Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 132984 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #570 on: October 12, 2016, 01:35:40 pm »
Which is another reason you recapture your own from fermentation (spunding in one form or another, basically pure) and get the best you can for dispensing only(and consume moderately fast). All modern brewhouses will more than likely capture fermentation co2, re-condense it into liquid co2, and use it though out the brewery.

ALL?  Not a single one I deal with regularly does that.  Some might, but as far as I can tell, more don't.
Sierra Nevada captures their CO2 and processes it for the brewery. That's what they said on the brewery tour I was on 3 years ago.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #571 on: October 12, 2016, 01:37:21 pm »
How come writing is so easy when I'm procrastinating at work, but so difficult when I want to do other stuff after work?!

Dude, I feel your pain...I'm working on a book, 2 magazine articles and 3 reviews! 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #572 on: October 12, 2016, 01:39:40 pm »
Which is another reason you recapture your own from fermentation (spunding in one form or another, basically pure) and get the best you can for dispensing only(and consume moderately fast). All modern brewhouses will more than likely capture fermentation co2, re-condense it into liquid co2, and use it though out the brewery.

ALL?  Not a single one I deal with regularly does that.  Some might, but as far as I can tell, more don't.
Sierra Nevada captures their CO2 and processes it for the brewery. That's what they said on the brewery tour I was on 3 years ago.
I thought you "dealt" with them in some way. But nevermind then.
Jesse

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #573 on: October 12, 2016, 01:40:19 pm »
[/quote]
[/quote]
I thought you "dealt" with them in some way. But nevermind then.
[/quote]

Regularly....;)  See I put plenty of qualifiers in there!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

Brewtan B
« Reply #574 on: October 12, 2016, 02:21:51 pm »
Denny pulling off the "depends on what the definition of is is" defense. ;)

narvin

« Reply #575 on: October 12, 2016, 03:47:39 pm »
This all jives with the British method of carbonating in a cask, even when bottling. Different method from spunding, but should have the same result.

Same difference, using pure fermentation co2 to carbonate and keep DO down.

Honest question...is the fermentation CO2 pure?

As pure as it can get.

What does that even mean?  If you're saying that the gasses given off by fermentation are 100% CO2, that false.  That smell coming out of the airlock?  That'ts not CO2.

When breweries capture CO2, I'm pretty sure they also filter it.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #576 on: October 12, 2016, 03:58:48 pm »
This all jives with the British method of carbonating in a cask, even when bottling. Different method from spunding, but should have the same result.

As pure as it can get.

What does that even mean?  If you're saying that the gasses given off by fermentation are 100% CO2, that false.  That smell coming out of the airlock?  That'ts not CO2.

Not a chemist here. But I believe it has more to do with its not oxygen.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #577 on: October 12, 2016, 04:09:47 pm »
Not a chemist here. But I believe it has more to do with its not oxygen.

CO2 is the primary gas produced by fermentation.  However, it is of course far from the only gas emitted.  There's also various sulfur compounds, aromatic esters, alcohols, water vapor, etc.  You are correct -- none of these are oxygen.  The only way to produce oxygen that I know of would be via electrolysis by running an electrical current through the water like a battery, and I seriously doubt any brewer is doing that!  Nevermind the flammable hydrogen gas that would be produced along with it!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

The Beerery

Brewtan B
« Reply #578 on: October 12, 2016, 04:20:25 pm »

As pure as it can get.

Oh Narvin.

You know very well that's not what I meant.   The question was about oxygen in man made co2. So the answer pertains to that....But incase you didn't understand. The o2 content in fermentation co2 is as pure as the best man made co2 can be.... and it's free!

narvin

« Reply #579 on: October 12, 2016, 04:39:34 pm »

As pure as it can get.

Oh Narvin.

You know very well that's not what I meant.   The question was about oxygen in man made co2. So the answer pertains to that....But incase you didn't understand. The o2 content in fermentation co2 is as pure as the best man made co2 can be.... and it's free!

Thanks for clarifying.  I really wasn't sure what you meant. My point, which I think is valid, is that there are plenty of other aromatic compounds produced during fermentation that are off gassed.

The Beerery

« Reply #580 on: October 12, 2016, 04:44:27 pm »
Of course, I don't think anyone is debating that. There are plenty of co2 "recycling" diagrams in Kunze if you care to explore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

narvin

« Reply #581 on: October 12, 2016, 04:46:09 pm »
Of course, I don't think anyone is debating that. There are plenty of co2 "recycling" diagrams in Kunze if you care to explore it.

Well then, I question why you relate that to spunding then since they are two completely different things.

Or perhaps the extra sulfur trapped by spunding is truly what you are tasting as IT  :)

The Beerery

« Reply #582 on: October 12, 2016, 04:52:55 pm »
Umm? Did you hit your head today?  Because you are not making any sense.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #583 on: October 12, 2016, 05:07:12 pm »
Umm? I don't follow, can you explain?

Fixed it for you. Don't be a dick.

narvin

« Reply #584 on: October 12, 2016, 05:20:45 pm »
Umm? Did you hit your head today?  Because you are not making any sense.

Good one!