Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Homebrewer looking for the right starter kit  (Read 2451 times)

Offline bschold

• 1st Kit
New Homebrewer looking for the right starter kit
« on: June 25, 2010, 12:53:37 pm »
I am a big fan of microbrews and now would like to create some of my own as a homebrewer.  I am just not sure where to start equipment-wise as there are so many beginner kit choices out there.  Has anyone heard of or used the kits made by the Brooklyn Brew Shop?

Offline brewstev

• Steve Parr
  • 1st Kit
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Re: New Homebrewer looking for the right starter kit
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:07:43 pm »
I'm still fairly new to homebrewing (5 months and 5 batches) and I was given the Northern Brewer Deluxe Starter Kit because I liked the idea of having 2 carboys in case I wanted to do some stronger beers and it came with starter equipment plus anything I would need to get more advanced. It has worked great for me so far. However, if you are not looking to spend much they have a basic starter kit for about $75. You can also look to see if you have a local homebrew shop that sells equipment and I am sure they would be glad to help you out with getting started.
Assistant Director
American Homebrewers Association

Offline hoptomation

• 1st Kit
  • NW Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 04:29:32 pm »
I'd recommend checking over this review as a decent starting point for equipment kits.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=2583.0
Cheers - Luke

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 07:21:46 am »
You can pick up a good starter kit from either your local homebrew shop or an online retail like www.morebeer.com or www.northernbrewer.com.

I'd highly recommend picking up a good homebrewing book as well. John Palmer's "How to Brew" is a great book to start with and wilol apprize you of everything you will need to get started.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 12:45:26 pm »
bschold-

Jump on in!!

This is the minimum you will need to produce a batch of beer in your kitchen. I recommend this route for an absolute beginner because it's cheap and easy and a small commitment in equipment.

From the homebrew shop or online:
  • Hydrometer $6
  • Red-Baron bottle-capper $18.50
  • Caps $3-4
  • Autosiphon $8-10 (optional but will make life easier)

From the Lowes or Home Depot:
  • Two five gallon buckets and lids $7
  • Some flexible tubing 5-6'  $1.25

About $40-50 or so depending on taxes and whatnot.

You'll need a pot that'll hold at least 12 quarts but bigger is better. Eight quarts is possible but ill-advised.

Lastly, a copy of John Palmer's How To Brew is invaluable; however, his site contains everything you need to know: http://www.howtobrew.com/

But you might like this from Northern Brewer: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/starter-kits/basic-starter-kit.html

The only reason I would buy NB's kit is the buckets are bigger and one is pre-drilled with a spigot, but you don't need that with the autosiphon. And the brush, fermentation lock and bottle washer aren't needed either.

Good luck and RDWHAHB! ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 07:20:16 pm »
Or find a local club.  There's frequently somebody that is willing to take a newbie under their wing and loan equipment to them, until they are so hooked on the hobby that purchasing equipment is more important than feeding the children.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 08:17:40 pm »
First get "How to Brew" to help you decide just what it is that you want in a starter kit based on what you decide you want to do.  What worked for me as the best next step is Craigslist.  There seems to be a constant flux of folks either getting out of the hobby or moving up.  In both cases, they often have a nice collection of starter equipment to offer.
Joe

Offline bschold

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 10:30:29 am »
Thanks all for the great advice.  Looks like the next step is to buy the book and look into all the starter kits/websites that were recommended.  I'll let you all know what I bought and how the first batch comes out! :)