Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 133030 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #540 on: October 12, 2016, 11:46:32 am »
Does anyone know the purity of typical welding shop CO2?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #541 on: October 12, 2016, 11:51:09 am »

True, but I can't help and think that breweries are also going to want to set themselves apart from the rest as much as they can. Might not be a bad way to do it.

Remember, it's a business  It's as much or more about selling beer as making beer  A costlier process in terms of energy and labor makes the selling that much more difficult.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #542 on: October 12, 2016, 11:51:49 am »

In terms of...?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #543 on: October 12, 2016, 11:52:41 am »

I doubt it's the two 9s apparently required in the post above.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #544 on: October 12, 2016, 11:54:43 am »
Pretty sure it varies and no welding supply could tell you for sure. Probably in the 98-99% range, which is far less than perfect.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #545 on: October 12, 2016, 11:55:47 am »
Pretty sure it varies and no welding supply could tell you for sure. Probably in the 98-99% range, which is far less than perfect.

Do you have a source for that?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #546 on: October 12, 2016, 12:00:33 pm »
I would guess that local welding supply CO2 not up to snuff according to the previous "nugget" post. Why? As a research chemist, the cost of the gases we use goes up by quite a margin each extra 9 you want to the right of the decimal. Two or three 9s is an order of magnitude (or more) costlier than "98-99%." 98-99% is likely good enough for most welding applications - I doubt they're willing to pay the premium.

The Beerery

« Reply #547 on: October 12, 2016, 12:04:22 pm »
Which is another reason you recapture your own from fermentation (spunding in one form or another, basically pure) and get the best you can for dispensing only(and consume moderately fast). All modern brewhouses will more than likely capture fermentation co2, re-condense it into liquid co2, and use it though out the brewery.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:07:02 pm by The Beerery »

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #548 on: October 12, 2016, 12:06:01 pm »

I work for a auto repair/welding supply Shop and have discussed with our suppliers several times, no one seems to have any real specs. That is the best I can get out of them. I will say that using tank co2 to force carbonation a low oxygen beer will knock out all that low o2 character real fast! So enough o2 to bring a beer above 1ppm DO when force carbed.

The Beerery

« Reply #549 on: October 12, 2016, 12:08:38 pm »

I work for a auto repair/welding supply Shop and have discussed with our suppliers several times, no one seems to have any real specs. That is the best I can get out of them. I will say that using tank co2 to force carbonation a low oxygen beer will knock out all that low o2 character real fast! So enough o2 to bring a beer above 1ppm DO when force carbed.

Thats correct, and now we know from my previous post why that is... The malt phenols are antioxidants, when you use those up, you lose fresh malt flavor.  ;)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #550 on: October 12, 2016, 12:12:58 pm »
This all jives with the British method of carbonating in a cask, even when bottling. Different method from spunding, but should have the same result.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #551 on: October 12, 2016, 12:13:24 pm »
Which is another reason you recapture your own from fermentation (spunding in one form or another, basically pure) and get the best you can for dispensing only(and consume moderately fast). All modern brewhouses will more than likely capture fermentation co2, re-condense it into liquid co2, and use it though out the brewery.

ALL?  Not a single one I deal with regularly does that.  Some might, but as far as I can tell, more don't.

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

« Reply #552 on: October 12, 2016, 12:15:57 pm »

ALL?  Not a single one I deal with regularly does that.  Some might, but as far as I can tell, more don't.

Sorry modern German Macro Brewhouses, plenty of diagrams in Kunze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #553 on: October 12, 2016, 12:16:21 pm »

Thanks, appreciate the info.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #554 on: October 12, 2016, 12:16:44 pm »
Sorry modern German Macro Brewhouses, plenty of diagrams in Kunze.

Thanks.

www.dennybrew.com