Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Water Question  (Read 860 times)

Offline desi

• 1st Kit
Water Question
« on: May 16, 2016, 10:42:31 am »
Hello all.  I'm not starting to think about water in my all grain brewing process.  I do not have a good handle on my water profile (I have city water in CT).  I'm fixing that but in the mean time I have this question.....

I was thinking of starting off with a commercial spring water (ex: Poland Spring) and adding gypsum and calcium chloride as needed depending on beer that I'm brewing.  My thinking is this, at least a Poland Spring type water, I can start from a baseline of 'clean' water and build up from there.

thoughts?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Water Question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:47:49 am »
Spring water can vary in its mineral content from company to company (even the same company's spring water will vary). I (and many others here) build water from scratch using RO (reverse osmosis) water that you buy from the machine in grocery stores. I recommend downloading Brunwater software, which will help you control your pH which is critical, as well as keeping track of water salt additions for flavor. 
Jon H.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 11:26:19 am »
Can you get a water report from your city?  If not, you can send a sample out to Ward Labs (the W-6 option) and get a detailed water report emailed to you.

I have community well water in NH and send out to Ward Labs every year, then use Bru'N'Water to adjust my minerals and PH.  I find my water is well suited for most ales, but for some lighter lagers, I tend to used distilled water and build up.

https://producers.wardlab.com/default.aspx

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline desi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 01:47:03 pm »
thanks for the info everyone.