Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 131910 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #465 on: September 30, 2016, 09:25:13 am »
What if he grows a sweet beard with a handlebar mustache?

One of my observations during my recent trip to Germany, is that there has been an large outbreak of manbuns.

A couple of really unfortunate looks. Handlebar 'stache and/or manbun = D-bag. Period.  :)
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #466 on: September 30, 2016, 09:25:43 am »
One of my observations during my recent trip to Germany, is that there has been an large outbreak of manbuns.
Well that sucks.
Yeah, don't remember any on last falls trip. That trend was fast.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #467 on: September 30, 2016, 09:26:50 am »
This guy is smiling because he knows what it is.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #468 on: September 30, 2016, 09:47:49 am »
This guy is smiling because he knows what it is.

Was this shot from the world beard championships? They actually had a short lived TV show based on that championship, ridiculous
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #469 on: September 30, 2016, 09:59:06 am »
Apparently I have somehow been entirely ignorant and perhaps noticeably absent regarding all this talk about deoxygenated water and Brewtan, etc.

Until today.  Today I wasted hours reading up on all this sh!t.  And that is my tentative conclusion: it is sh!t.

The pseudo science and recommended practice of a 30 minute protein rest killed it for me, not to mention that a friend of mine can achieve "it" with a single infusion and nothing special other than using continental malt, hops, and the right yeast.

Yes, I know what "it" is, and I love and crave "it".  I think maybe I even can get close to "it" in my own beers.  However this all also leads me to believe that there's little if any need to futz with this secretive fake sciency LODO and Brewtan stuff.

I will let you guys run these experiments while I continue to play with "regular" decoction and efficiency.  Results coming soon/eventually on my triangles.

Dave, I'm 99% certain Brewtan improved my beers with minimal effort.  That's why we have 15 brewers lined up to do an experiment with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #470 on: September 30, 2016, 10:02:18 am »
Dave, I'm 99% certain Brewtan improved my beers with minimal effort.  That's why we have 15 brewers lined up to do an experiment with it.

Same here.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:04:17 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #471 on: September 30, 2016, 10:14:18 am »

Wow.  Alright then, maybe I should be more open minded, like the Germans.   :o

I guess I posted in the wrong thread.  I'll copy and repost in the other one.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #472 on: September 30, 2016, 10:15:32 am »
Or wait until the experiment is concluded to see if it's all just confirmation bias and magic fairy dust.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #473 on: September 30, 2016, 10:28:08 am »
Or wait until the experiment is concluded to see if it's all just confirmation bias and magic fairy dust.

THIS^^^^  Like I said in the last podcast, I've actually been wrong before....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #474 on: September 30, 2016, 10:42:00 am »

I'm looking forward to the results, regardless. I haven't done my double batch yet (hoping to do it fairly soon, an APA with some of Ted H's hops) to see what people notice or don't. I notice improvement but that's anecdotal at this point. I've been wrong before.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #475 on: September 30, 2016, 10:45:42 am »

I'm looking forward to the results, regardless. I haven't done my double batch yet (hoping to do it fairly soon, an APA with some of Ted H's hops) to see what people notice or don't. I notice improvement but that's anecdotal at this point. I've been wrong before.

The back to back batches I did were markedly different.  But that's only a single test so I'm not drawing any definitive conclusions from it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #476 on: September 30, 2016, 10:58:36 am »

The back to back batches I did were markedly different.  But that's only a single test so I'm not drawing any definitive conclusions from it.

Interesting.  As for shelf life, I bottled a few of the the first two beers I used it on - a German pils and a Marzen. At 3 months old (admittedly not a long time), both seem as fresh as the day I tapped. For reference, I have had average strength lagers that were good but a little past their peak freshness at 3 months. Gonna sample again at 6 months.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #477 on: September 30, 2016, 11:00:23 am »

And wasn't that before dosage rates were correct as well?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #478 on: September 30, 2016, 11:04:44 am »
The beer I'll be testing is a simple blonde with 27ibu at first wort. Clean and malty, nothing to hide or mask possible benefits.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #479 on: September 30, 2016, 11:26:26 am »
And wasn't that before dosage rates were correct as well?

Sure was.  When I mentioned it to Joe he said it ought to help anyway and it seemed to.  We're interviewing him for the podcast in about 3 hours.

www.dennybrew.com