Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 132999 times)

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2016, 09:44:21 am »
Recirc/RIMS will put extra PP into solution.  I am confident the levels would be higher than typical.  I would definitely try some polyclar at 10m to KO.  I would not sit on that Helles waiting for it to clear.  A large amount of PP in finished beer combining with O2 is a classic fast staling situation.  Polyclar on cold side should clear that Helles in a snap.
You don't think it will clear up with a long lager time? I saved out a quart jar of this for a fast ferment test, waiting to see if that clears up and tastes before I consider this batch a dumper.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2016, 10:53:12 am »
Recirc/RIMS will put extra PP into solution.  I am confident the levels would be higher than typical.  I would definitely try some polyclar at 10m to KO.  I would not sit on that Helles waiting for it to clear.  A large amount of PP in finished beer combining with O2 is a classic fast staling situation.  Polyclar on cold side should clear that Helles in a snap.

Interesting. 

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2016, 02:24:50 pm »
I think it might clear up but the flavor will fade at same time.  Definitely use the FF test to benchmark.  Highly doubt it's a dumper tho.  I would either drink hazy or hit it with polyclar.     

Note sure if anyone put this together yet, but Brewtan is definitely not be a good choice for IPA/hop heavy stuff as they will be loaded with PP from the hops.
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2016, 02:29:36 pm »
Brewed a batch of Helles the other day with Brewtan B in the mash and end of boil. My run off looked like cloudy orange juice, usually it runs crystal clear.

Interesting.  I just had the clearest runoff I can ever recall using it on a batch of Rye IPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2016, 02:34:04 pm »
Brewed a batch of Helles the other day with Brewtan B in the mash and end of boil. My run off looked like cloudy orange juice, usually it runs crystal clear.

Interesting.  I just had the clearest runoff I can ever recall using it on a batch of Rye IPA.
Yes, I remember reading that, that's why I was curious why mine was so hazy. Could be different applications for different setups?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2016, 02:36:29 pm »

Yes, I remember reading that, that's why I was curious why mine was so hazy. Could be different applications for different setups?

Dunno.  I know the Big mega breweries use it and their setups are pretty sophisticated.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2016, 02:37:37 pm »

Perhaps BUT rye malt is higher protein so makes sense to me. 

Remember all the brewing lit we read is basically BMC which uses adjuncts/higher protein. 

MAN I am having worst time losing posts today... 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2016, 02:49:31 pm »
Next batch I'll probably just try it in the mash and not the end of the boil. My mash wort was crystal clear.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2016, 08:31:58 am »
Alright, fine guys. You got me. I broke down and ordered Brewtan B.  ;D

Must experiment!

Question: the recirc on the Zymatic, I'm gathering that would be an issue here. Is this what I need to grab a few parts and build me that second brewery?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 09:29:03 am »

Must experiment!

Question: the recirc on the Zymatic, I'm gathering that would be an issue here. Is this what I need to grab a few parts and build me that second brewery?
You were missed in Baltimore.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 09:38:24 am »

Must experiment!

You were missed in Baltimore.

Indeed you were.  People kept asking about you.

As to Brewtan and the Z, you should contact Annie.  I got the Picobrew people together with Joe Formanek to talk about Brewtan, so they're aware of it and experimenting with it.

www.dennybrew.com

narvin

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 10:50:50 am »

Must experiment!

Where did you order it from?  I couldn't find any US homebrew shops that sell it in small quantities.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2016, 11:09:20 am »

Must experiment!

Where did you order it from?  I couldn't find any US homebrew shops that sell it in small quantities.

I recommend not ordering it from ibrew.com . I knew ordering from Australia could be dicey due to the distance  - and it is. But they sell in smaller (homebrewing) quantities. I emailed them after 3 weeks and no product. They apologized and shipped some more. 2 weeks later, nothing. They said it should take 7-10 days from there. Gonna ask for a refund. Luckily I didn't spend much on it. Hopefully U.S. retailers are gonna get on board with smaller quantities fairly soon.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:17:00 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2016, 11:27:13 am »

Must experiment!

I recommend not ordering it from ibrew.com . I knew ordering from Australia could be dicey due to the distance  - and it is. But they sell in smaller (homebrewing) quantities. I emailed them after 3 weeks and no product. They apologized and shipped some more. 2 weeks later, nothing. They said it should take 7-10 days from there. Gonna ask for a refund. Luckily I didn't spend much on it. Hopefully U.S. retailers are gonna get on board with smaller quantities fairly soon.
I ordered 50g from them and received it in 3 weeks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2016, 11:32:34 am »

Must experiment!

I ordered 50g from them and received it in 3 weeks

Glad to hear somebody is getting it. I'll wait a few more days then see if they'll ship again. I'd really like to try it out.
Jon H.