Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Attenuation question  (Read 6879 times)

Big Monk

Re: Attenuation question
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 07:24:31 pm »
Are you using dark malt extract?  That could be an issue.

When I use extract, I use Breiss Pilsen DME.  It's the lightest and most fermentable extract I have encountered.  To make a stout, I simply use all the dark grains you would normally use to get the color I want.

I've had no issues with attenuation with Breiss Pilsen DME.
Interesting - i usually use their Pale extract which does seem too dark. 8°L if I remember correctly

If you look at the spec sheets for the Briess DME, you'll see that for a fixed volume, the color goes up with gravity. For example, for their Pale Ale and Golden Light extracts, the colornin °L is 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 for 1.020, 1.030, 1.040, 1.050, and 1.060 respectively.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 07:25:12 pm »
Yes, this is your problem:

- I brew using Briess liquid extract

Try dry malt extract instead.

Thanks! Why is DME more fermentable?

DME isn’t more fermentable than LME.  It’s just less twangy, i.e., doesn’t stale as easily.

I was also under the (mistaken?) assumption that your darker beers had lower attenuation because in fact darker extracts are less fermentable than lighter ones, as others mentioned as well.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:26:54 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jc24

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 06:13:29 am »
Thanks for the help on this everyone - switching to Briess Extra Light DME seems to have done the trick. Just finished fermenting a Red Ale and it finished up at 1.010 (I did have 7% dextrose). Happy days!

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 10:49:16 pm »
Good tips on sheet posted.  A side note on the item "Why do all my beers taste the same?"  That could be from too many types of specialty malts too. 

For attenuation make sure you are making temperature corrections  when reading the hydrometer.
Brian
mobrewer