General Category > Beer Recipes

Harp

(1/2) > >>

bru:
Looking for a good all grain recipe for Harp?

dmtaylor:
Well gosh... I like Harp as well, so while I haven't brewed this yet, I just went ahead and took a first stab at designing a recipe for us.  Keeping it nice and simple -- I think the real key would be to use English or Irish ingredients, and a clean malty lager yeast.  So how does this sound?

Harp Clone Attempt
5 gallons

OG=1.049
ABV=4.9%
IBU=17
SRM=2.7

8 lb English Pilsner malt
0.5 lb cane sugar
0.75 oz Kent Goldings (5.5% alpha, 60 minutes)
Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast

Make a big yeast starter in advance.  Need to add salts to hit Dublin water -- this is very important.  And then the pH won't be low enough so add some of that pH 5.2 stuff.  Do a standard single infusion mash for at least 40 minutes at about 149 F, boil 90 minutes to minimize DMS, ferment at about 50 F for 2 weeks, lager at 30-something for 3 more weeks.  Carbonate in the mid-range for the style.  It's all good.

Someday I might brew this.  So easy, yet so delicious.  If you get to it first, let me know how it turns out.  Good luck.

majorvices:

--- Quote from: dmtaylor on June 28, 2010, 08:54:29 PM ---Need to add salts to hit Dublin water --

--- End quote ---

I don't know about that, I'd bet a wooden nickel they make water adjustments with either slaked lime or RO water or something to get the mineral content down.

+1 to the huge yeast starter though. You are going to need at least a gallon starter, fermented to completion, decant spent starter beer and pitch only slurry to make a proper lager.

hokerer:

--- Quote from: dmtaylor on June 28, 2010, 08:54:29 PM ---And then the pH won't be low enough so add some of that pH 5.2 stuff.

--- End quote ---

Be aware that, in spite of what they advertise, the concensus is that the 5.2 Buffer stuff won't do much of anything to lower your pH.  It's a buffer which means that it resists changes in pH - which is good once you get your pH into the 5.2 range.  If your pH is way off, 5.2 buffer won't get it there, though.

dmtaylor:
The consensus?  Really?  I hadn't heard about this yet.  I guess I've been using the pH 5.2 stuff for nothing then.  Although, it seems to work for me -- at least, it's better than when I don't use it.  I don't test pH in every batch, but I did for a couple of years, and it appeared to get me into the right range.  Maybe it's a gimmick, or a placebo??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version