Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 131863 times)

Big Monk

Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #510 on: October 11, 2016, 01:02:34 pm »
Derek,

Rather than rehash the discussion about brewing textbooks, how about a report on your journey?  You've pulled a rather dramatic 180.

What gives?

I only brought up the sources as counterpoint.

My tastes shifted towards German lagers and the next logical step was to reconsider my position on Low O2. That's pretty much it.

Sorry.  Can't let you off that easy.

Were you brewing German lagers previously?  Were the results between the two different methods that dramatic?

What about your Belgian beers?  Have you done those low O2?  Were the results similar?  You previously has a theory (IIRC) that copper might actually be necessary (or was it simply beneficial?) for Belgian beers.  But no copper is allowed over by there where you hang out these days.  Any thoughts?

I don't recall having any theories on copper in Belgians. Other than the copper grant rebuff often used being bunk.

The mini mash proposed by members at the GBF is lowest cost, zero new equipment method for determining whether you're interested.

I personally don't frequent forums much anymore. I did not brew lagers prior to my turnaround but the methods are applicable to all beers.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #511 on: October 11, 2016, 01:07:15 pm »
Maybe my recollection is off.  Never said I wasn't interested, but we'll see.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #512 on: October 11, 2016, 03:42:00 pm »
Back on topic, slightly, Wyeast does sell brewtan, but in large sizes and only commercially.  I'm not sure if this means to any wholesaler or just to breweries.

http://wyeastlab.com/com_b_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=13

I'm thinking about asking my LHBS if they could order this from their distributor, and if they'd be willing to repackage it in smaller amounts.

In the podcast that comes out tomorrow, we interview Joe Formanek extensively about Brewtan.  He hops to have it in the retail market within the year.  I'm also working on that with some people I know.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #513 on: October 11, 2016, 03:44:32 pm »
I'm am not saying brewtan does not work, at all. And I am more than willing to try it myself. See the difference, i am willing to find out on my own. My initial speculation is they will yield different results, but more than willing to try it for myself. Where is everyone getting it anyway?

And I'm not saying LODO doesn't work.  We all know that O2 is one of the enemies of beer.  I'm willing to try Brewtan because it's easy and inexpensive.  I'm not willing to try LODO without some objective confirmation due to the added hassle and the expense of buying new equipment.  Once I see some objective confirmation that the LODO technique is valid, then I'll try it and decide for myself. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #514 on: October 11, 2016, 04:05:23 pm »
And I'm not saying LODO doesn't work.  We all know that O2 is one of the enemies of beer.  I'm willing to try Brewtan because it's easy and inexpensive.

Exactly. I'm an open minded brewer and at some point will try the stated lodo technique. But Brewtan is cheap and very easy to use. My biggest obstacle to trying the lodo process is far from stubbornness - it's the clearly stated "its all or nothing, doing it 100% right is the only way to notice a difference" part. A stark contrast to using Brewtan. But being a brewer who wants to make the best beer possible, I'll undoubtedly give it a shot. Can't wait for the podcast, Denny!
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #515 on: October 11, 2016, 04:06:23 pm »
Back on topic, slightly, Wyeast does sell brewtan, but in large sizes and only commercially.  I'm not sure if this means to any wholesaler or just to breweries.

http://wyeastlab.com/com_b_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=13

I'm thinking about asking my LHBS if they could order this from their distributor, and if they'd be willing to repackage it in smaller amounts.

In the podcast that comes out tomorrow, we interview Joe Formanek extensively about Brewtan.  He hops to have it in the retail market within the year.  I'm also working on that with some people I know.

Can't wait to check it out Denny!  Thanks in advance.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #516 on: October 11, 2016, 04:08:16 pm »
My current equipment limits me from effectively trying low oxygen brewing. I currently use a cooler and a kettle. Dumping from buckets is a requirement for me. I'm not too enthused with the thought of pre-boiling either. Just seems like a wast of energy (fuel/electricity)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #517 on: October 11, 2016, 04:14:36 pm »
Exactly. I'm an open minded brewer and at some point will try the stated lodo technique. But Brewtan is cheap and very easy to use. My biggest obstacle to trying the lodo process is far from stubbornness - it's the clearly stated "its all or nothing, doing it 100% right is the only way to notice a difference" part. A stark contrast to using Brewtan. But being a brewer who wants to make the best beer possible, I'll undoubtedly give it a shot. Can't wait for the podcast, Denny!

