertising compared to Big Lager?
You can sell a lot of just about anything with a large enough advertising budget.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 08:00:06 pm »
I thought "big lager" meant like a dopplebock.....,

But anyway great article.  Little concerned about the observation that mid 50 year old lager drinkers will be dying off in 10-15 years...I hope to be imbibing for another 35 years or so anyway.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 06:24:35 am »
Sometimes all that money perverts advertising execs and they get a little out of touch with reality...  http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/05/10/budweiser-renames-cans-beer-america-anheuser-busch/84176886/
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 06:31:00 am »
Sometimes all that money perverts advertising execs and they get a little out of touch with reality...  http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/05/10/budweiser-renames-cans-beer-america-anheuser-busch/84176886/

I saw that yesterday............wow.  Kind of speechless beyond that.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 06:36:12 am »
Here's great article about "Market Disruption" that suggests that Bud has been making the same mistakes as companies such as Kodak and Blockbuster

http://theconversation.com/can-you-imagine-a-world-without-budweiser-we-can-56791

Hard to imagine a world without those blue cans of Bud Light littering the sides of the roads, but a boy can dream, can't he? ;)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 06:52:37 am »
Hard to imagine a world without those blue cans of Bud Light littering the sides of the roads, but a boy can dream, can't he? ;)
But how could I feel intellectually and morally superior if those people were littering the roadsides with empties of Duchesse De Bourgogne? I mean maybe we could let them have a Pivo Pils, but there needs to be a line right?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 07:05:21 am »
But how could I feel intellectually and morally superior if those people were littering the roadsides with empties of Duchesse De Bourgogne? I mean maybe we could let them have a Pivo Pils, but there needs to be a line right?

My hope and dream is that with an elevation in taste will also come with an elevation in class. If you throw your beer cans out the window then, yes, I am intellectually superior than you. I'd personally like to punch the people who litter my country road right in the face.

The article I linked to is a good one, so I'll try not to stray from topic. Read it if you have a chance.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 07:06:54 am »
Here's great article about "Market Disruption" that suggests that Bud has been making the same mistakes as companies such as Kodak and Blockbuster

http://theconversation.com/can-you-imagine-a-world-without-budweiser-we-can-56791

Yeah, the article is good. My fingers are crossed.
Jon H.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 07:10:28 am »

My hope and dream is that with an elevation in taste will also come with an elevation in class. If you throw your beer cans out the window then, yes, I am intellectually superior than you. I'd personally like to punch the people who litter my country road right in the face.

The article I linked to is a good one, so I'll try not to stray from topic. Read it if you have a chance.
Totally agree and I do like the article. Sorry, just couldn't resist the urge to be a smartass and make a joke that included Duchess. When I do that stuff at home my wife looks at me like I'm from Mars

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 07:18:19 am »

That's an interesting piece, but they ignore the distribution advantage AB has.

2. Customers who use the product need to go to an inconvenient, centralized location.

There's lots of interesting beer happening near me, but I still have to travel to a big liquor store to get it. My local store is small and has a few locals and my grocery store still has most of its space devoted to the big boys and the craft brands they distribute, none of which are local.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.