Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 133039 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #615 on: October 13, 2016, 10:12:58 am »
What about things like sulfur dioxide coming from the fermentation?  Is it possible it could break down and release O2?

Heck no, not possible.

I have a bachelors in Chemical Engineering.

Yeah, I knew that, which is why I asked you.

Just stating it for benefit(?) of others. 8)

That said, I certainly don't claim to be a chemistry expert.  I happen to be a "paint guy" and I don't even understand all the chemistry of that either.  Been too many years since college.  I can however field a couple of the simplest questions.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #616 on: October 13, 2016, 10:27:44 am »
What about things like sulfur dioxide coming from the fermentation?  Is it possible it could break down and release O2?

Heck no, not possible.

I have a bachelors in Chemical Engineering.
That's what I thought, but I will let the people that know for sure say it. More of a mechanical/ geometry type guy myself.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #617 on: October 13, 2016, 10:29:12 am »
Interesting, but perhaps not surprising, that sumac has one of the highest ORACs. This is where the active component of BrewtanB is derived from if I'm not mistaken.

That is my understanding as well. 

Paranoid, thanks for bringing ORAC to my attention, now I have the explanation why plain old tannic acid from LHBS (chestnut I think) might not have the same effect as Brewtan.  Brewtan most likely has a higher ORAC. 

Do I have this right?  ORAC is NOT an O2 scavenger right?  It cannot remove O2 whereas SMB/ascorbic can. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #618 on: October 13, 2016, 10:34:33 am »
I think that's right. SMB will react directly with dissolved oxygen in the mash/sparge water. The ORAC compounds are antioxidants in the sense that they inhibit oxidation of other molecules. They are not direct oxygen (O2) scavengers. SMB scavenges O2.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #619 on: October 13, 2016, 10:44:05 am »
I think that's right. SMB will react directly with dissolved oxygen in the mash/sparge water. The ORAC compounds are antioxidants in the sense that they inhibit oxidation of other molecules. They are not direct oxygen (O2) scavengers. SMB scavenges O2.

Related to some research that I do, hydrazine (N2H4) would be the perfect replacement for SMB as the reaction with oxygen produces only nitrogen gas and water. Unfortunately for brewers, hydrazine oxidation requires a catalyst (typically in the form of metals not present in brewing).

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #620 on: October 13, 2016, 11:14:03 am »
Yeah...I don't think that I want to use rocket fuel in my beer...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #621 on: October 13, 2016, 11:15:49 am »
Hydrazine is also extremely carcinogenic.  Really really bad stuff.  We use it to deoxygenate cooling water in nuclear reactors.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

narvin

« Reply #622 on: October 13, 2016, 12:38:46 pm »

One wort was made with low o2 mashing procedures (light), the other was standard homebrewing procedures(dark).
The differences at that stage would be preboiled water and smb.

So you did not adjust acid additions to account for the extra pH drop from the smb?

Big Monk

« Reply #623 on: October 13, 2016, 12:47:42 pm »

One wort was made with low o2 mashing procedures (light), the other was standard homebrewing procedures(dark).

So you did not adjust acid additions to account for the extra pH drop from the smb?

The paper specifically references targeting, with software, a pH value 0.1 higher to account for the Δ from SMB use. Although in reality it is dose specific, so hard coding it in your water software may be something worth doing.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #624 on: October 13, 2016, 12:47:48 pm »

Not my photo. I believe brew monk commented above, saying the ph was adjusted the same. I don't think .1 would that drastic effect on color anyway.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #625 on: October 13, 2016, 01:10:47 pm »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=9230.msg113957#msg113957

Ask Gary what he thinks about smb ;)

The most interesting part about that thread is where Denny specifically states that he tried campden for its antioxidant properties for a year.  Note also that the thread was from 5 years ago.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #626 on: October 13, 2016, 01:14:47 pm »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=9230.msg113957#msg113957

The most interesting part about that thread is where Denny specifically states that he tried campden for its antioxidant properties for a year.  Note also that the thread was from 5 years ago.
Sorry yes. It wasn't Gary.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #627 on: October 13, 2016, 01:15:39 pm »

But he might not have been pre-boiling or racking and stirring gently. My water goes from kettle to bucket to cooler, I have no ability to try all of the techniques the GBF recommends. Considering it's all or nothing per the members, i won't be able to try any of it until I have a three vessel system with enough volume to hold all my water at once for pre-boiling.

Big Monk

« Reply #628 on: October 13, 2016, 01:20:21 pm »

But he might not have been pre-boiling or racking and stirring gently. My water goes from kettle to bucket to cooler, I have no ability to try all of the techniques the GBF recommends. Considering it's all or nothing per the members, i won't be able to try any of it until I have a three vessel system with enough volume to hold all my water at once for pre-boiling.

Do you use a cooler? Why not just pre-boil in your BK, then pump through the outlet valve to underlet your mash?

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #629 on: October 13, 2016, 01:22:14 pm »

I do it with 2 vessels  (kettle, cooler mash tun).