Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 131864 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2016, 10:13:43 am »
FWIW, we have an interview with Joe Formanek scheduled for the podcast.  Should hit the air around mid Oct.

Good. I'd be curious to get his take on Brewtan needing to be used in already lodo conditions. Sure doesn't seem to be the case to me. :)
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2016, 10:32:41 am »
If you have questions you'd like us to ask him, please email them to podcast@experimentalbrew.com  Put JOE in the subject line.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2016, 11:48:47 am »
I'm still hoping to see if its purported ability to coagulate and flocc proline containing proteins results in less chill haze and time to clear.

My first brewtan batch was a dry hopped pale ale that was consumed quickly so it wasn't a good test, but I currently have a Saison carbonating and a Belgian Strong Golden fermenting.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2016, 01:21:51 pm »

Not to mention the number of German breweries using copper

Don't forget that there are plenty of German beers that don't travel well. I'm a proponent of having some copper in your system. I just don't know how much is too much or if there is such a condition. I have recently been reducing the amount of copper in my equipment since I had a lot.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #304 on: September 10, 2016, 02:24:36 pm »

Not to mention the number of German breweries using copper

Don't forget that there are plenty of German beers that don't travel well. I'm a proponent of having some copper in your system. I just don't know how much is too much or if there is such a condition. I have recently been reducing the amount of copper in my equipment since I had a lot.

The other question is "is there such a thing as too much".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #305 on: September 10, 2016, 04:15:20 pm »
Will be kegging my very first Brewtan beer tomorrow (Helles Exportbier). I feel like a first time brewer. Looking forward to picking up on any differences as this is a recipe I have recently brewed without it and know what it tastes/smells like normally.

The Beerery

« Reply #306 on: September 11, 2016, 06:37:11 am »
I look forward to all the triple blind tests from everyone claiming brewtan is helping. I would hate for it to be cognitive bias!  ;)

Another tip. Look at any German Macro system... Bitburger, Paulaner, Spaten, HB, et all. You won't find so much as a trace of copper there. We all know small regional breweries rarely have the proper flavor(old traditional systems full of copper). The macros also just so happen to have the most IT.. Coincidence?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:53:46 am by The Beerery »

narvin

« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2016, 07:02:18 am »
So, your idea of IT is only German Macro lager?  Have you even been to Germany?

The Beerery

Brewtan B
« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2016, 07:13:05 am »
Nope it's elsewhere. I just cited those for example. Stop losing sight of the forest for the trees.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:25:26 am by The Beerery »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2016, 07:46:59 am »
Maybe it comes from transatlantic shipment.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2016, 07:58:15 am »
I'm a believer in trying to reduce O2 contact where feasible and reasonable. But it's kind of ironic that hopfenundmalz is IN Germany and just raved about (among others) a small family brewery with a copper laden system that makes an amazing, award winning Dunkel. Maybe he and the Germans have poor palates. 
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2016, 08:31:36 am »
I'm a believer in trying to reduce O2 contact where feasible and reasonable. But it's kind of ironic that hopfenundmalz is IN Germany and just raved about (among others) a small family brewery with a copper laden system that makes an amazing, award winning Dunkel. Maybe he and the Germans have poor palates.
The two kettles are Stainless, the chains on the stiring arms that drag the bottom are copper, a big one followed by a small one. He mainly makes a Dunkel.

We spent two nights in Petting, and toured Schönram. That is a very highly automated modern system, all SS. There was a water treatment plant, and what I got from the guide (seemed to be a retired Brewer), was that the water was de-aerated. This is a packaging brewery, so they will use de-aerated water for the bottling line, the boiler, and the brewing. The mash came in though the top into the mash tun, a you could see it through a sight glass no idea it they were mixing under N2. They were filling and mixing the mash ton, while a boil was underway - so no decoction. The guide talked a lot about the different temps in the step mash. The pellet hops had been added to what looked like 3 hop backs, but these were plumbed in a loops to the kettle, and it sounded like the wort was recirculated through them in 3 timed additions. They had a big whirlpool and chiller. A flotation tank was noted on the CIP manifold. Fermentation was all open. Lagering tanks had spunding valves.

The Helles, Zwickel, and Pils from Schönram were very clean.

After that we went to Traunstein, hope to tour the Hofbäu Traunstein brewery tomorrow.

I am in Munich Tuesday and Wed. Weihenstephaner was booked 2 months ago - it is just before Oktoberfest. Will see if there have been cancilations. Hope to hit the English tour at Ayinger on Wed.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2016, 09:43:46 am »
Awesome.  Sounds like you are having a blast. Hope you are taking lots of pics!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2016, 09:53:17 am »
+1. Sounds like a bucket list trip to me. Hope there's a cancellation so you can get into Oktoberfest. Definitely love to see some pics.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2016, 12:02:10 pm »
+1. Sounds like a bucket list trip to me. Hope there's a cancellation so you can get into Oktoberfest. Definitely love to see some pics.

The cancellation was for Weihenstephaners tour, shortly before Oktoberfest begins. We fly out on Thursday. Oktoberfest starts on Saturday. We were there once, that was enough for us.

This trip has been some old favorites, some new around Bamberg, and a lot of new places in Oberbayern.

We used to live in Germany. We get back often. Last Nov-Dec we were here for 3 weeks. The weather was crap, but the Christmas markets were wonderful. Now the weather is outstanding, and there are warm weather activities to take part of.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!