Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 133208 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2016, 12:09:28 pm »
+1. Sounds like a bucket list trip to me. Hope there's a cancellation so you can get into Oktoberfest. Definitely love to see some pics.

The cancellation was for Weihenstephaners tour, shortly before Oktoberfest begins. We fly out on Thursday. Oktoberfest starts on Saturday. We were there once, that was enough for us.

This trip has been some old favorites, some new around Bamberg, and a lot of new places in Oberbayern.

We used to live in Germany. We get back often. Last Nov-Dec we were here for 3 weeks. The weather was crap, but the Christmas markets were wonderful. Now the weather is outstanding, and there are warm weather activities to take part of.

Ok, gotcha. Regardless, sounds pretty amazing!
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #316 on: September 11, 2016, 01:49:02 pm »
Does anyone have any large scale blind triangle tests planned? 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2016, 02:55:44 pm »
Does anyone have any large scale blind triangle tests planned?

I do..but don't ask me when!  Actually, I want to try to get samples for the EB IGORs and get at least 4 trials besides my own.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2016, 03:29:51 pm »
I do..but don't ask me when! 

Same here. It'll get done @ some point, hopefully soon.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #319 on: September 12, 2016, 02:18:14 pm »
For what it's worth, I tapped a Saison yesterday which was chilled with a new stainless chiller, and it does not have any sulphur issues (no SMB in this batch though).

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #320 on: September 12, 2016, 02:50:20 pm »
For what it's worth, I tapped a Saison yesterday which was chilled with a new stainless chiller, and it does not have any sulphur issues (no SMB in this batch though).

Why would you expect it to have sulfur issues?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #321 on: September 12, 2016, 03:43:11 pm »

I didn't, but others have raised it as a concern when removing all copper from a system. 

I also read the GBF regularly, and some people there have had issues with sulfur, though it is mostly (or maybe only) in the context of brewing ales with the lodo techniques (no copper, SMB, etc.).

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #322 on: September 12, 2016, 04:09:21 pm »
So is there such thing as a Stainless CFC?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #323 on: September 12, 2016, 04:18:28 pm »

Denny, Martin posted a few times on how contact with copper (ie, an IC) reduces excess sulfur levels in beer. A couple months back, homoeccentricus read the GBF paper and bought a SS chiller - he reported high levels of sulfur in his beers after using it. Gonna keep using my copper IC.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #324 on: September 12, 2016, 04:51:30 pm »

Denny, Martin posted a few times on how contact with copper (ie, an IC) reduces excess sulfur levels in beer. A couple months back, homoeccentricus read the GBF paper and bought a SS chiller - he reported high levels of sulfur in his beers after using it. Gonna keep using my copper IC.

Yes, but isn't the higher sulfur levels with respect to lagers mostly?  Including homoeccentricus who (IIRC) was reporting on a lager that he had brewed. I could be wrong here, though.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #325 on: September 12, 2016, 05:01:43 pm »

Yes, but isn't the higher sulfur levels with respect to lagers mostly?  Including homoeccentricus who (IIRC) was reporting on a lager that he had brewed. I could be wrong here, though.

I'm sure more so with lagers, no doubt. And I know that Narcout was talking about a saison. I was just answering to Denny's question about copper and sulfur. I'm gonna stick with my copper IC and the (hopefully accurate) chelating effects of Brewtan.
Jon H.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #326 on: September 12, 2016, 07:08:55 pm »
Copper deficiency is more likely to strike in areas of the world with low endogenous copper in their water supply or they are using RO or DI for brewing. There have been many cases where sulfurous aroma is rapidly eliminated by allowing wort or beer to contact elemental copper. So having a low level of copper in your brewing water is a good thing. Its when its excessive that I can see this Fenton's reaction having a negative effect on beer.

I see that there are simple water test kits for copper content. I wish I knew what levels are appropriate or excessive. Sounds like this is a task for a brewer that used to have sulfur problems and has added some copper to their system to resolve it. A test of the raw water and a test of water or wort from their system, might give us some insight. Who in the forum has this condition?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #327 on: September 13, 2016, 09:36:01 am »

Yeah, that I'm aware of.  But that assumes you have a sulfur issue to be dealt with.  I need to see more testing before I can accept that using an SS in and of itself increases sulfur.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #328 on: September 13, 2016, 09:59:33 am »

Yeah, that I'm aware of.  But that assumes you have a sulfur issue to be dealt with.  I need to see more testing before I can accept that using an SS in and of itself increases sulfur.

I just wondered more about the lack of sulfur contact as opposed to the SS IC itself causing sulfur, Denny. For me, I'm sticking with my copper IC regardless.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #329 on: September 13, 2016, 10:06:57 am »

I just wondered more about the lack of sulfur contact as opposed to the SS IC itself causing sulfur, Denny. For me, I'm sticking with my copper IC regardless.

I actually have 4 copper chillers around at the moment...3 IC and a CFC.  Obviously I'm not changing!

www.dennybrew.com