Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 133261 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #450 on: September 23, 2016, 06:04:46 am »
Some were asking about storage
Per wyeast -
Stability:   1 year, stored in airtight container in cool environment

Yep, can't hurt.  And after all of my protestations, I tokk the extraordinary measure of actually contacting Joe to get usage info..surprise, surprise, I was wrong...again....here's what he said...

I add 1/4 tsp per 5 gal of strike and sparge water, and 1/2 tsp as a slurry 15-16 min before the end of the boil. If you like using the Irish moss for 15, then add it 1 min before that.

So it is water volume based, not batch volume.  And it does indeed go in the sparge, too.

Do the kettle finings go in before or after the Brewtan B?

Brewtan first then finings.  I had not read this thread in a couple months, but I am encouraged about the Brewtan-B and continuing some of the lodo process - but I am not going to obsess about it.  Like I mentioned in another thread, the bronze medal International Beer Cup winner was from Crystal Lake, IL.  They don't do anything special - but they suggest drinking it very fresh.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #451 on: September 23, 2016, 02:22:04 pm »
Some were asking about storage
Per wyeast -
Stability:   1 year, stored in airtight container in cool environment

Yep, can't hurt.  And after all of my protestations, I tokk the extraordinary measure of actually contacting Joe to get usage info..surprise, surprise, I was wrong...again....here's what he said...

I add 1/4 tsp per 5 gal of strike and sparge water, and 1/2 tsp as a slurry 15-16 min before the end of the boil. If you like using the Irish moss for 15, then add it 1 min before that.

So it is water volume based, not batch volume.  And it does indeed go in the sparge, too.

Do the kettle finings go in before or after the Brewtan B?

Brewtan first then finings.  I had not read this thread in a couple months, but I am encouraged about the Brewtan-B and continuing some of the lodo process - but I am not going to obsess about it.  Like I mentioned in another thread, the bronze medal International Beer Cup winner was from Crystal Lake, IL.  They don't do anything special - but they suggest drinking it very fresh.

Thanks.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #452 on: September 23, 2016, 03:31:54 pm »
I meant to say that the bronze was for a German Helles and it was up against German breweries, as well as others.  Nice to see a little American brewery come out ahead using standard American processes in what is clearly a German-centric matter as discussed in this thread.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

RPIScotty

« Reply #453 on: September 24, 2016, 10:01:27 pm »
Didn't RPIscotty brew mostly Belgian beers? If he's gone whole-LODO he'd be a good source on that info.

While I'm not going LODO, (it's hard enough brewing in my house as it is) I'm becoming sold on the spunding idea. Seems the Brits have been basically doing the same thing in a way, transferring to the cask before the primary fermentation has completely finished. Granted, they do add wort/sugar to prime the keg at this point, but the still-active yeast should be doing much to scrub O2. It'd be interesting to see how well this would work compared to trying to transfer to a purged keg.

Warren Buffett says it best:

"There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult."

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #454 on: September 29, 2016, 09:57:26 pm »
Apparently I have somehow been entirely ignorant and perhaps noticeably absent regarding all this talk about deoxygenated water and Brewtan, etc.

Until today.  Today I wasted hours reading up on all this sh!t.  And that is my tentative conclusion: it is sh!t.

The pseudo science and recommended practice of a 30 minute protein rest killed it for me, not to mention that a friend of mine can achieve "it" with a single infusion and nothing special other than using continental malt, hops, and the right yeast.

Yes, I know what "it" is, and I love and crave "it".  I think maybe I even can get close to "it" in my own beers.  However this all also leads me to believe that there's little if any need to futz with this secretive fake sciency LODO and Brewtan stuff.

I will let you guys run these experiments while I continue to play with "regular" decoction and efficiency.  Results coming soon/eventually on my triangles.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:00:14 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #455 on: September 30, 2016, 07:41:05 am »
30 min protien rest?

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #456 on: September 30, 2016, 07:54:41 am »
Apparently I have somehow been entirely ignorant and perhaps noticeably absent regarding all this talk about deoxygenated water and Brewtan, etc.

Until today.  Today I wasted hours reading up on all this sh!t.  And that is my tentative conclusion: it is sh!t.

The pseudo science and recommended practice of a 30 minute protein rest killed it for me, not to mention that a friend of mine can achieve "it" with a single infusion and nothing special other than using continental malt, hops, and the right yeast.

Yes, I know what "it" is, and I love and crave "it".  I think maybe I even can get close to "it" in my own beers.  However this all also leads me to believe that there's little if any need to futz with this secretive fake sciency LODO and Brewtan stuff.

I will let you guys run these experiments while I continue to play with "regular" decoction and efficiency.  Results coming soon/eventually on my triangles.
Sorry man, but nobody here is going to believe that you know what "it" is or that your friend can make "it" without research papers, backup data and triangle test.
On a different note, 30 min protein rest.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #457 on: September 30, 2016, 08:44:25 am »
Sorry man, but nobody here is going to believe that you know what "it" is or that your friend can make "it" without research papers, backup data and triangle test.

What if he types up his conclusions in a manner that makes it look like it was published in a peer-reviewed journal and insists he has data but doesn't publish it? Or does he need vague cites to actual research for the trifecta?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #458 on: September 30, 2016, 08:47:54 am »

What if he types up his conclusions in a manner that makes it look like it was published in a peer-reviewed journal and insists he has data but doesn't publish it? Or does he need vague cites to actual research for the trifecta?
I think we have already seen that's not enough.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #459 on: September 30, 2016, 08:50:30 am »
What if he grows a sweet beard with a handlebar mustache?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #460 on: September 30, 2016, 08:58:18 am »

That would be it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2016, 09:01:08 am »
Couldn't hurt

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #462 on: September 30, 2016, 09:19:35 am »

As long as he didn't try to spontaneously ferment said "it" beer with beard yeast.  :P

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #463 on: September 30, 2016, 09:22:15 am »

One of my observations during my recent trip to Germany, is that there has been an large outbreak of manbuns.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #464 on: September 30, 2016, 09:23:43 am »
One of my observations during my recent trip to Germany, is that there has been an large outbreak of manbuns.
Well that sucks.