Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 131894 times)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #225 on: July 29, 2016, 08:16:23 am »
Way too early to declare anything so it's not remotely even a data point, but my O-fest (first beer brewed with Brewtan) is 3 days shy of a month old. It's pretty clear (not quite brilliant), has a rich, malty nose and flavor, more than I recall in any O-fest I've brewed at this age. The improved clarity at very least seems improved, as does overall malt character. I'll post pics soon and final impressions but I'm definitely encouraged, enough to order some more Brewtan and wait 3 weeks. Can't wait to keg the North German Pils (Brewtan #2) tomorrow and get it carbed up.

Sweet!  Thanks for the update.  So was your process essentially the same plus the brewtan or did you fool with some LODO techniques as well?  Interested in your NGP report.  I am beginning to form an opinion that Brewtan is best tool for malty styles and Polyclar for hoppy...   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2016, 08:26:13 am »
Way too early to declare anything so it's not remotely even a data point, but my O-fest (first beer brewed with Brewtan) is 3 days shy of a month old. It's pretty clear (not quite brilliant), has a rich, malty nose and flavor, more than I recall in any O-fest I've brewed at this age. The improved clarity at very least seems improved, as does overall malt character. I'll post pics soon and final impressions but I'm definitely encouraged, enough to order some more Brewtan and wait 3 weeks. Can't wait to keg the North German Pils (Brewtan #2) tomorrow and get it carbed up.

Sweet!  Thanks for the update.  So was your process essentially the same plus the brewtan or did you fool with some LODO techniques as well?  Interested in your NGP report.  I am beginning to form an opinion that Brewtan is best tool for malty styles and Polyclar for hoppy...   

No, I kept my process otherwise the same. I feel that if you change too many variables at once and it's tough to assign cause and effect with any real accuracy. It seems to enhance malt character as you say, but since I'm kegging this hoppy Pivo style German pils today, I'm interested to see how it fares in a hoppy beer. If Brewtan's main advantage really proves to be in preventing oxidative reactions, then it seems that it would benefit most any beer. We'll see !
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2016, 09:33:12 am »
Denny, when is this "more testing" going to happen? I'm curious, damn it!

As soon as I have time!  I've been on the road the last 2 weeks.  I have a pile of brewing equipment and ingredients that need to be tested.  Being a beer writer is hard work!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #228 on: July 29, 2016, 09:33:52 am »
Will it show up at the LHBS someday?

I hope so.  I intend to work on that.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #229 on: July 29, 2016, 09:50:10 am »
Well, I ordered some up. Looking forward to trying it out! I'd like to go back to just dumping my non-preboiled strike and sparge water into the mash tun. Probably doesn't matter what I'm doing anyway. Got a copper chiller oxidizing the f*ck out of my beer. WINK (argh)
Jesse

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #230 on: July 29, 2016, 10:03:23 am »

Edit -  Jeff, I sure hope so !

Just curious, did you fine the O-fest with gelatin?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2016, 10:08:26 am »

Edit -  Jeff, I sure hope so !

Just curious, did you fine the O-fest with gelatin?

No, I wanted to judge its clarity on its own merits. Considerimg not using gelatin and the beer not being a month old, the clarity is good and will only get better.
Jon H.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2016, 01:39:38 pm »
I just got some. Been looking at the suggested rates, which seems to vary from Wyeast to the manufacturer, even the packaging from Australia.

The package suggests 1.5 grams for a 5 gallon batch, yet when I run the math at 4 grams/hl, I get nearly a half (0.83g) for a standard 5.5 gallon batch. 4 grams/hl is at the high end of the Wyeast recommendation. Anjiomoto's product sheet says to dose based off total batch size, rather than liquor and boil sizes; and provides separate dose suggestions for use in mash and boil.

What dosages have you used?
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2016, 01:53:35 pm »
I used the recommendation Denny got - 1/4 tsp in the mash water, and 1/2 tsp in a slurry added with 15 mins left in the boil.
Jon H.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2016, 02:11:47 pm »
I used the Ajinimoto dosage and converted that into the mass needed for my 6 gal batch size. My mass came close to Matt's number. Based on the small volume of powder, I'd say that the 1/4 & 1/2 tsp amounts are larger than what the Mfr recommends. That might mean that you'd waste more with the tsp measures.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #235 on: July 29, 2016, 03:01:09 pm »
I used the Ajinimoto dosage and converted that into the mass needed for my 6 gal batch size. My mass came close to Matt's number. Based on the small volume of powder, I'd say that the 1/4 & 1/2 tsp amounts are larger than what the Mfr recommends. That might mean that you'd waste more with the tsp measures.

If that's what Joe uses, that's what I'm gonna use.  He not only specializes in the product for the company, we all knoi what his beers are like.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2016, 09:01:25 am »
I noticed that the Ajinimoto docs say to add the second dosage of the brewtan with no more than 5 minutes left in the boil but Denny mentioned that Joe goes with 15 minutes left.  I do wonder about the dosage amounts and the boil time because they differ.  Does anyone think that 15 minutes of boil is going to destroy the brewtan?  I've been in the habit of adding it at between 10 and 15 minutes left in the boil.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2016, 10:12:52 am »
I noticed that the Ajinimoto docs say to add the second dosage of the brewtan with no more than 5 minutes left in the boil but Denny mentioned that Joe goes with 15 minutes left.  I do wonder about the dosage amounts and the boil time because they differ.  Does anyone think that 15 minutes of boil is going to destroy the brewtan?  I've been in the habit of adding it at between 10 and 15 minutes left in the boil.

I think that it's simply not that big a deal.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2016, 10:34:17 am »

I think that it's simply not that big a deal.

Yeah, it seems that the big picture is to have the first addition to fight mash oxidation (from splashing, air contact with malt) and the second addition for extra protection for the boil. I'd be curious to see how much different times and amounts actually make a difference.
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2016, 01:29:37 pm »
I posted this on another board and thought I would mention it here too... aside from the other changes I have made in my process (ss chiller instead of copper, larger mash volume and smaller sparge volume and conditioning my malt prior to milling), I have also been skipping the secondary.  For years I have gone primary -> secondary -> keg and it was an open transfer into a non-purged Better Bottle.  I now have the ability to purge a Better Bottle in case I ever have to use one but I suppose going from primary to a purged keg could have an impact on better beer as well.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.