Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH meter ?  (Read 3811 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
pH meter ?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 05:57:34 am »
Thermoworks has 15% off site wide right now. I just bought a 8689 meter and solutions.
How do you like your meter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like it. It seems to work fine. I bought it because others on the board have spoken positively of it and I wanted an inexpensive pen type meter with replaceable probe.

Pluses: I like that it has a little screw on cap to hold the storage solution.

Minuses: the buttons on the faceplate are a bit awkward to press especially when the probe is in the liquid.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:13:06 am by alestateyall »

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
Re: pH meter ?
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 09:00:37 am »
Thermoworks has 15% off site wide right now. I just bought a 8689 meter and solutions.

I like it. It seems to work fine. I bought it because others on the board have spoken positively of it and I wanted an inexpensive pen type meter with replaceable probe.

Minuses: the buttons on the faceplate are a bit awkward to press especially when the probe is in the liquid.
Cool, curious if you use any water software to calculate your PH? And if so how accurate is it when compared to your readings?

I use brunwater but do not have a meter, still deciding if it's necessary and worth the cost and maintenance

Offline tommymorris

pH meter ?
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 12:44:13 pm »

Cool, curious if you use any water software to calculate your PH? And if so how accurate is it when compared to your readings?

I use brunwater but do not have a meter, still deciding if it's necessary and worth the cost and maintenance

I can't answer that yet. I have used for 2 batches with my house tap water but I don't know the exact makeup of that water. I plan to go back to RO water for my next batch. Then I will have some insight.

My first batch with the meter was with RO water but the RO water had TDS of 70ppm and I think I messed up the calibration. That result was off from Brunwater but I have no idea what made up the 70 ppm of TDS.

PS. without a meter I did think just using Brunwater with RO water was helping my beer. But, I could never measure my pH. I wanted to know exactly where I was so I can try to correlate to what I am tasting with my lagers.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:14:28 pm by alestateyall »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 07:34:31 pm »
I notice that the TDS from my RO unit can vary from about 20 to 50 ppm on a week by week basis. I have no idea if its an actual variation or a variation in the meter's reading. But when I think about the big picture, my 600+ ppm TDS is knocked down appreciably in any case. Life is good.

While I have confidence in the model used in Bru'n Water, I do understand that it is just a model and it is directly dependent upon the information input. I definitely still measure and monitor every mash's pH to find deviations.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline JoeyZR1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 05:49:33 am »
The meter I have has an auto temp correct. I use a Myron L ultra meter 2   I am not saying that is your problem, just a thought

Offline pfabsits

• Cellarman
    • Hanna Instruments
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 12:33:31 pm »

[/quote]
I can't answer that yet. I have used for 2 batches with my house tap water but I don't know the exact makeup of that water. I plan to go back to RO water for my next batch. Then I will have some insight.

My first batch with the meter was with RO water but the RO water had TDS of 70ppm and I think I messed up the calibration. That result was off from Brunwater but I have no idea what made up the 70 ppm of TDS.

PS. without a meter I did think just using Brunwater with RO water was helping my beer. But, I could never measure my pH. I wanted to know exactly where I was so I can try to correlate to what I am tasting with my lagers.
[/quote]

For EC/TDS measurements the ATC is very important since the slightest change in temp will affect the reading. There are multiple causes as to why a different value is obtained from an RO system. As far as the meter reading correctly the two things that come to mind are:
1) Temperature stability
2) Contamination

Depending on the meter that you have the thermistor used for temperature compensation can be either exposed or built into the body of the meter. An exposed temperature probe will compensate faster than one built inot the body. The one that is built in the body can take time to reach thermo-equilibrium with the sample. Until that happens the readings will drift until the temperature is stable.

As far as contamination, it takes very little of anything to contaminate the sensor. For example if the meter was recently calibrated or used to measure something else then it possible that there is a residue still left on the meter that will increase the EC/TDS reading.

Best practices for EC/TDS measurement include:
1) Use two beakers/containers for both calibration standard and sample
2) Use one beaker with calibration buffer for rinsing and the other for the actual calibration
3) Thoroughly rinse probe with DI/RO water
4) Use one beaker with RO water to test for a rinse and the other for testing
5) Place the meter in the  beaker. Do not allow to touch the sides or bottom of the beaker. The reason is that there is a fringe field effect with EC sensors. Disrupting the filed can yield different results

As stated previously, 70 ppm is noth very high TDS but I would expect a lower reading from an RO system. I have seen readings from 25-50 uS/cm EC which is equal to 12.5 to 25 ppm TDS.
One of the avid home brewers that work for Hanna Instruments

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 11:21:25 am »

I have now down two batches with Brunwater, a Ward labs water report, and the 8689 meter. Brunwater seems to do quite well predicting the Ph.

Batch 1. Brunwater: 5.18 Ph, 8689 measured 5.19 Ph. 
Batch 2. Brunwater: 5.27 Ph, 8689 measured 5.33 Ph.

I guessing any error has as much to do with my ability to calibrate and use the meter correctly as any other factor.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 12:37:37 pm »

I have now down two batches with Brunwater, a Ward labs water report, and the 8689 meter. Brunwater seems to do quite well predicting the Ph.

Batch 1. Brunwater: 5.18 Ph, 8689 measured 5.19 Ph. 
Batch 2. Brunwater: 5.27 Ph, 8689 measured 5.33 Ph.

I guessing any error has as much to do with my ability to calibrate and use the meter correctly as any other factor.
That's been my experience too. In fact, the biggest variation I've found has come when my LHBS changes malt suppliers. I saw a surprising change in actual pH (lower than Brunwater predicted) when they switched from Best Munich (which yielded a mash pH in-line with Brunwater) to Avanguard Munich (which for a few batches came in lower than Brunwater predicted).

Lately they've stuck with the Avanguard but the pH has come back closer to the Brunwater prediction. I know there have been other discussions indicating that some maltsters' products were sometimes tainted with acidulated or somehow otherwise overly acidic.

I guess my take-away from all that is while I feel pretty confident in the predictions, I still like to test mash pH once per batch even with tried and true recipes. Usually I just test the same sample I'm using for my pre-boil gravity and record it. At that point it's too late to adjust anything, but at least if any changed I'll understand how that might relate to any sensory differences I'm experiencing when tasting the beer.