I have a hard time believing that there is no incremental improvement from incremental implementation.  I don't have a hard time believing it's beneficial, but all or nothing is a bit over the top.  I don't get enough time to brew to get so anal retentive about it.  I do my best, if I make a mistake I try not to make it next time.  For some, chasing perfection is maybe the fun part.  For me, that takes some of the fun out of it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #518 on: October 11, 2016, 04:17:21 pm »
My current equipment limits me from effectively trying low oxygen brewing. I currently use a cooler and a kettle. Dumping from buckets is a requirement for me. I'm not too enthused with the thought of pre-boiling either. Just seems like a wast of energy (fuel/electricity)

I am with you here as well in thought and equipment restrictions. For now, just brewtan. I did finally tap into my first brewtan batch (helles export) that has lagered for a month. It does seem to have a smoother, more rounded malt profile that seems more integrated with the hops. But with no triangle test (and none planned), I can't make any real conclusions.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #519 on: October 11, 2016, 04:24:43 pm »
I have a hard time believing that there is no incremental improvement from incremental implementation.  I don't have a hard time believing it's beneficial, but all or nothing is a bit over the top.  I don't get enough time to brew to get so anal retentive about it.  I do my best, if I make a mistake I try not to make it next time.  For some, chasing perfection is maybe the fun part.  For me, that takes some of the fun out of it.

I agree- it's my feeling that systematically reducing O2 as best you can has to have benefit. The whole notion of all or nothing (being hard to impossible for most of us) was just a turn off. I guess better phrased would be "I want to make the best beer possible, within reason". Not getting anal and crazy about it. For me, it still needs to be fun.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #520 on: October 11, 2016, 04:45:15 pm »
I agree- it's my feeling that systematically reducing O2 as best you can has to have benefit. The whole notion of all or nothing (being hard to impossible for most of us) was just a turn off. I guess better phrased would be "I want to make the best beer possible, within reason". Not getting anal and crazy about it. For me, it still needs to be fun.

Exactly the way I think of it, too.

www.dennybrew.com

Big Monk

« Reply #521 on: October 11, 2016, 06:31:34 pm »
Well, I hope you guys get what your after with Brewtan.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #522 on: October 11, 2016, 06:40:45 pm »

Gotta ask - are you actually Derek? You're using his avatar, but under a different name for whatever reason, and a COMPLETELY different MO. Derek was all about Trappist beers, and may have been the single biggest critic of the GBF paper here on this forum. Now we are to believe that he took a sabbatical, went into hiding and re-emerged only liking German lagers and is lodo's biggest proponent. I'm not feeling very stupid today unless you can explain better.  ;)

Edit  -  You also didn't answer my question - have you personally used Brewtan ?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:45:07 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #523 on: October 11, 2016, 06:45:37 pm »

Gotta ask - are you actually Derek? You're using his avatar, but under a different name for whatever reason, and a COMPLETELY different MO. Derek was all about Trappist beers, and may have been the single biggest critic of the GBF paper here on this forum. Now we are to believe that he took a sabbatical, went into hiding and re-emerged only liking German lagers and is lodo's biggest proponent. I'm not feeling very stupid today unless you can explain better.  ;)

Yes. And to be clear I'm not advocating anything to anybody. The material is out there.

I just thought it necessary to provide counterpoint to a few dodgy comments over the last few days. Other than that I would not have registered again.

EDIT: I don't recall you asking but since you have now: With my current setup I would have absolutely no reason to have to use it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:08:44 pm by Big Monk »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #524 on: October 11, 2016, 07:28:13 pm »

EDIT: I don't recall you asking but since you have now: With my current setup I would have absolutely no reason to have to use it.

In other words, no more reason to doubt or scoff than people who haven't preboiled and used SMB. This silly, manufactured 'turf war' is beyond me. We all brew beer. I plan to try (to the limits of my system) to use this method. Why wouldn't I? We don't all need to agree, but the forum to forum flame wars are tired. As is the 'my way is the only right way' crap.
Jon H.