Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 132972 times)

narvin

Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #405 on: September 21, 2016, 12:21:23 pm »
Well good for you. Why are you participating in this conversation then? You should be brewing beer professionally that tastes legions better than any American craft beer. Because this fresh lingering grain flavor/aroma is not present in any American craft beer that I've had.
But we've already been over this. Not going through it all again.

I have no desire to brew commercially.  Never have.
Well, I don't blame you there. Just saying, that if you really think you have IT in your beers, you'd be number one in the country. No American craft beer has it that I've tasted. Anyway...

Not enough copper  ;)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #406 on: September 21, 2016, 12:35:16 pm »
Silly question about handling of this product. I ordered a 50g packet a little less than 3 weeks ago and it has not been delivered yet, so no immediate concerns. When it does come in, how do I store it, especially after opening the packet? I would guess that there will be handling instructions somewhere on the packaging, just curious as I anxiously await delivery. I know Denny and Jon have some already, what are you doing to store it?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #407 on: September 21, 2016, 12:47:37 pm »
Silly question about handling of this product. I ordered a 50g packet a little less than 3 weeks ago and it has not been delivered yet, so no immediate concerns. When it does come in, how do I store it, especially after opening the packet? I would guess that there will be handling instructions somewhere on the packaging, just curious as I anxiously await delivery. I know Denny and Jon have some already, what are you doing to store it?

Since it didn't mention any special storage instructions on the package, I put it in a Ziploc and stored it in the kitchen cupboard with my water salts. If it's been 3 weeks you might email them. I emailed at 3 weeks and found out that the order was considered lost. They mailed another package that day and I had it in 2 weeks. Good luck.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #408 on: September 21, 2016, 12:49:19 pm »

I keep it in the fridge, although I have no idea if it was necessary.  I just got a shipment for the EB experiment and it wasn't refrigerated and didn't have any storage instructions.  I'd guess that's becasue you don't need to do anything special.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

« Reply #409 on: September 21, 2016, 12:50:16 pm »
Thanks Jon, haven't quite reached 3 weeks(17 days including weekends) so I am not concerned yet and have not brewed since ordering so I will give it another couple days before emailing them. Good to know on just sealing up in the cupboard. Thanks Denny. How long did your order take to arrive that you just received?
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #410 on: September 21, 2016, 12:58:02 pm »
I have mine stored in a mason jar in my cupboard. Doesn't seem to need any particular special storage, just cool and dry I'd assume? Or just dry...not sure it matters.
Jesse

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #411 on: September 21, 2016, 12:58:39 pm »
I'd be curious to hear from the manufacturer on the storage issue.  Question for the podcast maybe?

I've been vacuum sealing it for no particular reason.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #412 on: September 21, 2016, 01:12:39 pm »
Well good for you. Why are you participating in this conversation then? You should be brewing beer professionally that tastes legions better than any American craft beer. Because this fresh lingering grain flavor/aroma is not present in any American craft beer that I've had.

Well, I don't blame you there. Just saying, that if you really think you have IT in your beers, you'd be number one in the country. No American craft beer has it that I've tasted. Anyway...

Would that be due to the fact that many use NA malt for at least part of the brew? Check SIerra Nevada's website, even the Oktoberfest has NA 2-row listed first for the malts. I did taste the 2010 WBC gold Pilsner they made in the pilot brewery, that was sublime, not sure if it had IT, but it tasted like an excellent German Pilsner. They can have a free hand with ingredients on one 20 bbl batch than on a production run to fill an 800 bbl (or 1600 bbl in NC) with a 200 bbl brew house.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #413 on: September 21, 2016, 01:45:42 pm »

Would that be due to the fact that many use NA malt for at least part of the brew? Check SIerra Nevada's website, even the Oktoberfest has NA 2-row listed first for the malts. I did taste the 2010 WBC gold Pilsner they made in the pilot brewery, that was sublime, not sure if it had IT, but it tasted like an excellent German Pilsner. They can have a free hand with ingredients on one 20 bbl batch than on a production run to fill an 800 bbl (or 1600 bbl in NC) with a 200 bbl brew house.
Supposedly it doesn't matter what malt you use to get the fresh lingering grain flavor/aroma. SN Oktoberfest is definitely a good beer this year, even though it is rather hoppy. It doesn't have IT, I don't think.
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #414 on: September 21, 2016, 02:00:13 pm »

Supposedly it doesn't matter what malt you use to get the fresh lingering grain flavor/aroma. SN Oktoberfest is definitely a good beer this year, even though it is rather hoppy. It doesn't have IT, I don't think.
They brew with DO water. You can speculate where they don't have it. The brewery in NC is state of the art GEA Huppmann, the bottling line is Krones.

I will ask some questions when I am in NC next month.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

« Reply #415 on: September 21, 2016, 02:25:07 pm »
I'd be curious to hear from the manufacturer on the storage issue.  Question for the podcast maybe?

Other than, like me, you enjoy using the vacuum sealer?
Frank L.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #416 on: September 21, 2016, 02:39:24 pm »

They brew with DO water. You can speculate where they don't have it. The brewery in NC is state of the art GEA Huppmann, the bottling line is Krones.

I will ask some questions when I am in NC next month.

FWIW, I have noticed "IT" in some bottles of this beer. Based on my location I'd guess it came from the Mills River plant.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #417 on: September 21, 2016, 02:50:18 pm »

I vacuum seal it too, because that's how it came.  I keep it stored with my grains.  Hopefully room temp is ok.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #418 on: September 21, 2016, 02:58:28 pm »
Thanks Jon, haven't quite reached 3 weeks(17 days including weekends) so I am not concerned yet and have not brewed since ordering so I will give it another couple days before emailing them. Good to know on just sealing up in the cupboard. Thanks Denny. How long did your order take to arrive that you just received?

Well, it's kinda different...I got them directly from my contact at the company.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #419 on: September 21, 2016, 02:59:09 pm »

I'll definitely ask him.

www.dennybrew.com